Winterstrike: "Cold guns. Starship carcasses..."

On the off chance it’s of interest to people passing by, things I learned making Winterstrike.

I really liked this, and recognised some of the pitfalls (too many factions) in my own early designs.

Do you think you’ll write another StoryNexus world?

This is a really great game (the meticulous ocicat is my favourite character so far)! I’m currently trying to see all the endings- but I can’t find out how to get Gunslinger to progress in the story? I’m currently joined up with the Ocular Guard and trying to destroy the Ironbird…

Hello! Gunslinger actually is a glorified way of tracking whether you have any guns; its value is equal to the number of gun items you have. You only ever need one, if you want to have the quality. (I could not figure out a way to do this gracefully as a boolean, mea culpa!) One of the market cards has a way for you to get an Ill-Tempered Blaster, and there’s a way to get a Roseate Pistol in one of the Circle of Bullets duel cards with the wounded duelist. I think that’s mostly it–hope this helps!

[quote=Lily Fox]I really liked this, and recognised some of the pitfalls (too many factions) in my own early designs.

Do you think you’ll write another StoryNexus world?[/quote]
I get cold sweats thinking of how I almost went in trying to code eight factions. My sister is a genius.

Another world is definitely possible, but right now I am tied up with a commitment, so.

Hello! Gunslinger actually is a glorified way of tracking whether you have any guns; its value is equal to the number of gun items you have. You only ever need one, if you want to have the quality. (I could not figure out a way to do this gracefully as a boolean, mea culpa!) One of the market cards has a way for you to get an Ill-Tempered Blaster, and there’s a way to get a Roseate Pistol in one of the Circle of Bullets duel cards with the wounded duelist. I think that’s mostly it–hope this helps![/quote]
Thanks! I thought it would be something like that- the Ill-Tempered Blaster market card didn’t show up for a while, which was why I was wondering.
And I have one more question- can you get the Prophet ending when you join any faction, or do you have to be aligned with a specific faction to get it?

Hello! Gunslinger actually is a glorified way of tracking whether you have any guns; its value is equal to the number of gun items you have. You only ever need one, if you want to have the quality. (I could not figure out a way to do this gracefully as a boolean, mea culpa!) One of the market cards has a way for you to get an Ill-Tempered Blaster, and there’s a way to get a Roseate Pistol in one of the Circle of Bullets duel cards with the wounded duelist. I think that’s mostly it–hope this helps![/quote]
Thanks! I thought it would be something like that- the Ill-Tempered Blaster market card didn’t show up for a while, which was why I was wondering.
And I have one more question- can you get the Prophet ending when you join any faction, or do you have to be aligned with a specific faction to get it?[/quote]

The Prophet ending is available from any faction. Mostly it involves being cold-blooded and loyal to the ironbird when Wintry Suspicions comes up–hope that helps.

I was just wondering if anyone could help me. I can’t seem to get the one last Subtle Joy I need to advance my Swan Thief branch. Any ideas which cards get me that?

Subtle Delights available at:

• Music in an old concert hall (you will need to spend 5x Spark of Camaraderie)
  • An Unsmiling Thief, third branch (but I suspect you have done this already, and it’s one time only; requires spending 10x Fleeting Merriment)
  • An insufficient cipher (requires Connection: A Swan Thief 2, Flirtation with the Scarf and Feather Society 15)

I hope this helps!

Also possibly of interest: http://yhlee.dreamwidth.org/1471026.html (Winterstrike Post Mortem)

I liked WinterStrike and here are my critiques.

It seemed like Ice was hard to gain and easy to lose. Might help to state that or at least use the same icon for each. (The cracking ice comes to mind). 5 Ice was the standard for the cards effects but the endings for ice were at 15 plus.

The connections just kinda died once you got to four. Didn’t see that there was much closure to them.

I think this is a thing that FBG would have to do. It would be nice to see the outcomes on the card itself after you have seen the card. Would make the whole grinding thing better.

I didn’t get that the Ironbird was evil/responsible for the whole thing until the Gageteer told me.

Overall I enjoyed it and will play again

[quote=David Wilson]I liked WinterStrike and here are my critiques.

It seemed like Ice was hard to gain and easy to lose. Might help to state that or at least use the same icon for each. (The cracking ice comes to mind). 5 Ice was the standard for the cards effects but the endings for ice were at 15 plus.

The connections just kinda died once you got to four. Didn’t see that there was much closure to them.

I think this is a thing that FBG would have to do. It would be nice to see the outcomes on the card itself after you have seen the card. Would make the whole grinding thing better.

I didn’t get that the Ironbird was evil/responsible for the whole thing until the Gageteer told me.

Overall I enjoyed it and will play again[/quote]

Hello! Thank you for the critique, and I apologize for the extreme tardiness of this response. I appreciate the time you took to leave the comments, even if I am super-disorganized.