A Brief Guide to Courier's Footprint

And I as well! I had to wait for a second mood (so not to burn all of my coffee) but I’ve only just now finished Courier’s Footprint (having switched to Correspondant for the last hurrah, appropriately enough).

My thanks to everyone on this thread!

I’d like to point out that this part isn’t correct. To reach the next level of SotC you need EI and AS equal to the level you’re attempting to clear, and CP equal to your current level times the level you’re attempting to clear. This is because the leveling up for SotC is the same as leveling up other things in Fallen London, i.e., to get from level 4 of something to level 5, you need 5 change points.

Using your example: To go from 18 to 19, you need 19 Screams, 19 Implications, and 342 (18*19) Plaques, because you’re going up to 19, which requires 19 change points. (This doesn’t include rare successes, obviously.)

Sources:
I am a Courier’s Footprint
My math: Imgur: The magic of the Internet
The wiki: http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/The_Last_Alphabet

I’d like to point out that this part isn’t correct. To reach the next level of SotC you need EI and AS equal to the level you’re attempting to clear, and CP equal to your current level times the level you’re attempting to clear. This is because the leveling up for SotC is the same as leveling up other things in Fallen London, i.e., to get from level 4 of something to level 5, you need 5 change points.

Using your example: To go from 18 to 19, you need 19 Screams, 19 Implications, and 342 (18*19) Plaques, because you’re going up to 19, which requires 19 change points. (This doesn’t include rare successes, obviously.)

Sources:
I am a Courier’s Footprint
My math: Imgur: The magic of the Internet
The wiki: http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/The_Last_Alphabet[/quote]

Good catch. I got the CP per level thing wrong. I’m pretty sure this also means that the actions per level part is wrong as well. I’ve updated the original post.

What about gaining Scholar of the Correspondence at low levels? say level 3? do you still have to have Aeolian Screams and stuff? Or is there a cheaper way for lower levels?

There are a handful of ways to raise it as high as 7, and a select few ways to raise it up to 10. The University is the only way to raise it beyond 10. Other options tend to be cheaper, while they last, but not necessarily easier.

The most common ways are
(a) Completing a specific work at the Court, which which can go up to 10 but will be unavailable permanently after you are kicked from court
(b) an Airs-dependent option in the Forgotten Quarter, which goes as high as 7
(c) The Glim-Sculptor, which is an Opportunity Card added to your deck after you complete the follow-up to the University storyline and permanently removed from your deck if you use Fate to purchase Flute Street from said card, and goes as high as 7
(d) A Rare opportunity card that can only be drawn in the Bazaar Side-Streets, which can takes weeks to draw but does go as high as 10
(e) FATE: Opportunity cards from the Fate-locked extension of the Theological Husbandry line in the Labyrinth of Tigers go as high as 10

You will notice that these all require mid-to-late-game content, and most of them at the mercy of the RNG, and also come with Menaces. The Correspondence is not an easy thing to become an expert in, at least from our vantage point on the Great Chain.

Less common ways include occasionally pulling Correspondence Plaques from a Bag of Oddities, and seasonal content.

Edit: Thank you Vexpont for reminding me of an option I had forgotten.
edited by PSGarak on 3/22/2017

To add to PSGarak’s post, the Forgotten Quarter has a Correspondence-raising option in the Seeking Curios… section. It can take you up to SoTC 7 and AFAIK is the most efficient way to get between 3 and 7, even accounting for quite a lot of Nightmare-reducing, shuffling Airs of the Forgotten Quarter to reveal it, and the fact that you’ll want to use Sudden Insights to skirt failures.

And snow during Sackmass which offers the best pail-ToL conversion and can boost SotC up to 15.

Can you achieve SotC 21 without a watchful destiny?
edited by Harlocke on 3/22/2017

[quote=Harlocke]Can you achieve SotC 21 without a watchful destiny?
edited by Harlocke on 3/22/2017[/quote]

Yes. Extraordinary Mind specialization and an Ubergoat can get you there all on their own. If you only have the specialization you can still do it without the Destiny fairly easily (assuming you can get near the max boost). If my math is right you can do it without the Specialization or a Destiny but you have to have an Ubergoat and the best bonuses in basically every other category and you’ll just barely make it.

If I’m reading the wiki right, then yes. You can definitely do it without a destiny if you POSI specialize and boost it above 200 with notability. If you have a destiny but not a POSI specialization and happen to have an Ubergoat, you can do it too. However, I think if you have neither a destiny nor a POSI specialization, you’re a few points short, even with all the best-in-class gear. Edit: An Individual says otherwise and probably knows better than I do. I’m just going off the wiki, and it’s possible that there’s something missing from that.

Poke around this to check for yourself, but I think I read it right.
Edit: Beat by a second.
edited by Pumpkinhead on 3/22/2017
edited by Pumpkinhead on 3/22/2017

By my math you do need either the specialization or a Destiny, otherwise you’ll only make it to 299.

• +30 Mood[/li][li]+10 Smock[/li][li]+8 Insatiable Glove[/li][li]+12 Violant Ink or Notched Bone Harpoon[/li][li]+5 Wax-Hardened Boots[/li][li]+30 Ubergoat[/li][li]+1 Newspaper/Orphanage[/li][li]+2 White Glim Telescope[/li][li]+1 Spouse

[quote=Optimatum]By my math you do need either the specialization or a Destiny, otherwise you’ll only make it to 299.

• +30 Mood[/li][li]+10 Smock[/li][li]+8 Insatiable Glove[/li][li]+12 Violant Ink or Notched Bone Harpoon[/li][li]+5 Wax-Hardened Boots[/li][li]+30 Ubergoat[/li][li]+1 Newspaper/Orphanage[/li][li]+2 White Glim Telescope[/li][li]+1 Spouse

Right. You can’t have both the Violant Ink/Notched Bone Harpoon and a Shrine to Saint Joshua at the same time. That’s what I get for doing my math quickly.

299 is infuriatingly close. I’m PoSI *specialized, so I’m alright, but that’s got to *annoy someone.
Edit: Good god I should not type things out on mobile. The typos…
edited by Pumpkinhead on 3/23/2017
edited by Pumpkinhead on 3/23/2017

Only if Renown can be increased beyond 50 which I’ll guess we’ll see when Constable get converted. I think Hell will be a Persuasive check.

Only if Renown can be increased beyond 50 which I’ll guess we’ll see when Constable get converted. I think Hell will be a Persuasive check.[/quote]
Hell is currently a Watchful faction, based on what stat you can raise from their Faction card. Although, the one profession they are associated with (Trickster) is Shadowy/Persuasive.

Speaking of which, perhaps the Renown conversion from one of the Watchful factions will let us eek out one more point.

We’d have to get Watchful gloves or boots for it to matter. Or an extended inventory item, but that’s substantially less likely.

The watchful boots really annoy me. Our best in class is +5? Really? I don’t think anything else is nearly that low.
Add the fact that they’re a seasonal item, as is the +3 one, and the +2 one is only available if you chose the right benefactor, and you’ve locked a lot of people out of getting any watchful boost from their feet.
…which, now that I type out that last clause, makes me realize that from a story standpoint it makes sense that your shoes don’t really make you more observant. But dangit, if the gloves have eyes, why can’t the boots?

Best dangerous gloves and persuasive shoes are also only +5. And best shadowy clothing is +6, but conflicts with other items. I kinda like how each stat has one bad slot. Makes it feel a bit more like your character is working for it, and less mindlessly level up.
edited by suinicide on 3/23/2017

Because a lot of society ladies wear dresses.

Also, do you really want a toe’s-eye view of every bit of dung on the streets?

[quote=Siankan]
Also, do you really want a toe’s-eye view of every bit of dung on the streets?[/quote]

You think I got to watchful 200 by ignoring all the bits of dung on the street?