Winterstrike: "Cold guns. Starship carcasses..."

[color=#009900]This is a partner project rather than an in-house Failbetter project - we asked Yoon to write it. But we thoroughly recommend it. Enjoy![/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
http://winterstrike.storynexus.com

This is a truly amazing world and I haven’t even scratched the surface. I do hope the author will find their way here soon…

Agree w/ the above, Winterstrike is a great game :D If nothing else (but really, much more than), got me into checking the authors book list (and wanting an Ironbird in Fallen London :3).

This is ridiculously excellent and utterly utter.

I was a little skeptical when I started, but now that I’ve gotten a bit further I’ve fallen in love with this icy, mysterious world and long to know more.

I did run into a tiny problem: when I try to play the “A Duelist All in Gray” card (I’ve reached level 2 of my connection with her), choosing the option doesn’t do anything except give me a blank screen.

[quote=CharlottePike]I was a little skeptical when I started, but now that I’ve gotten a bit further I’ve fallen in love with this icy, mysterious world and long to know more.

I did run into a tiny problem: when I try to play the “A Duelist All in Gray” card (I’ve reached level 2 of my connection with her), choosing the option doesn’t do anything except give me a blank screen.[/quote]
Hello–thanks for the note. I had a look at the back end for that card, no luck so far, but I’m attempting to duplicate the bug. I’m very sorry about this.–Yoon Ha Lee

Edit: If you could email me the list of qualities you had when playing that card (or your best guess), I’d appreciate it; might help me track it down faster. yoon at yoonhalee dot com. Thank you!
edited by yhlee on 11/1/2012
edited by yhlee on 11/1/2012

[color=#009900]This may be the issue that turned up all over StoryNexus overnight - in which case, it’s now fixed. Sorry, Yoon and Charlotte![/color]

Ah there they are! Haha Anyways, I really enjoy your world so far and I applaud your writing. I will definitely also be looking into your other works at some point in time… My mistake, you were here already, I just didn’t know it. :)
edited by Kitsune on 11/1/2012

Is there a way to progress to the end game without disposing of the Ironbird?

Yes, there are a couple ways, although they depend on you making certain choices toward the endgame.

Excellent. I don’t see a path out yet that lets me keep it, but I’ve grown fond of the little thing

I’ve finished Winterstrike. I’m more than a little sad. I never found a path out that let me keep the little guy, and finally I soldiered on heartbroken.

I love the prose, I love the structure, I love the world. However, I will say that there appears to not be enough later-game content (Winterlocked 2 or 3), or perhaps too much early game content (Winterlocked 1) because once I moved to mid and end game, I very rarely saw anything new out of the opportunity deck. I suspect I missed a lot, but I’d go half a dozen draws of the deck without getting anything fresh.

Also, the map and the mirror only ever seemed useful on one card. Perhaps they are, but I was very excited about the possibility of them when I acquired them, and was a little disappointed that was all they seemed to offer.

This criticism all seems silly. I loved it, and I will probably play it again, once I get over my heavy heart.

[quote=Erik Harrison]I’ve finished Winterstrike. I’m more than a little sad. I never found a path out that let me keep the little guy, and finally I soldiered on heartbroken.

I love the prose, I love the structure, I love the world. However, I will say that there appears to not be enough later-game content (Winterlocked 2 or 3), or perhaps too much early game content (Winterlocked 1) because once I moved to mid and end game, I very rarely saw anything new out of the opportunity deck. I suspect I missed a lot, but I’d go half a dozen draws of the deck without getting anything fresh.

Also, the map and the mirror only ever seemed useful on one card. Perhaps they are, but I was very excited about the possibility of them when I acquired them, and was a little disappointed that was all they seemed to offer.

This criticism all seems silly. I loved it, and I will probably play it again, once I get over my heavy heart.[/quote]

Not silly at all. Thank you so much for your thoughtful critique.

In case it’s helpful, I think the ironbird ending you would find most satisfactory requires that you become a member of the Scarf and Feather Society, and initially commit to destroying the ironbird.

Best,
YHL

[quote=Alexis Kennedy][color=#009900]This is a partner project rather than an in-house Failbetter project - we asked Yoon to write it. But we thoroughly recommend it. Enjoy![/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
http://winterstrike.storynexus.com[/quote]

I think the setting is marvelously executed, but I feel as though I’ve been grinding for a long time and all I’ve done is improve my stats (Force 12, Resolve and Finesse 14 each). When do things start happening?

[quote=Catherine Raymond][quote=Alexis Kennedy][color=#009900]This is a partner project rather than an in-house Failbetter project - we asked Yoon to write it. But we thoroughly recommend it. Enjoy![/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
http://winterstrike.storynexus.com[/quote]

I think the setting is marvelously executed, but I feel as though I’ve been grinding for a long time and all I’ve done is improve my stats (Force 12, Resolve and Finesse 14 each). When do things start happening?[/quote]
It’s hard to say without knowing what your qualities are, but the plot progresses through a combination of (a) pursuing a specific faction allegiance and (b) pinned storylets. If you let me know what qualities and pinned storylets you have up, I can perhaps give you more specific advice. Sorry about the trouble.

[quote=yhlee][quote=Catherine Raymond]
I think the setting is marvelously executed, but I feel as though I’ve been grinding for a long time and all I’ve done is improve my stats (Force 12, Resolve and Finesse 14 each). When do things start happening?[/quote]
It’s hard to say without knowing what your qualities are, but the plot progresses through a combination of (a) pursuing a specific faction allegiance and (b) pinned storylets. If you let me know what qualities and pinned storylets you have up, I can perhaps give you more specific advice. Sorry about the trouble.[/quote]

No problem. I had not yet figured out how to declare a faction allegiance when I wrote that. I have now done so, and things are progressing. Thank you.

ETA: never mind, I found it! (It’s inevitable after asking such a question, I suppose.)

I’m on my second time through the game (because I enjoyed it so much the first time) and have run into a problem. This time I have become affiliated with the Ocular Guard. I have only one pinned card at the moment, which requires me to have 5 Penetrating Discipline before I can go on. I only have 4. Will there be an opportunity card that gains me just be more Penetrating Discipline? It feels like I’ve been grinding for a long time looking for one.

Thanks for such a haunting game! I’d love to read a novel based on this world. I’m also planning on looking for your other stories.
edited by gannet on 11/4/2012

I’ve got a question.

I’ve brought my stats here up to 18-20 and I’ve associated with the Ocular Guards, but I don’t have any more pinned cards and can’t seem to make anything else unlock. All I can do is just grind for qualities. What am I doing wrong? How do I advance the story?

[quote=axiraphail]
I’ve brought my stats here up to 18-20 and I’ve associated with the Ocular Guards, but I don’t have any more pinned cards and can’t seem to make anything else unlock. All I can do is just grind for qualities. What am I doing wrong? How do I advance the story?[/quote]
Could you let me know what qualities you have (or email the list to me at yoon at yoonhalee dot com) and I’ll take a look? I’m very sorry.

On my first attempt, I ended up with the Prophet ending.
I prefer to think that Fallen London was our next destination.