An introduction feels a little counterproductive.

Okay, I think I read “Future Tence” and did not enjoy it, and decided that all the fuss was over nothing, now that I’ve seen the list.

I guess it’s in my nature to try to work out what’s ‘best’ even if it’s ‘best way to get as much story as possible’ a terrible curse indeed.

That’s harsh on Vance, man.

Anyway, at your level, the best way to get as much story as possible is to just do the stories. Practically nothing you can do will lock you out of anything important later. Grinding is almost totally unnecessary until you’re going to become a PoSI, so you have time yet.

For now, ruminations on efficient ppa are a waste of valuable story time. Yes, yes, I know you can spend the time between actions doing so, but the point remains.

I notice that you don’t try to tell me that it isn’t his best work, or that it’s not indicative of the quality of the rest…

And from then on it’s Welcome to Grinding London, home of the Grindy-Minded and where Grinding becomes a second nature and aficionados spell the word with a capital &quotG&quot. I bet we were all Millers in our past lives. Grinding is so much a part of me now that I have taken to grinding my living room furniture to dust just to keep sharp for the game.

NO-ONE ESCAPES THE GRIND NO USE RUNNING MUUUUUAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

edited by dharthoorn on 10/3/2014

I do so try to not look things up until after I’ve passed beyond the choice given, I’ve taken sides in the conflict between the constables and hell.

Seems that while I am subtle enough to let the deviless court me, for the gains such circles can offer, I’ll still side with the constables over the damned. I suspected this when I assisted the quiet deviless at the piano… course maybe I’m just a sheaphard and don’t know it yet.

On the other hand, I’ve no issue snubbing the law, I’m ruthless like that, and when it came to the last constable I’m steadfast.

Now, I am the constable’s pet, and it seems I can never be a trickster.

I had a look at the job item. a +6/+6 item. 12 points of bonus. That’s as much as everything I have together right now. Can somebody assure me that other professions in that tier are just as good?

I do get the feeling that if this tag, this taunt of character, this stain on my black reputation of heartlessness was to someday really matter, I’d have a chance to betray the trust of the constables, turn this into a deep cover plot for the devils, much like the myriad betrayals of the great game…

Do I have the right of it, or at least the correct shape?

You can still become a Trickster - you just need to use the Urchins not Hell.

All of the profession items at that tier give the same total of stats but for other stats and in different slots - pets, hats or weapons

Edit to add actually they are all 6/6; the next tier is 9/9 and 1 point of BDR; then 12/12 and 1 point of BDR unless you are taking the Watcher branch where the item is only 3/3 and 1 Point, there are reasons.
edited by reveurciel on 10/6/2014

Maybe I should try a differnt Vance story…

A constellation of shining stones orbits his hat!

Yha, I just drew that card, again.

Part of me wants to put the stone on my mantelpiece.
Part of me wants to see if the odds will go with me again.

I seem to have hit some duldrums. I’ve got cards that let me daytrip to the tier 2 locations, but I find nothing to do in them, my stats are not high enough.

I’ve completed every quest and mission open in the first 4 locations.

Looks like I’m just grinding my way until 60 when the next set of locations becomes worth being at, I guess…

Still enjoying the game, and if there IS plot that I might have missed, do let me know.

Might be time to let myself die, or get into a state of some confusion, or mirror marsh or… well, I’ve already been in the prison… the toumb colonies?

The housing location that takes 500 romantic notions (a 2nd level item) is vastly more anoying to try to get then the other 3 card locations in town. Maybe I’ll try those “remote location” cards I’ve seen mentioned.

I remember hitting that state myself around that time. I think that was about the time that I started doing archaeological expeditions, something that intrigued me so much that it pulled me out of it.

Things to consider:

It’s easy to advance so quickly at that stage that you skipped some content and stories. I recommend taking up a Talkative Rattus Faber as your companion and revisiting old areas, if you haven’t already. Even if nothing new shows up, it may make progressing somewhat easier by lowering your stats to the point that you can gain CP against old challenges that won’t increase your menaces.

If that doesn’t work, you might also try switching your focus from content to acquiring the 28.8 echo stat-boosting items. They’ll add +5 to your stats, and for certain stats, that could add around +20, which could help you reach 60 or 80 to reach those new areas. Just switching your focus by itself might pull you out of those doldrums.

Third thing to consider. Create another account with a completely different type of character who will make different choices. See things from a different perspective. Sometimes that will revitalize things as well.

Best wishes.

Yeah, the Talkative LB is extremely useful, despite the fact that in practical terms he’s the most harmful item in the game short of something that reduces your CP or raises Menaces. If nothing else, you can hunt Impossible challenges that won’t raise your Menaces–even on a failure, an Impossible challenge will give you more CP than succeeding on a Chancy or Very Chancy challenge would.

I’m … not actually sure I’ve seen anything that shows up as “impossible” yet… I will keep my eye out.

I’ve used the LB a few times, when I turned in my first reward from time, I found myself jumped more then 20 points in watchful, what a shock, so much missed content…

I think that the really tough challenges are marked as “Almost Impossible”.

Almost…

OH, I DID see one of those.

I ground investigating to 28 in order to pass it. Given the chance to seduce both siblings, well, they dangled the almost implssible infront of my face, and it took me two days to grind up for it.

… My luck, runs very strange.

Ask why he is thus adorned

This is a third time in a week. I think I’m going to get 10 more distant shores, and set that aside until I need them for the university.

If I get bored of playing the game strait, I might have to try to find some chalenges I can ramp up to almost impossible, without menaces.

Not just fail. Fail Better.

It is an odd turn in the seasons of the mind.

The connections that I had meerly thought of as tokens, to by, trade, sell, betray as needed to gain some few paltry echoes of goods, they are starting to become of value to me.

I’m discovering the actions of forces behind each of these regions. Finding those that must be appeased and cajoled. Discovering that if I am on the out with them, that it costs me opportunities.

I think at the next chance to pause and catch my breath, I will use tickets to get each of the reputations to 10, that can be done easily there.

Then I will seek to raise the ones that have tier 2 jobs to a level high enough to unlock them.

To juggle this desire with the learning of what news I can, should occupy me for a long while.

It seems a more reasonable occupation then puzzling over this raven of mine and the possible ways it can grow, or debating with myself the possible worth of a rubbery instrument.

I am growing a list of riddles, the stories resolve, or reach such an ending that is all the resolution I will ever get, my riddles are things of mechanics, and I am enjoying this journey.

(don’t stop, believing… Hold onto that feeling)

So, As you can tell, I … I flip a LOT of cards.

My fire sermon nightmare just hit 2.

I disposed of the flint Idol a LONG time ago now… though I do have a small doubt that it’s really disposed of… and wonder if I really did the right thing…

It occures to me though, that it’s not really likely that I’d have had 11 fire sermon before that dream. The starveling cat, maybe, the other possibilities I saw as unlocks, okay… but stage 11 in a dream that’s this rare for me… unlikely.

Is it safe to conclude that such an unusual combination of a late game level in an ability, in a plot line that happens early, was placed as bonus content for high level players, who saw it released long after they started?

I know when i first played the game card rarities hadn’t been introduced so dreams were a lot easier to raise. (A state of some confusion also completely reset them though so…)

(Both of them are really old pieces of content; they were in when I first started playing in like, 2010)

I’m starting to think that, Counting the Days, Spending Secrets, and A Pocketful of Loose Change are mechanics that I don’t understand, but should. I’ve sort of sorted on &quotsomeone is coming&quot though I don’t really have much use for that much scream, though it’s nice to be able to sell it for some echoes, so I don’t mind the card.
I’ve been seeing them showing up in quite a few places.

Might also want to rethink my &quotclosest to&quot a touch, I picked it for appearances, but it does me little good.

Something to think about at least.

I’m chasing clay jacks for leathery hearts and grinding my dangerous up to 60. Passing the time.

Speaking of, time visited, and I’ve not seen what I am nearly sure is the longest durration activity on the site.

10 turns to turn trade secret into searing enigma… that I might as well sell off as I don’t need it yet and the echoes means quite a nice bit of equipment… and the 5 antique mysteries I need to start growing my raven ever more pale and beautiful.

… hrm…

I’m having some luck grinding connections to 25… well, some of them. Great game is … tricky.
edited by ICountFrom0 on 10/16/2014
edited by ICountFrom0 on 10/16/2014

“Someone is coming” will make itself useful in several situations, but you don’t really ever need to worry about gaining it. It’s more or less increasing the likelihood of a fortunate coincidence.

Well, I have &quota little omen&quot …

Honestly not sure what to do with it.

Moods sound more useful when you’ve got crazy insane difficult things to do, but right now anything that I can access is unlocked at 55% difficulty.

On the other hand, I don’t want to discard a rare card.
edited by ICountFrom0 on 10/18/2014

The most useful thing probably is using it to unlock things that have a minimum stat requirement.