A Brief Guide to Courier's Footprint

Seasonal and fate-locked both, if you don’t choose them as your free gift, and that’s assuming the free gift will return in future years. And they require being a Campaigner rather than Fixer or Agitator.

[quote=Pumpkinhead][quote=Siankan]
Also, do you really want a toe’s-eye view of every bit of dung on the streets?[/quote]

You think I got to watchful 200 by ignoring all the bits of dung on the street?[/quote]
Touche. However, I doubt you smeared any of it across your eyes.

Seasonal and fate-locked both, if you don’t choose them as your free gift, and that’s assuming the free gift will return in future years. And they require being a Campaigner rather than Fixer or Agitator.[/quote]
You make me very glad that I got them, then. I stumbled through the election without the slightest idea what was going on, so it’s pretty lucky that I got something useful.

Not my eyes, of course, but I’m not against smearing a bit of poo on someone else’s eyes for my own benefit. In this case the shoes.

Seasonal and fate-locked both, if you don’t choose them as your free gift, and that’s assuming the free gift will return in future years. And they require being a Campaigner rather than Fixer or Agitator.[/quote]
You make me very glad that I got them, then. I stumbled through the election without the slightest idea what was going on, so it’s pretty lucky that I got something useful.[/quote]

To FBG’s credit, essentially all the free items are useful. They all give +1 BDR, and though the boots are the only ones giving under +8 in a stat, they’re still a best-in-slot item.

I was lucky enough to get the boots by accident as well. Next time I’m going to be more careful.

Made it to Courier’s Footprint tonight! Thanks to all in this thread for the excellent advice. I stockpiled a few professional perks to help with managing my wounds - one action to lose half your wounds is not bad if you don’t have any Magnificent Feasts around.

The home comforts have been updated! The Voluminous Library (and other home comforts that used to give +1) now gives +3, the White Glim Telescope now gives +6, and the Shrine to Saint Joshua now gives a whopping +9. With the telescope alone that means you can now break the 300 Watchful mark without a Mood. The Shrine also now becomes the superior profession item for maximizing watchful and should also allow you to break the 300 mark without a Mood (don’t have time to do the math right now but I’m pretty sure that works out).

I’m a bit busy at the moment but I’ve done some basic updating to the original post. I’ll look into further revisions later.

[quote=An Individual]The home comforts have been updated! The Voluminous Library (and other home comforts that used to give +1) now gives +3, the White Glim Telescope now gives +6, and the Shrine to Saint Joshua now gives a whopping +9. With the telescope alone that means you can now break the 300 Watchful mark without a Mood. The Shrine also now becomes the superior profession item for maximizing watchful and should also allow you to break the 300 mark without a Mood (don’t have time to do the math right now but I’m pretty sure that works out).

I’m a bit busy at the moment but I’ve done some basic updating to the original post. I’ll look into further revisions later.[/quote]
Keep in mind that since other items in the same slot have also been boosted, Shrine to St Joshua only gives a marginal benefit of +3 over the second-best item, although +6 compared to non-Fate items. However, as a result of the Hell conversion, the other professions only give a marginal benefit of +2 now, so the Shrine is the best option.

You should update the list of best-in-slot to include the Vinificator. Also if I’m mathing right, it’s now possible to achieve Courier without a POSI specialization or a Destiny.

Since you can do it without a Mood, that means it’s also possible to do with a Mood but no Overgoat, should someone want to.

Still haven’t found time to do a solid update of the first post. However, added The Great Game to the list. Given that you can have both it and a Watchful Profession Weapon it is now the best home comfort for maximizing watchful.

At long last. I have reached the pinnacle of my studies.

20, and pushing for 21 tonight.

Did it. Next up, the hunt for the impossible.
edited by ICountFrom0 on 6/28/2017

Got it at last. Thanks for the wonderful thread, Individual.

So how would one go about this without a mood? What profession etc. do you need exactly?

You need 300 watchful to reach courier’s footprint. With 215 base watchful, the best gear is:

1. Semiotic Monocle/Gloam Foam/Exceptional Hat (+8)
  2. Smock of 4308 pockets (+10)
  3. Insatiable gloves (+8)
  4. Pot of violant ink or notched bone harpoon (+12, correspondent or monster hunter profession)
  5. Wax-hardened boots (+5)
  6. Übergoat (+30)
  7. Destiny: gleam, the memory or the revelation (+5)
  8. An orphanage or a newspaper (+1)
  9. The great game home comfort (+8)
  10. Spouse: another player, or the artist’s model (+1)

So, that would take you over the top, if you can manage it all. The shrine to St Joshua is +9 but costs you the +12 from the harpoon/ink.

[quote=Màiread]You need 300 watchful to reach courier’s footprint. With 215 base watchful, the best gear is:

1. Semiotic Monocle/Gloam Foam/Exceptional Hat (+8)
  2. Smock of 4308 pockets (+10)
  3. Insatiable gloves (+8)
  4. Pot of violant ink or notched bone harpoon (+12, correspondent or monster hunter profession)
  5. Wax-hardened boots (+5)
  6. Übergoat (+30)
  7. Destiny: gleam, the memory or the revelation (+5)
  8. An orphanage or a newspaper (+1)
  9. The great game home comfort (+8)
  10. Spouse: another player, or the artist’s model (+1)

So, that would take you over the top, if you can manage it all. The shrine to St Joshua is +9 but costs you the +12 from the harpoon/ink.[/quote]
Giving a total of 88, which is to say 3 to spare.

This also means that Correspondents and Monster Hunters can get there with a mood and without grinding a goat, if you have a companion that gives you +8 (Midnight Matriarch, Scuttering Squad, or some more unusual options). Actually, it’s doable with a companion as low as +5 if you have everything else.

Oh, so even with my +3 destiny and while remaining celibate it’s possible to reach exactly 300 with no moods. Nice!
edited by Dudebro Pyro on 7/29/2017

For extraordinary implications breeding the hyena in the labyrinth using “Just keep the devils away” seems faster than stealing and converting tales of terror in the Flit, though you miss out on the MW from the conversion (on the plus side, the hyena is good if you’re grinding dangerous). Try to keep your nightmares at 4 and use a sporing bonnet when capturing the hyena to avoid drawing the menace card.

What I’m less sure about is what the best (non-thunder god) way of grinding screams is since the favours-renown conversion… are there any data on the rare success rates of actions granting Aeolian screams (e.g. unfinished business storylets)?

I flip cards a lot, and usually ask the sardonic music hall singer for the invitation to an exclusive soirée, and become the phantom on the Phantom of the Antimacassar card. Both give screams on a rare success, which I find aren’t that rare.

There’s a Google Doc tracking rare successes. For unfinished business it looks like it’s about 10%, and the same for becoming the phantom and the Sardonic Music-Hall Singer.