A Brief Guide to Courier's Footprint

I’ve off and on seen misconceptions as to what is and isn’t required to reach the lofty heights of Scholar of the Correspondence 21, also known as Courier’s Footprint, so I thought I’d write up this short guide.

The Basics

There are various ways to reach Scholar of the Correspondence 10 but once you get there the only way to reach higher is using Correspondence Plaques at the University and that requires a whole lot of Watchful. SotC 11 requires 200 Watchful. SotC 12 requires 210 Watchful. And our ultimate goal of SotC 21 requires a whopping 300 Watchful. Reaching that stat is the hardest part of the process but if you can get there the rest is just items. And you’re blood. A whole lot of your blood.

Getting the Stats

300 Watchful isn’t possible without an Overgoat and you’ll want to have reached the Watchful cap of 200. You’re also going to need the Preternaturally Intent mood which fills your hat slot and only lasts an hour. Mood cards are rare so if you see one make sure you hang onto it because it could be months until you see another one.

For now, let’s not worry about the mood and focus on hatlessly reaching 270 watchful. Your Overgoat, capped stat, and the best non-hat gear you can buy from the Bazaar (Smock of Four Thousand Three Hundred and Eight Pockets, Insatiable Gloves, Ratwork Watch) will get you as high as 246 Watchful. From there you need to get another 24 points. I’ve listed the various places you can get those points from below (for items, the bonus is over the thing they would replace).

[ul][li]+2 Mirror-polished Shoes or +3 Meticulously Altered Stocking or +5 Wax-Hardened Boots or +7 Language of Laces[/li][li]+4 Pot of Violant Ink or Notched Bone Harpoon[/li][li]+10 Ubergoat[/li][li]+3 or +5 Destiny[/li][li]+1 to +15 Extraordinary Mind specialization notability stat boost[/li][li]+1 Newspaper[/li][li]+3 Voluminous Library, +6 White Glim Telescope (fate locked), +8 The Great Game, or +9 Shrine to Saint Joshua[/li][li]+1 Spouse[/li][/ul]Ultimately, you’re going to need either an Ubergoat (very expensive) or to be an Extraordinary Mind (easier but can’t change it later) but outside of that there’s some flexibility.

Preparation

Once you’ve got your hatless 270 watchful you’re going to want to do some preparing. As mentioned, mood cards are rare and only last an hour so you’re going to want to make the most of them. First, get your Scholar of the Correspondence as high as possible without a Mood. At a minimum you should be able to reach 18 but with a Semiotic Monocle and a couple extra bonuses you can also reach 19 and if you’re really stretching your bonuses you can break the 300 mark and skip the mood requirement all together. The higher you can get your SotC in advance the easier the last push will be and the less likely you’ll need to wait for a second mood.

Next, make sure you have enough items. Each level of Scholar of the Correspondence you need to clear requires Extraordinary Implications and Aeolian Screams equal to the level you are trying to reach, and Correspondence Plaques equal to L * (L - 1) where L is the level you are trying to reach. So to go from 18 to 19 you need 19 Screams, 19 Implications, and 18 * 19 = 342 Plaques. Rare successes will cut down on that but I wouldn’t count on them. When you spend that mood make sure you have everything you need to do what you want to do.

Actions are a much trickier resource. A mood only lasts an hour and it takes a number of actions equal to the SotC level you are trying to reach to reach the next one; so going from 19 to 20 takes 20 actions and 20 to 21 takes 21 actions. Make sure you save any Darkdrop Coffee or Magnificent Feasts you’re lucky enough to get your hands on. Other than that if you’re still coming up short on actions your only other option is to make multiple mood runs or spend Fate.

The last thing you’re going to have to worry about is Wounds. Rare successes aside, each action you take is going to hurt (between 1 and 3 CP). Dealing with these wounds compounds the action problem dramatically. Make sure you’re healthy when you start a run. If you have a Magnificent Feast, make sure to time your use of it. Remember that Darkdrop Coffee also gives you a point of wounds. If you see an A Dream of Blood card (fate locked unfortunately) hold onto it in preparation for your run. If it comes down to it, Tinctures of Vigor are better than time in bed and above all else make sure you don’t die because by the time you’re back from the river your mood will be gone.

And that’s basically it. Happy corresponding! Try not to singe your eyebrows too badly.
edited by An Individual on 9/28/2017

A Dream of Blood?

It’s a rare card added to the deck by one of the theological husbandry animals that removes all your wounds.
edited by An Individual on 12/12/2015

Thank you.

I just reached 10 and have been eyeing the hard climb higher with trepidation.

Perhaps a small side hint of the best ways to grind up the implications, screams, and plaques?

I HAVE ALL BUT THE WRETCHED CAPRINE BEAST

For all three items, I recommend thefts of particular character. Convert tales of terror into implications, and journals of infamy into plaques and screams. It’s consistent and reasonably quick, especially with a gang of hoodlums. You can also pick up implications in the Nadir with a bit of luck, but obviously that’s unreliable.

I forget, other than bragging rights, what does SotC>10 buy you? It will be some considerable time before I embark on that quest, but one does want to plan ahead.

– Mal

Having it higher than 10 can make a Making Waves generating check straightforward, but mostly it’s just for bragging rights. Perhaps later it’ll have more use.

edited by Sara Hysaro on 12/12/2015

Paying Fate at Neathmas or at the entrance to the Cave of the Nadir grants an Incarnadine Fur Robe, allowing one to choose between several different fate-locked extended inventory items. The White Glim Telescope is Watchful +2. Also at Neathmas, successfully examining a pail of lacre under a monocle gives 1 CP SotC up to 15. Correspondents can also attempt a very difficult SotC check which on success grants some MW, about an entire level of watchful, and 2-11 CP or more for SotC up to 15. To compare, the SotC check for this option has a 60% at level 15 as opposed to the monocle option being 60% at SotC 6.

I don’t know of any functional reason to get SotC as high as 21, but there is some evidence that eventual future content is planned to raise it even higher.
edited by Optimatum on 12/13/2015

[quote=Sara Hysaro]Having it higher than 10 can make a Making Waves generating check straightforward, but mostly it’s just for bragging rights. Perhaps later it’ll have more use.

edited by Sara Hysaro on 12/12/2015[/quote]

Are you taking about the one which costs a Searing Enigma? Or another check?

Mostly the one the that costs a Searing Enigma, though there is also this.

Well done, An Individual! Though A Pot of Violant Ink gives +12 Watchful; I assume that the figure you give was a typographical error.

The +4 is how much more Watchful it has over the Ratwork Watch.

Sorry for the thread necro (someone let me know if that’s frowned upon in this forum), but I just hit 21 SotC thanks primarily to this guide and wanted to give you a bump and a thank-you. Super useful stuff.

Congratulations! I don’t think it’s frowned upon at all. Might be nifty to even have a list of all Courier’s Footprints out there besides (unless there already is one, in which case that’s nifty).

It’s worth mentioning that as of April 18th mood cards are on hiatus as per this post: community.failbettergames.com/topic22063-announcement-player-marriage-and-moods.aspx

Current mood cards can remain in hand but cannot be used.

That’s a good point. That makes this impossible without overcapping, and extremely difficult even then.

It might not even be possible without a mood. My math indicates the highest you can get without a mood is 294 (maybe 295 with a White Glim Telescope) and that’s with maximum overcapping, an ubergoat, a +5 destiny, and all the best watchful gear you can find. I’m pretty sure that’s how it works out. It’s been a while since I ran the numbers on this.
edited by An Individual on 4/19/2016

It might not even be possible without a mood. My math indicates the highest you can get without a mood is 294 (maybe 295 with a White Glim Telescope) and that’s with maximum overcapping, an ubergoat, a +5 destiny, and all the best watchful gear you can find. I’m pretty sure that’s how it works out. It’s been a while since I ran the numbers on this.
edited by An Individual on 4/19/2016[/quote]

Does the Heptagoat give additional 10 points? If so, we have a new goal :p
edited by Gonen on 4/19/2016

The Heptagoat gives no Watchful at all.