Confessions

Three things.

First, if anyone has not yet reached Confessions 3: the four lesser Confessions can take you all the way up to Confessions 5. So if you manage to send out more than six, you can still benefit. If any are still open when you reach Confessions 5, though, you should cancel them – they won’t do you any good, but will use up your acquaintance’s Menaces and one of their actions.

Second, I have a Starveling Cat I’m willing to lend. I’d like it back once the feast is over, though. I’m not sure why. Anyway, if you’d like to borrow it, let me know.

Third, I’ve accepted all but one of my invitations, so this is a good time to send more. I’ve confessed 32 times and am going to send some invitations of my own before I get back to fessing up to things, but I will, either today or tomorrow.
edited by Sebastian Flyte on 11/10/2013

Is Confessions 5 the maximum, then? Good to know. Well, I’m trying to keep Fred and Hubris open for POSI invites as much as possible, and Juniper and Ms Esther open for regular ones, so invite 'em if you see 'em, folks.

Confessions 5 is the maximum that the non-PoSI confessions will get you; I don’t think the toothsome confessions are capped. Highest Confessions level anyone has at the minute that I know of is 9.

Ah, good good! I was faintly hopeful that 5 was the absolute cap, 'cause then I could stop seeking Confessions and focus on keeping my Menaces up for everyone else. Incidentally, I must say I’m terribly impressed with how quickly that relational qualities bug was fixed up, and how well it’s all working now! We must all be accumulating comically long lists of Trusts.

I wish to make a confession. A confession for which I have bled, have had my dreams invaded, become a pariah and am watched continually by the authorities. I wish to confess regarding what it is that I have been seeking, that I have been warned against seeking at every turn. Yet, I wish to further assuage my guilt by hearing that I have not been alone, that others have done as I have done. Please, let me know if such a soul exists that would be interested in a mutual trade (my username is Tophernator)

I can’t help but wonder if this is an experiment by Failbetter to see how quickly every user can be connected to each other.

I just hope that this is worth it. I’m accepting every invitation to confess that I get but that makes it very difficult to actually have the actions to send out invitations of my own and when I do get the opportunity the people who I have confessed to are very rarely in my contact list. I just hope that having a high Trust level is worth more than a high Confession level:)

I think that I will not accept any invitations until I manage to get all my menaces to 5 and use the Seeker option. If you are mad enough to want to do the same please let me know.

Here are some thoughts on how to avoid frustration.

[ol][li]If you have only one action, don’t use it to accept an invitation. This will take away your lovely Menaces, and people won’t be able to send you invitations. They will gnash their teeth and mentally revile you, particularly if they’ve accepted one of your invitations. Instead, save up four or five actions so you can replenish your Menaces right away. It’s more important to be open to invitations than to accept them a little quicker.[/li]
[li]Don’t try to accept every invitation before sending out your own. If everyone did that, the process would go very slowly. Instead, try setting a target number of open invitations – say, seven or so. If you’re only waiting for three or four people to accept them, send another batch before getting back to work on those you’ve received.[/li]
[li]If you’re still seeking the basic Confessions – Guile, Violence, Curiosity, Impropriety – invite people to confess Impropriety whenever you can. This is because they can raise Scandal to 3 simply by equipping items. If you ask them to confess something else, they have to spend extra actions raising their Menaces again.[/li][/ol]
Have I missed anything important?

I think part of the problem is that once you get to Confessions 3 you do not need to have any menaces to send out an invitation. Then to even to be asked for Confession of Pride or Whimsy you have to be POSI and have the required menaces. I expect that at least some of the invitations I have accepted are from people who will not be available simply because they are not POSI.

Lady ciel – people who aren’t PoSIs can’t send Pride or Whimsy invitations. They can still send you the others, though, so long as their Confessions is less than 3.

Basically: if you get invited to confess Pride or Whimsy, that person has the ability to reciprocate. They just need to raise their Menaces. If you get invited to confess something else, it may be from a non-PoSI who can’t give you a confession back.

I’m looking for all kinds of confessions at the moment; however, I can’t take POSI confessions, not being one myself. I’ve sent all I can send, alas.

I am a Seeker, but I do not believe anything productive comes out of that, and I won’t get any text I can echo, so. :U

Did the “speak of something terrible” option at the Palace vanish for anyone else? I’ve got enough gear that I don’t need to grind Scandal there, I’m just puzzled.

It’s apparently locked with Unaccountably Peckish 6.
edited by Sara Hysaro on 11/11/2013

Ah, that would do it. Thanks. (This is a philosophical thing, I realize, but I do wish branches would show themselves even when locked, because then I could know how to get them or get them back.)

I think a lot of branches do, and that makes the exceptions stand out a little more. I got a little aggravated with it in Silver Tree because everything was hidden, and while you could get around it by getting everything up it would be a bit easier to recall what I’ve done before if the branches were always there.

Oh, and anybody looking for Confessions can try my alt, Madison Lavery. She usually qualifies for Whimsy, and that one is easy to build up. Gloria Marie Valdez is good for Wounds and Nightmares right now, but she’s not a POSI yet. I’m currently working through some requests (I think I have 5 right now).

I believe I can provide scandalous confessions, but I am not suspicious enough for whimsy.

Also: I have a few more cats to borrow, if anyone wants one.
edited by Alexander Feld on 11/11/2013

At this precise moment, I have enough wounds and nightmares to offer a confession of pride. The last time I posted something similar, though, for whimsy, I had four requests pop through in seconds, before I even got to revise the post!

Annnnnnnnnnd taken.
edited by Otaara on 11/11/2013

Holy wow I went to sleep when I had 3 nightmares and wounds and now I have 26 pending confessions. Almost all Pride. This is gonna take a while to get through.

Spacemarine9 - I put myself into the Pickpockets Promenade overnight so didn’t have that problem at least:)
My menaces are now all at 5 and I now need another mad seeker. I’m waiting on a response to a PM though so will still not be accepting any other invitations until I have found out what the SMEN option says.