Connected: The Docks rework in progress!

I don’t quite understand why this is case in the first place but could we please have some quality text when we are at max Favours. So if we try to gain a favour when we are at 7 already, we should get a text along the lines of “This quality cannot increase past 7”. This is already a standard approach everywhere else in the game so not sure what went into this alternative approach… But in any case, just wanted to say that I find it quite unhelpful.

The Acacia and the Butterfly now needs Connected: the Widow 30 and Favours the Docks 5 - 7.
It says
Settle in the Widows Favour Lose all Docks favours, but get some increase in Connected: The Widow.
Make an agreement favouring the dock-gangs Great loss of Connected: The Widow,but get some Favours: The Docks.
Work long into the night forging a compromise solution Considerable loss of both Connected: The Widow and Favours: The Docks

I took the third option as my Favours Docks were at 7 and Widow at 114. I lost 1 Favour Docks and connected widow dropped to 112. The reward seems to be the same as before, giving 250 Jade; 1 Strong Backed Labour and a Bundle of Oddities

[color=#ff9900]Hi all! Just so you know: because this is a big chunk of changes to a lot of content, we’ll continue to monitor them and make appropriate tweaks.[/color]
[color=#ff9900]
[/color]
[color=#ff9900]Next on our list of Connected groups to move over to the Favour and Renown system is currently the tomb-colonists![/color]

Thanks, Chris! Off to burn a couple candles in the Forgotten Quarter and walk out with 7000 shrieks.

Well f**k.

If I’d known, I would have cashed in my Connected. Six months worth of grinding wasted.

I wish they’d kept a way to use up your Connected. I was expecting a warning on the notification bar at the top prior to the next change.
edited by fitz on 3/10/2016

Time to cash out Collections of Curiosities too, I bet.

[quote=Chris Gardiner][color=#ff9900]Hi all! Just so you know: because this is a big chunk of changes to a lot of content, we’ll continue to monitor them and make appropriate tweaks.[/color]
[color=#ff9900]
[/color]
[color=#ff9900]Next on our list of Connected groups to move over to the Favour and Renown system is currently the tomb-colonists![/color][/quote]

When you say next are you expecting that to be a multi month next or a next week kind of next?

Please and thank you.

Will the formula be the same for all factions though? Was this the formula used for Connected: Criminals?

I’m somewhat in a quandary about this. I like having my connections high; loads are around the 600 mark right now, three are higher and a few are (a lot) lower. But if these are going to disappear and all will use this formula and cap at 50 renown… Then money-wise I would be much better off to bleed all my connections back to 321.

But it doesn’t feel right to me to do this after all the work I put into getting them this high.

I’m sure Failbetter wouldn’t want to do this but you could change the conversion in such a way that every point above 321 is converted into some echos or items relevant to the faction (obviously not a great exchange rate as it wouldn’t cost you any actions).

[quote=Guy Scrum]I got 5 renown for 55 connected. Based on what was posted here, it looks like the formula is renown = (connected - 21) / 6, rounded down with a cap at 50, and favors = connected / 3 rounded up with a cap at 7. Does that look right to everyone?

If that is right, then you get way more bang for your connected buck if you have higher connected. My 1525 change points* of connected yielded 15 change points of renown (approximately 100:1), whereas Nigel’s 13875 change points of connected yielded 1081 change points of renown (approximately 13:1). The discrepancy is because the change points per level plateaus at 50, so each level of connected above that takes the same amount of work, while each extra level of converted renown represents more and more gain.

…It’d be nice if the formula were tweaked for the next faction to be kinder to the more connection-poor denizens.

• The formula for change points is cp = lvl * (lvl + 1) / 2 for lvl < 50, and cp = lvl * 50 - 1225 for cp > 50.[/quote]

I hope not. Today trading CoC to the Tomb Colonists requires some Connected with them, but it doesn’t cost any. I hope it remains so.

I hope not. Today trading CoC to the Tomb Colonists requires some Connected with them, but it doesn’t cost any. I hope it remains so.[/quote]
It’ll probably require renown, which may be troublesome to get, but is viable. It makes sense, after all- tomb colonists need to know you can be trusted before they’ll trade with you.

Also, hopefully they’ll leave the more obscure ones as they are- i’m fine with connected- the widow, and with connected the masters, and i know there are people frantically gathering those.
edited by Grenem on 3/10/2016

Does anything new unlock when you have high Renown Docks?

If it’s like the other time- nothing new, but some old stuff remade.

You need 20 renown docks to sponsor an expedition to the farthest reaches of zee, which is quite helpful in making whirring contraptions. If you spend 2000 prisoner’s honey and 10 echoes, it’ll either return 450 scarabs, admittedly a loss, or a whirring contraption, which costs 60 echoes to make elsewhere.

Assuming that both outcomes are equally likely (note the whirring contraption is a normal success, and therefore probably the more likely), there’s no reason not to use it.

Sometimes you’ll fail the persuasive check but failure only wastes time. no resources lost and no scandal.

[quote=A B Nile]I’m maxed Shadowy, and like I said I now need Moods to get past 43 (having started on 18). So I’m not even sure it’s possible to get to 50, let alone beyond it.[/quote]To get to Renown 50 you’d need Shadowy at 294. You can get +88 Shadowy with Fate items and +83 without. So you’d need to be a Invisible Eminence to get to 50, but it can be done.
The same goes for Dangerous.

[quote=lady ciel ]The Acacia and the Butterfly now needs Connected: the Widow 30 and Favours the Docks 5 - 7. It says Settle in the Widows Favour Lose all Docks favours, but get some increase in Connected: The Widow. Make an agreement favouring the dock-gangs Great loss of Connected: The Widow,but get some Favours: The Docks.[/quote]Yes. This is awesome! I’m glad the Favors for cash from the Criminals & Constables card didn’t apply to all of the conflict cards. I like the idea of trading Favours for Favours.

[quote=Chris Gardiner][color=#ff9900]Next on our list of Connected groups to move over to the Favour and Renown system is currently the tomb-colonists![/color][/quote]Of course it’s my lowest Connection! Looks like I’ve got a lot of card flipping to do between now and then.

One more question. Is there an Implausible Penance type card for Docks now?

I have not seen one, so it seems likely that you can only cash in by stockpiling for expeditions, favoring the widow over the docks on their conflict card, or by calling in favors at the docks. in order of payout magnitude per favor, or my best approximation:

[ul][li] favoring widow with 5 favors from the docks: it looks like this gives 24 echoes in jade and 12.5 favors in high places. over 7 echoes per favor.[/li][li]Buying expedition supplies from the docks until you’re at 5 favors, then favoring the widow.[/li][li]Cashing in favors for glim until you’re at 5 favors, then favoring the widow.[/li][li]cashing in 6 or 7 favors with the widow. even at 7, it’s roughly pricing a favor at 5 echoes, which isn’t bad. it’s still a waste, though, since you lose all your favors regardless of if you’re at 5 or 7.
[/li][li]Buying expedition supplies- 4 supplies for 50 rostygold and the favor has a replacement cost of ~2 more actions and 5.2 echoes. On the other hand, most people don’t do lots of expeditions, and for many with lower watchful, this is less valuable. expeditions are not very profitable early on, and you need to spend the supplies to benefit. on the other hand, you can stay in the perfect range for docks vs. urchins conflict cards here, so it’s not a bad idea.
[/li][li]Cashing in favors for glim. 3 echoes, less whatever your usual epa is, is the expected value for this one.
[/li][li]favoring urchins on docks vs. urchins (Readers from the future, take this with salt, we haven’t finished converting to favors yet). 1 favor for 30 cp urchins and 50 pence in hankercheifs. yay. This will get better when urchins swap to the same system, though.
[/li][/ul]

[quote=fitz]Well f**k.

If I’d known, I would have cashed in my Connected. Six months worth of grinding wasted.

I wish they’d kept a way to use up your Connected. I was expecting a warning on the notification bar at the top prior to the next change.
edited by fitz on 3/10/2016[/quote]

Right? I was really disappointed to discover this, though it wasn’t six months of grinding for me.

That said, I still like the new system from what I’ve experienced of it, so far, and I understand that things can get overwhelming and announcements too easily forgotten.

And we know that Tomb-Colonies are next, thank you Chris! :)

Hey, what happened to the option to meet Zailors and Criminals at Miss Plenty’s Carnival?

If you’ve renown with either group over 5 it’s now invisible.

If you’ve renown with either group over 5 it’s now invisible.[/quote]
Ah.

It would be nice if they eventually substituted a new option to just hang out and do carnival stuff together that doesn’t give favors or renown, with benefits or flavor text depending on your current level of renown. Under the new system this meeting place will eventually lose importance as your renown raises and all the options to meet people disappear. I think they should keep the carnival interesting. It is the most Exciting Carnival after all.

This is a cool suggestion. It is a bit of a shame that there might end up being no reason to visit the Carnival ever again. No Unfinished Business, after all…

Although, that makes me think. What if the Carnival did have an Unfinished Business equivalent for Favours, given that the transition to cards makes previously existing grinds kind of weird?

Like, all 5-action options, all grant one Favour and an assortment of other things based on Renown levels, maybe a menace as well (what is a most exciting carnival, after all, if it doesn’t throw menaces at you?)

This might be a way to allow people to reliably acquire Favours without universally waiting for card draws, but not unbalance the whole thing.

(In fact I wouldn’t be surprised if maybe something like this was already under consideration.)