Election 1896 has begun!

Oh God… you are right. It is one human Vs several monsters. Not much of a choice, unless one is aligned either with Hell or in love with the Princess.

[quote=Sir Frederick][quote=millea]
Slowcake’s Amanuensis also looks vastly different - but I suppose I can understand that, given he didn’t have an unique portrait before.

But the Contrarian - much like the Princess - did, thanks to the previous election he appeared in. And his facial features have changed a lot - notably his slim nose and hairline.[/quote]

I think the Slowcake portrait is meant to be the &quot&quot&quot&quotman&quot&quot&quot&quot &quot&quot&quot&quothimself&quot&quot&quot&quot, rather than his Amanuensis? Also, that first Contrarian portrait also isn’t unique - it’s used for a number of other characters. So the real change is between the second and third portraits. And the second is rather stylised, even abstract.[/quote]

As far as I can tell, the Contrarian didn’t have a nose as big as now even in the stylized Election 1894 portrait.

I don’t have any way to say it better now and honestly it might sound rather petty, but I’m kind of annoyed he isn’t depicted as handsomely in the new portrait. This portrait isn’t of the Contrarian I knew.
edited by silurica on 6/18/2018

[quote=Sir Frederick][quote=millea]
Slowcake’s Amanuensis also looks vastly different - but I suppose I can understand that, given he didn’t have an unique portrait before.

But the Contrarian - much like the Princess - did, thanks to the previous election he appeared in. And his facial features have changed a lot - notably his slim nose and hairline.[/quote]

I think the Slowcake portrait is meant to be the &quot&quot&quot&quotman&quot&quot&quot&quot &quot&quot&quot&quothimself&quot&quot&quot&quot, rather than his Amanuensis? Also, that first Contrarian portrait also isn’t unique - it’s used for a number of other characters. So the real change is between the second and third portraits. And the second is rather stylised, even abstract.[/quote]

I realize that, but the portrait was used as basis for his appearance in the election poster. And stylised or not, you should keep facial features consistent. Stylisation isn’t changing the entire facial anatomy of a person.

[quote=silurica]Honestly, I’m bummed we don’t have social actions anymore this year but notability, a mechanic that only benefits late game players, is here to stay. (Or perhaps mid-late game, but we all know notability is even more annoying when you just recently became a PoSI and barely have BDR gears.)

Disappointed, really.[/quote]

Most likely, they pulled the plug on social actions this year because of how chaotic and potentially buggy it is - too many people stuck in a debate, and so on - which demands immediate attention from support. It is not a happy combination with the new website revamp, where things might also go awry :P

Re: Contrarian appearance.

Honestly I interpreted it as him getting older. And with the Princess’s less than ethical practices, she may very well be getting “younger”.

I can buy the Princess’ change as election propaganda. No problem with the Contrarian’s aging either, but making him uglier was a very weird choice. Again, unless they are deliberately doing eveything they can to make everyone unattractive this year.

I myself will back the Princess. She is likely to transform London in a honey induced dream full of excess. At least with her we’ll be getting some excitement! And nightmares… lots of nightmares…

[color=#ff9900]Dear lord.[/color]
[color=#ff9900]
[/color]
[color=#ff9900]- We knew the Princess would be an officer in Skies, and needed a new portrait for her.[/color]
[color=#ff9900]- Since we knew she was in Skies, we thought it’d be fun to use her more in Fallen london, too (we did this with some characters for Sea and Zubmariner too).[/color]
[color=#ff9900]- The art for her in Fallen London was very old, and the art department weren’t fond of it.[/color]
[color=#ff9900]- We asked the artist who did her Skies portrait to modify it into a Fallen London version representing her before the tumult of going into the heavens.[/color]
[color=#ff9900]- We specifically asked the artist to use the Skies portrait and modify it slightly, to make very clear it’s the same character. [/color]
[color=#ff9900]- This helps make the character consistent across both games. We hope, as happened with Sunless Sea, that Skies will bring new players to Fallen London, and we want them to recognise some faces.[/color]
[color=#ff9900]
[/color]
[color=#ff9900]I appreciate some players were fond of the old portrait. I’m afraid we weren’t, and this was a good opportunity to update it.[/color]
[color=#ff9900]
[/color]
[color=#ff9900]Any rude accusations of sloppiness or laziness will be treated exactly as the forum rules say they should be. I have zero problem with people critiquing our work, or preferring one piece of it to another. Everyone who works here has, without exception, had their heart broken when something we made wasn’t met with the resposne we hoped. That’s part of the job. Our audience is large and diverse, and different pieces of work are received with different amounts of enthusiasm by different people.[/color]
[color=#ff9900]
[/color]
[color=#ff9900]But I can tell you (through gritted teeth, because I am amazed it is necessary) that not one person at Failbetter - nor any of our freelancers or collaborators - is lazy. Everyone here busts their ass to provide the best stories, art, and games we can. You can critique the work without impugning our work ethic or diligence. If you want to do that, you can do it somewhere else.[/color]
[color=#ff9900]
[/color]
[color=#ff9900]I now return you to the shameful shennanigans and outrageous antics of election season.[/color]

I knew I should have gone back to being a Fixer, but since it’s easy to gain favours for several in the Campaigner branch I decided to stick with it.

A magnificent diamond for five reputation doesn’t seem too bad, but then I scrolled further down and saw that a single Favour in High Places can do the same for a Fixer. Considering how very easy it is to gain those, I’m tempted to burn a little Fate and change…

My only beef with the Captivating Princess portrait was that she reminded me of someone and I was racking my brain to find out who it was. Fortunately, I just came upon it: she bears a passing resamblance to actress Ashley Williams. I can rest now.

As for the Contrarian, I like that he looks older. It feels natural that his rather stressful intrigues have taken a toll on him.

Now I have to look for more info on the candidates, their platforms and their secrets. So far, the only of my characters that has a clear choice on who to support is A Morel, who will be on the Princess’ corner. Debauchery and sucking up to powerful (and monstruous) people are so very much his style.

This might be a stupid question from someone who’s been through two previous elections, but how do you actually advance your career?

I see the storylet for it and it tells me to spend Election Resources to advance, but I haven’t the slightest idea how to get Election Resources and I can’t remember how it worked last year except for all those social actions which are all gone this year.

Very convenient time for me to accidentally boot Slowcake out and drop my Notability by 2.

I hope I can effectively grind back to 15 in time.

[quote=Vryl]I knew I should have gone back to being a Fixer, but since it’s easy to gain favours for several in the Campaigner branch I decided to stick with it.

A magnificent diamond for five reputation doesn’t seem too bad, but then I scrolled further down and saw that a single Favour in High Places can do the same for a Fixer. Considering how very easy it is to gain those, I’m tempted to burn a little Fate and change…[/quote]

There’s the jewelery at the sidestreet, but it is a 5% chance when mass-trading clues for smaller diamonds. At least you will get a profit that way?

[quote=Siankan][quote=Kaijyuu]So our choices are a sockpuppet of hell, a literal monster, and the Contrarian.

Well, guess I’ll be Contrary this time.[/quote]
Basically. I never thought I’d be backing the Jovial Contrarian, but here we are.[/quote]

Honestly I can’t see myself getting behind anyone but JC either; but now I’m getting worried that FBG anticipated this reaction, expect the Contrarian to win in a landslide, and have secret ultra-dastardly plans for him that we won’t see coming. Then I get myself twisted in knots wondering whether it’s reverse psychology or not…!

My character has little choice. Slowcake is a committee or Hell (note that his &quotassistant&quot will be campaigning for &quothim&quot) and the Princess… those of us with the Nemesis Ambition have reason to find her even more abominable than Slowcake. So my character will be supporting the Contrarian though he seems more inconsistant than ever. Ah, London!

EDIT: Spoiler tagged the above, belatedly and rewriting what I originally said so that it actually makes sense.
edited by cathyr19355 on 6/18/2018
edited by cathyr19355 on 6/18/2018

[color=#e53e00]Hi,

I’d appreciate it if people could keep posts on topic and friendly. The forums got rather unfun for a few last year, and took a lot of moderation time. Our moderators are volunteers, and our forums are usually excellent places for role-play, game tips and criticism of the work. If this place gets heated, we cannot leave all the work to the volunteers.

We’d like to keep the focus on the elections - the more we feel obliged to supervise the forums, the less time we can spend actually making content. We appreciate the enthusiasm, we read all the feedback even if we don’t respond to it all personally. But we’d much rather be creating things for you than looming here.

Thanks. [/color]

[quote=silurica][quote=Sir Frederick][quote=millea]

As far as I can tell, the Contrarian didn’t have a nose as big as now even in the stylized Election 1894 portrait.

I don’t have any way to say it better now and honestly it might sound rather petty, but I’m kind of annoyed he isn’t depicted as handsomely in the new portrait. This portrait isn’t of the Contrarian I knew.
edited by silurica on 6/18/2018[/quote]

The Princess’ portrait bothers me the most because, if memory serves me right, she’s described as having bright red eyes. And out of honey, her eyes are brown. I know it’s a very small detail, but the fact she has blue eyes here feels off to me, to put it mildly. And then Contrarian… eh, he might have seen better years. :’)

[quote=nyana][quote=silurica][quote=Sir Frederick][quote=millea]

edited by silurica on 6/18/2018[/quote]

The Princess’ portrait bothers me the most because, if memory serves me right, she’s described as having bright red eyes. And out of honey, her eyes are brown. I know it’s a very small detail, but the fact she has blue eyes here feels off to me, to put it mildly. And then Contrarian… eh, he might have seen better years. :’)[/quote]

Yup, her eyes are described to ‘gleam red’ in the text where you meet her. Here’s an echo from someone’s journal: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/fortluna?fromEchoId=3207665

[quote=millea]
Yup, her eyes are described to ‘gleam red’ in the text where you meet her. Here’s an echo from someone’s journal: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/fortluna?fromEchoId=3207665[/quote]
While I do like the idea of her eyes being red, there is also a fate locked echo (when you invite her to your salon) saying she has &quoteyes of no singular colour.&quot
So they could be blue normally but gleam red, or simply shift with the light, or how recently she has had red honey, or some other reason.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Akernis?fromEchoId=11264145
edited by Akernis on 6/18/2018

We talk a lot of what the candidates appear right now but that’s only right now. We still have two weeks of secrets and surprises of each. For all we know even the Princess could come out looking the most captivating candidate.
I’m eager to see how the existence of Slowcake is handled, what could possibly be the Contrarian’ closet skeleton this year, and in general the legal matters of the Princess even running.