Ambition: Enigma [OLD]

Likewise. A clue to the clue, or at least a place to start the search?

Well, for starters, I don’t have the Enigma. But some clues can be found in the very beginning of your adventure. Your very first act, so to say.

Well! I can confirm that the IRC was definitely overthinking it significantly for a long time. Whew. That was a bunch of fun - thank you, Alexis. Looking forwards to further updates.

…Oh, wow. We were massively overthinking things.

I don’t think I’ll be going to the place, though. Not yet.

Well, that was fun! Enigma 2 now :D

Ooh, cool, Lady Red. I wonder if Enigma is a narrative trawl through certain hidden elements of the game, past and present?

Well, it’s certainly amusingly meta so far.

Yeah no kidding. I got to the point of looking into hermetic mysticism via free association from Borges comments on the aleph being a man pointing to both heaven and earth, to &quotAs above, so below&quot

Look it seemed logical at the time!
But that was not the way to go.[li]
edited by deadcrystal on 1/14/2014

I so overthought it, yet finally here it is…

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Polybius

Thanks for the help from those who messaged me, with the help of the IRC, I found my way there :)

where is mankriks wife[li]

I’m in. I’m in. This time my compatriots failed me, I had to look for help from an Argentinian.

I’d say what this whole escapade has done so far is convince me to find and read the works of a number of authors I had not even heard of before now.

Can anyone PM me with a clue to the very start of the hunt? My computer is being finicky and won’t let me join the IRC channel.

Aww man, I go away for a few hours and something interesting happens. Can someone please PM me a not-too-tricky clue to where I might start looking?

[li]
Same deadcrystal

PMs sent. I’d advise anyone who wants to figure it out themselves to stay away from IRC, at least for the time being. In my opinion, not everyone has been restrained in their hints, and as a result some of those who’ve reached the answer have found little satisfaction in it.

Can I get a clue too?

I too would like a not-too-obvious hint on where I should start looking into this puzzle, if someone could spare me the time to send one.

Thanks.
EDIT:
Got my clue. Many thanks, Anstruther Barron
edited by RandomWalker on 1/4/2014

Hah, coincidentally (and luckily) enough I had a copy of the relevant Calvino and Borges books on my shelf, so I might have had an easier time of things than some, but you by no means need any particularly esoteric literary knowledge to discover Enigma.