An introduction feels a little counterproductive.

It feels like one wants to not be noticed by the bigger fish that swim the neath, and yet here I am, taking my chances.

I’m taking care of myself, and reading the &quotadvice for new players&quot topic. Quite a few pages and I’m slowly working through it, noticing the things that I understand, and saving notes for myself on the ones that I don’t.

Yet I get the impression that there are things that I am missing, and things I will never understand. Quite a large world here, one I look forward to being able to explore for many and many a night.

I can see a list of things I’ve subscribed to, but no way to add to that, so for now I’m going to add this here so I can use it latter when it makes sense to me :
http://community.failbettergames.com/topic6167-list-of-living-stories.aspx
Item Conversions - Echo Bazaar
http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/Spending_Secrets_and_Counting_the_Days_(Guide)
http://community.failbettergames.com/topic1100-making-money-in-polythreme.aspx
http://community.failbettergames.com/topic804-an-indepth-look-at-money-options.aspx
edited by ICountFrom0 on 3/15/2015

What do you want to know?

Ah, now that’s the question isn’t it.

If I knew what I didn’t know, then I’d know I needed to know it, but that’s something that I don’t know.

I do thank you for such an offer.

I think what you probably want is some general resources?

And to show a willingness to operate with and within this community, not just play the game alone for only my own ends.

I’m working through some basic plots, none of my stats are over 20 yet. I’m constantly broke with no echoes and nothing that sells for much, but the advice topic tells me this is normal and not to worry.

The blackout on fate linked actions has me a little worried, I’d love to put a little money where my mouth is, but not knowing what I’d get for my money is a little frustrating. I’ll make up my mind about it over time.

I don’t know anybody else who plays, nor anybody I think I could get to play, so all the story-lines that include &quotif only you had somebody else&quot or &quotinvite somebody else&quot … is there any point to them? Is there something I could be getting out of it just from sending some names?

It comes down to feeling lost, but accepting that to be the nature of the mystery. I’d not be nearly as hooked if I knew everything.

After your stats hit 30 you’ll start getting plagued by menaces when you fail at actions (e.g. you start getting nightmares when you fail a Watchful challenge). Other players can help you getting rid of these menaces. Also, you can become the protege of a patron (or various patrons) to help raise your stats quicker. In this section of the Forum you’ll find people to help you with these things, and many other besides ;)[li]
[/li]
edited by Rupho Schartenhauer on 9/20/2014

[quote=Rupho Schartenhauer]
After your stats hit 30 you’ll start getting plagued by menaces when you fail at actions (e.g. you start getting nightmares when you fail a Watchful challenge). Other players can help you getting rid of these menaces.edited by Rupho Schartenhauer on 9/20/2014[/quote]

Sadly I mean the ones that ask you to send a message to somebody on the surface, ones that specifically say somebody /not/ playing.

There’s a thread in these forums where people ranked the Fate-locked content on how relevant/interesting/rewarding they thought it was:
http://community.failbettergames.com/topic87-fatelocked-content.aspx
At least for the first few posts.

[quote=Ben ][quote=Rupho Schartenhauer]
After your stats hit 30 you’ll start getting plagued by menaces when you fail at actions (e.g. you start getting nightmares when you fail a Watchful challenge). Other players can help you getting rid of these menaces.edited by Rupho Schartenhauer on 9/20/2014[/quote]

Sadly I mean the ones that ask you to send a message to somebody on the surface, ones that specifically say somebody /not/ playing.[/quote]

Those usually give you some little reward. They’re mainly there for recruiting purposes.

[quote=dragonridingsorceress]
Those usually give you some little reward. They’re mainly there for recruiting purposes.[/quote]

Thank you.

Does it require that they actually join? I get it just for bothering them?

[quote=Ben ][quote=dragonridingsorceress]
Those usually give you some little reward. They’re mainly there for recruiting purposes.[/quote]

Thank you.

Does it require that they actually join? I get it just for bothering them?[/quote]

You get something just for sending the invitation, Failbetter have changed the rewards recently and I can’t remember exactly what you get for each option. The person you send it to doesn’t have to join but if they do you get a little bonus.

You can always set up another email to use for invitations so you don’t bother/spam any of your RL friends.

I’ve gotten the &quotspent time with an acquaintance&quot card a few times, but I don’t have any of them unlocked… are they missable?

I don’t think you can miss them, but they are tricky to find as they are stat and/or location dependent.
You find the soldier as an opportunity card in Watchmaker’s Hill, this is a dangerous challenge.

The Forger can be found in New Newgate - or you can spend fate to make his acquaintance as part of another story.

The Music-hall singer comes from working with the Honey-addled Detective in Ladybones Road or from a high level persuasive card.

The Wry Functionary is a rare success on the Veilgarden storylet Correspond with a contact at the Shuttered Palace, which needs persuasive 56 to appear.

well, I’ve encountered this message

&quotThis will begin an epic tale of struggle and heroism. &quot

I suspect this is something big. For those that are further then me, I’m looking at
&quotEnjoy a picnic on the marsh’s edge&quot

I’m grinding away at the other option on the hill, getting good rewards in items that are sold for echoes, while grinding up my lowest stat.

I’m not even to 20 in everything, I tend to be at one place doing whatever story I can find to unlock there, writing about fungus, seducing somebody, hunting giant rats, until I’ve finished one and that stat isn’t the lowest anymore, then head to the place my lowest stat now is.

I think things are happening but it feels a little like haphazard progress.

I also feel like I’ve passed beyond the tutorial now, I’ve finished the little storylines about the surface and broke ties.

Just not sure if I should dive into a major plot this early.

Is there anything I likely missed? Would a list of something, from somewhere?

The story in question is basically aimed for people at your level and the rewards are pretty good for early game stuff.

Nothing locked out if I start this now? Nothing else I should make sure to have done first?

Rather the opposite. Make sure you do that story before doing a certain other story.

The only major areas that’re locked out later on by doing storylines are the University and the Court storylines once you finish them, at least that I can remember.

(Well and progression content that’s tied to stat levels, but most of that is single storylets, so)

Lets see, I’ve also started a statue made of flint on my dresser, and some broken toys, are those the ones I better be careful about?

So, two things about this forum that I’m trying to figure out

1. There’s a subscriptions mentioned in the settings, but I can’t find a way to add to it
  2. My &quotunread topics&quot list is getting longer and longer, even when I’ve clicked into it, even if I view every post on the board, anything that was added since the day I joined goes in the list and it acts like I’ve not seen any of them. What gives?

Not those stories but another one about rats.

Sorry can’t answer your questions about the forum, but that unread topics thing is annoying. The only time I get it back to 0 is when I clear my cache and cookies.