Your Election Winner for 1897!

[color=#0066ff]All the votes have been tallied. London has decided: Virginia, the devil-adventurer, will be London’s new Mayor![/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color][color=#0066ff]A chorus of gasps, cries and ragged cheers go up as Virginia steps forward to greet her new constituents. Her eyes are alight and her smile is bright as a red dawn as she basks in her triumph.[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color][color=#0066ff]Now that 1897’s mayoral Election has come to a close, there’ll be a brief transitional period while Virginia takes up her office.[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color][color=#0066ff]Once fully situated, a new mayoral card will become available in your Opportunity Deck. News of her work will crop up from time to time during her year in power.[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color][color=#0066ff]Look for 1897: The Victor is Announced throughout London and speak to your candidate to wrap up any loose ends. You will have till the 5th of August to use up any leftover Reputation.[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color][color=#0066ff]It’s never too early to speculate on who you think should run for Mayor of Fallen London next year – join the forum thread to make your thoughts known. Statistics on the Election will be released within the next few weeks to show you how the votes and Careers played out![/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color][color=#0066ff]Thank you for your political tenacity, delicious friends![/color]

Scientia omnia vincit! Ave, praetor Victoria, Londini Salutat vos!

The concessions make me feel bad for supporting Virginia. Not enough to make me regret it, mind you, but enough to make me feel like my character contributed to making two people (and quite a few supporters) rather sad - and that’s what I call good writing.

O London, what have you done?[li]
Also, I’m curious to know what the actual consequences of the outgoing mayor’s announcement will be, if any. Will this still be an elected office?

I REGRET NOTHING!

The Lord Mayor of London always has been an elected office.

In 2019 London, there is a distinction between the Lord Mayor (whose authority covers only the City) and the Mayor (whose authority covers all of Greater London). This is a very modern thing, however, and not relevant to Fallen London except as a possible influence on the writers. In 1895, you would simply have the Lord Mayor and that’s the end of it.

We assume that the Lord Mayor (and perhaps the entire Corporation) was abolished when London Fell, and that when the office was reestablished someone (the Queen? the Masters?) decided to drop &quotLord&quot from the style. The Contrarian’s machinations–if that’s what really happened–merely have returned the Lord Mayor to the office’s traditional dignity.

Howevermuch dignity Sinning Jenny, Feducci, the Contrarian, and Virginia can muster, anyway.

Edit: It is worth noting that the modern Mayor of London, unlike the Lord Mayor of London, comes to power through direct popular election. It’s possible that Failbetter chose the former originally in order to underscore that Fallen London’s mayor would be elected in a similar fashion. Now that that’s established, perhaps they wish to move back to the original precedent.
edited by Siankan on 7/29/2019

I wonder, how close was the race? Did she win in a landslide? Was it down to the wire? Though I must admit, mostly I’m just wondering “how much of a difference did I make?”

Well, I suppose this outcome was a foregone conclusion from the start. As the staunchest supporter of Southwark, I find the wisdom of our electorate somewhat lacking, but it shall certainly be an interesting year. Although, considering how little was Feducci able to achieve during his term, we probably needn’t get too worried.

On a related note, I love how our dear Contrarian managed to one-up Feducci’s Blythenhale stunt. I imagine he just went: so, my predecessor blew up the town hall. What’s left for me to dismantle? Oh, that’s right. There’s still the position ;)

And in a truly Contrarianesque way, he immediately has it re-established as a Lord Mayor… in the year when all three candidates were clearly Ladies. You can almost hear the man’s chuckling!

[quote=Q. Pheevr]O London, what have you done?[li]
Also, I’m curious to know what the actual consequences of the outgoing mayor’s announcement will be, if any. Will this still be an elected office?[/quote]
Why, we have improved the quality of our souls, of course![/li]

And I believe the actual consequence is merely that Virginia must be chagrined at carrying an aristocratic-sounding title.

Your writing certainly made me think about what information was put out there, and what its implications are, even though it did not change my vote.

If FBG follows its pattern of previous years, they will publish the statistics from the election at a later date, probably in a few weeks.

I’m really going to miss him.
Too bad FB didn’t have the time to give him a special story. I mean, we never found out what he was doing on his weekends. Oh well.
edited by Anne Auclair on 7/29/2019

God help us all.

At least it’s not our Aunt, so it’s not that bad…

Too bad FB didn’t have the time to give him a special story. I mean, we never found out what he was doing on his weekends. Oh well.
edited by Anne Auclair on 7/29/2019[/quote]

…sigh. Concurrence on all of the above.

[/quote]
There’s rather a lot about his term as Mayor that seems to remain in the dark. Didn’t he want to completely restructure the Constabulary? Wasn’t that his main campaign promise? We never heard about that again, did we?

And yes, I’d like to know about his weekends, too. :)

I feel like the Hallowmass Rosers event is getting a lot of mentions in and straight up integration into the main game, and he had a pretty big part in that, so maybe that’s supposed to be his legacy?

Dang. We got ourselves a second Feducci, in terms of how badly this is going to end.

…Did I miss something? because Feducci didn’t do anything but burn down a building that he was living in at the time.

He’ll probably be the default ambassador for everyone who comes into the game afterwards. I can’t imagine any of the other contenders would be integrated into the main game as the ambassador.
edited by Winthropx on 7/29/2019