Your character as an NPC

I wonder, and think this thread fits the best, what would you character be in the sequel to FL, (hopefully Fallen Manhattan! Or Paris Tombée!). I mean something like the cheery man, a mayor crime boss, a simple writer or a detective on your trial for a few centuries? What would their name be?

Elias/Anton would probably end up falling in with the Mafia if it were based in Manhattan. That would be a very interesting turn of events actually! I imagine he’d be The Absent Consigliere in that case!

As for Ezekiel, they would probably end up being a vagrant or a construction worker. Something low-key and conformist while they pursue whoever they’re after in this time period. They might be something like The Consumed Man-Hunter or some such.

[quote=The Absurd Rogue]Elias/Anton would probably end up falling in with the Mafia if it were based in Manhattan. That would be a very interesting turn of events actually! I imagine he’d be The Absent Consigliere in that case!

As for Ezekiel, they would probably end up being a vagrant or a construction worker. Something low-key and conformist while they pursue whoever they’re after in this time period. They might be something like The Consumed Man-Hunter or some such.[/quote]

Would Elias Lowe/Anton Petrow take a optimistic caporegime then? Even if Maria is more likely to create a branch of the Vory v Zakone and become the optimistic legitimate thief… wait only optimistic thief. Or she would finally become a physicist. The suspicious Professor?

Rysiek, he would be the determined seargeant, joining the Homicide squad

Agata is as always just a writer, the writing widow. She will never be over the murder of her lover probably.

Frank, he is the uptight brit. As always, just a stereotypical englishman.

I would probably be like the Yesterday’s King, some crazy old person who used to be semi-important, but am now just a deranged hobo living in the Forgotten Quarter.

I really like the idea of our characters still being around, except we’re now all deranged tomb-colonist vagrants. Eli definitely got there early.
Also, Fallen Manhattan would be the, best, thing. I’ll say it once, I’ll say it a thousand times.

Someone along the lines of His Amused Lordship. Falsely easy going. Secretive. Knows a lot (too much) of things, and probably has his own agenda.

Edit : also, I’d like it to be Paris. That would be a nice change of atmosphere.
edited by Emain Ablach on 5/7/2016

If the next city takes as much time as London took to fall after the Fourth City, we still don’t know which country will be powerful enough to host the Sixth City. Personally, I doubt it will be Paris, and I have my reservations on Manhattan.

But well. I’m reasonable certain that Prof. Strix will still be around when the Sixth City comes. Not that she would want to, mind you, I just don’t think that a few lifetimes are enough for her to lift her curse and convince that darned boatman to stop holding a grudge and let her pass already.

She would keep her name, but to go with the naming theme of NPCs, she would either still use “the Inescapable Professor” (no reason to chage it), or, to be funnier, “the Suspiciously Blood-Stained Detective”.

M. is too elegiac to particularly stick out. They would run a store in the Bazaar, perhaps, selling zee-ztories, visions of the surface, and other such ideas for stories. For Zailors, they buy their Extraordinary Inplications and other such things and sell mysteries at incredibly marked up prices.
edited by M. Cinder on 5/8/2016

Call probably would be one of the unnamed Jacks you shoot in the face while patrolling the watchmaker’s hill :|

I imagine Hark and Heb would end up much like most of the other City survivors, dangerous and bitter.
I doubt Hark would ever give up on London and their dreams of the sun. As an NPC the Radiant Ailurophile would likely lair close to the zee, using cats to deliver and intercept messages and find new and promising allies. They would act as a patron to more Fifth City minded residents, offering rewards for relics of London and works of art they feel ‘in the spirit of London’. In reality a darker secret would hide behind their eccentricity and nostalgic inclinations, as they would attempt to convince players of the glories of the Fifth City and the power the Sixth could have if they would only help them bring about the Dawn.
Hebediah and his daughter meanwhile would go to Parabola and emerge on occassion to rob people or deliver sternly worded sermons to some surprised sinner. That or they’d end up in the tomb-colonies with the rest of London.

Yes, but what were you before that?

I am probably some newcomer who the player can scare away back to surface with a con for fun and profit :)
edited by Zoe DeGeest on 5/8/2016

Mathieu already has a title as “The Bard of Lost Children”; I imagine in Fallen Manehattan he would be a character like the Topsy King, hanging out with the young street gangs as an honorary grandparent, helping the few who can escape via their musical careers. In a less horrifying way than the Foreign Office, of course.

The challenge in converting a PC into an NPC is trimming off their extraneous protagonist-y traits so that they can fit into a useful niche. Sir Fred already works reasonably well as the Esotericist - a rather eccentric on-again off-again academic with an interest in the Fallen Cities. Hubris’ role as a noble with underworld ties is already taken by The Baronet of the early game - two of them would be an extravagance.

Juniper is protagonist through and through, and a peculiarly gothic protagonist at that - lost family, tragic upbringing, dark and unsettling destiny - so I don’t think she’d work at all. Esther’s role as a go-between for hardened revolutionaries and high-society sympathisers is butting up against the likes of the Affluent Photographer, but overall I think she’d work well as an NPC - a devoted party secretary with pistol up her sleeve, perfectly placed to serve as an unexpected ally or enemy.
edited by Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook on 5/9/2016

I think, based on how I’ve played Amyntas here, he’d end up being a little like the Honey-Addled Detective; relatively useless on his own because he’s a bit of a hot mess, but a fine connection for intrigue and mystery.

With this sort of thing, you really have to zoom out and view your character from the lens of another. Encapsulating everything about that character at once is going to lead to them dominating the story in a way nobody’s going to want. Sir Fred up above me explained that pretty neatly.

I think it’s fun to do, really, looking at them from the perspective of an acquaintance or passer-by. You can drop fun hints about their deeper character and, if it’s done right, lead people to go “hmmm” and try to suss things out themselves. It’s a good feeling.

• [REMOVED BY MINISTRY OF PUBLIC DECENCY]

edited by Passionario on 6/10/2016

The [exiled archeologist] will babble on and on about bazaar’s sorrow and the correspondence if you let him. Half of it is verifiably false, and another quarter is common knowledge, though. You can encounter him both in new newgate and the forgotten quarter, though nowhere else. He claims to be fabulously wealthy, though given how vile his wine is, you doubt that. More likely reminiscing for days long past, and money spent years ago.

Don’t drink his wine. Let me repeat this- do not drink his wine. Why not?

a good question, but not a wise one.

I think my character would be the Governess of Port Carnelian, shepherdess of the remaining Londoners in the Neath and partner with the Widow.

The Chatty Hooded Figure - or would that be too close to a certain Master?
Alternatively we could have the Overly Friendly Reanimated Corpse.

Morkan’s probably some zee-captain braggart that you fleece or trash verbally. The Boastful Captain?

The Mourning Manager, the proprietor of the Starveling Cafe. I have a few other titles I’ve accrued here and there, but that’s the main one.

I even changed my SN name to reflect, so now accepted social actions read “The Mourning Manager has accepted your invitation to chess” and so on.