An introduction feels a little counterproductive.

Having all of the 3-card lodgings does have a benefit around level 100, but there are other ways to accomplish what that does.

shrugs it gives me something to grind towards. Candles for the prison, I’d like to have some before I fail at getting glim enough times that I get arrested again.

I could head back to ladybones and see if the requirements in that story have crept back above 30% … I’ve got more second chances too…

But nothing to grind for candles at my level?

I like the three card lodgings, some of them eventually give pretty good rewards.

By the way candles give you a non-card based way of getting out of New Newgate but if you want to use time in jail to meet the repentant Forger, or because of an ambition, you will want to be flipping the cards until you get the ones you need.

have you played the Curate and his Sister? It looks like you can get candles there while raising your investigating, it is a low level persuasive storylet in Veilgarden

Has anyone shown you the wiki yet?

http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Foxfire_Candle_Stub_Sources

I’m rather fond of this one, because it has these lovely “Source” pages for every item. Just type in “<item name> Source” in the search box to get there.

Maybe someday I’ll join the wiki and make some resource grinding links that can be understood without massive spoilers.

Lets face it, that foxfire candle stub sources has 39 sources, but less then a dozen of them are even possible at my stage. To understand them all takes quite a bit of backtracking, side tracking, and cross referencing. For quite a while any time I looked for something in the wiki I ended up in retired holiday content and was unable to find any sources that where not… embarrassing to say the least.

Now, there is a very lovely, and much refined page on how to grind with capped stats at endgame.

Perhaps for stats under 30 it could be worked into the newbie guide?

The next breakpoint perhaps would be 40+ when you unlock the first paths?

Then perhaps 80?

I’m sure grinding for POSI is a chapter in itself…

I’ve not the slightest clue where the ranges from there to endgame grinding would be broken up into useful bites.

Course, I’ve wandered off topic, assuming that I had much of a thought in the first place, at an hour like this…

I’ll produce one example.

“Encourage him to return to the Monk”

It’s a nice source of 300 candles.

Looks like it’s a bronze card, 40 stat, I could reach that. Does not seem location specific.

Then I notice after checking my equipment that it’s on the other path.

That’s 10 minutes. I learned from that, and one of the things I learned was how to find things faster next time.

So, taking what I learned, picked another at random, “Fresh fungi for her grave”. Okay, 45 shadowy, I’ll get there before too long. What’s it in? “As silent as the grave?” Okay, that’s a card.

Check that against the card list, locations, find it isn’t tied to a specific location.

Still, it’s a card, not the best way to grind, cards, but it would be a source. That took only 5 minutes.

So, picture me trying this with all 39 entries. I’d spoil huge chunks of the game for myself, burn up quite a bit of time. Or I can reach out in companionship and comradery to others who also play, and love this experience.

Course, maybe I’ve upset you with one too many questions, in that case, you have my apology, and if that’s all you needed…

There are never too many questions and I agree that the wiki is difficult to navigate and full of spoilers when you are looking for sources of an item. But I am happy to take a quick look when a new player asks as I am way beyond the lower level stuff.

Maybe a midgame guide would be useful but I don’t edit the wiki.

[quote=Ben ]Or I can reach out in companionship and comradery to others who also play, and love this experience.[/quote]This method is probably the best one, even when considering the risk of inaccurate information. The wiki is of course a lot handier when one is a stat-capped PoSI, at which point many of the requirements are fulfilled.

I was trying to be helpful. For static things like “Where do I find X?”, I prefer to go directly to the wiki, rather than the maybe-someone-will-answer-today game that is a forum.

Admittedly, this is one of the best forums I’ve ever seen for getting quick answers, but still.

[quote=Ben ] Maybe someday I’ll join the wiki and make some resource grinding links that can be understood without massive spoilers.

Lets face it, that foxfire candle stub sources has 39 sources …[/quote]

I reckon you should try more fumbling around the game exploring. Make errors. Waste time. Still talk to us here, I’m not saying go away, not at all - I’m quite enjoying the process of re-playing the game by proxy. But I think you might be missing out on some of the pleasures of discovering things as if you are actually in the world of Fallen London, with no recourse to answers, unable to avoid dead ends. Because you’re aware of the Wiki/Forum, you are looking for most efficient routes, swiftly. I’ve actively avoided such knowledge (except when goat grinding) because I like that pleased squirm of messing up loads and then FINDING. I’m lower stats/poorer than many of the other long term players, but - meh - I’ve played it myyyyyy waaaaaaaay. (I’ll stop singing now.)

Of course, not everyone likes being frustrated (how odd!). In which case, keep asking, but don’t take a Wiki suggestion as a ‘go away’, but just a bonus resource. :-)

Speaking of oddities and wikis…

http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/A_dreamless_sleep

Airs of london 101+ …

The chart lists possibilities of weather from 0 to 100.

Is this just another way of showing a locked content, but unlike using “impossible” to gate it, it just is never going to happen?

Once you get POSI the best sources of nearly every basic level item is Unfinished Business, including Foxfire Candles.

Becoming POSI doesn’t take any grinding unless you are treating it as an end in itself, you should get to 100 in all the stats easily just doing all the progression story content.

And a dreamless sleep is just Airs of London 100, I’ve gotten that before (in fact if I get the Airs 100 message I’ll generally go and use it). I’m not quite sure what’s up with the wiki’s prerequisite.

A year ago I’m pretty sure I could get The Airs of London up to 108 or so. Which always seemed a bit strange to me. Judging by certain results in the wiki it also seemed as if those airs were increased rather than just rerolled, and that the final 100+ result could the be ‘cashed in’ or something, setting the airs back to zero.

The cavalry officer in “Rob a drunk” used to just set airs back to zero. That was also back when Bundles of Oddities were fixed, so the anonymous wretch always had bundles with Primordial Shrieks, allowing very low level characters to get ~1 Echo/Action by robbing that guy. Made a lot of low-level rewards rather pointless since it was possible to just rob that drunk and sell the shrieks and buy whatever resources another storylet or card might offer as a reward. Not to mention all the bundles that always gave 1-8 x Compromising Document. Without those I guess Thefts of a Particular Character are actually worth doing.

I’ve hit a gold card, a really strange one.

A gentleman … soberly dressed in all respects except one. A constellation of shining stones orbits his hat!

A disgraceful spectical indeed…

Can I really loop this for as many of one of the options as I want, and then walk away with a unique item? (Unique, but useless shop bait mind)

Is it better then grinding?

If you think that 50 ppa is good enough, then I guess it’s good enough? Or if you just need a few more Memories of Distant Shores to get to 50 so you can side-convert them, which would also be 50 ppa, for as long as you want. But if you’re going to grind, then you should really grind your stats high enough until you think that 50 ppa is no longer worth your time.

[quote=Ben ]I’ve hit a gold card, a really strange one.

A gentleman … soberly dressed in all respects except one. A constellation of shining stones orbits his hat!

A disgraceful spectical indeed…

Can I really loop this for as many of one of the options as I want, and then walk away with a unique item? (Unique, but useless shop bait mind)

Is it better then grinding?[/quote]

Is that the Jack Vance tribute card? Ooh.

You can take an item–it’ll be worth 12.50 ish, I think. I’ve kept mine because sentimental value. Theoretically the card could pop back once you’ve sold said unique item. But considering how full your average fl deck is, it’s very doubtful you’d see it again any time soon.

I’ve sold my Headfull of Picaresque Tales every time I got one; a 12.50 echo item is significantly better than the payout of most cards in my deck.

I’ve no idea who Jack Vance is, but I’m oddly more tempted by the floating stone (and it sells for the same amount) I’d guess that it would lock the card just as much as the tales?

hrm, perhaps a better question then “is 50 ppa wothwhile” is, “distant shores, is there an advantage to a hoard of them”

I’m grinding on persuasive to 45-50 range. Dangerous is already there. Watchful is already there.

It is rather pretty just sitting there.

Keeping either the Stone or the Tales will lock you out from drawing the card again. You can sell either for 12.5 Echoes, at which point the card will be unlocked and you can draw it again.

This early in the game, you shouldn’t be worried about grinding or hoarding. Just enjoy the stories and try everything. You’ll soon work out what you actually want to advance, and at what rate, rather than trying to plan everything out.

BLASPHEMY.

If you enjoy Fallen London, you might enjoy reading some of his stuff.