Whitsun 2022 is here!

[quote=PSGarak][quote=theonie]What are we saving the pennies for though?[/quote]The Device.

Players who don’t spend Fate can get the Device if they save ha’pennies over two years. How many players are actually willing to do that depends on how awesome the other ha’penny options are. Personally I didn’t find last year’s gear so compelling, but I have peculiar tastes.[/quote]Ohh right, of course. It does make sense to get it as soon as possible to be able to hatch the max number of eggs, whether that is one’s first Whitsun by paying for the extra pennies, or one’s second Whitsun by saving them. It’s true that some of the sartorial options are very appealing though!

I was brand new last Whitsun and over-excited. I now want some low end critters - like a Young Terror Bird for the wings. I am currently hatching a thrice augmented pelagic egg, though. All the squiddy things.

So, our critters include a minotaur, a phoenix, a dragon, a hydra, a kraken… are there any mythological examples of spiderwolves, squorpions or two- headed birds?

I thought that two-headed birds would be easy to find, but it seems mythology is more prone to beats with nine heads than two. The two-headed eagle has been a symbol in heraldry for a while. Still, I feel like such examples tend to be the majestic birds, while the terror-bird distinctly looks like an underfed chicken.

I think FBG used the real Terror Birds as their inspiration. Phorusrhacidae - Wikipedia Flightless three meter tall apex predator birds from South America. Perfect fit for the game :)

So you’re telling me a horse-sized duck is a real thing that exists. I’ll take my chances with the 100 duck-sized horses.

Aw yeah…time to dust off that crazy thrice augmentation machine to forge some weird animals

To the veterans of Fallen London, which two eggs do you think will be free (no ha’pennies required) next year? Aged and Percipient? Or the newly launched Pelagic and one of Aged or Percipient? What’s the past trend like?

Here’s my suggestion to speed up hatching: for every successful hatching, the time required for the next hatching gets reduced by 1 hour. Or make it dependent on the number of eggs you have cracked opened.

Would anyone like to trade eggs with me? I’m hoping to get both the pelagic egg player-sent companions.

You were here last year, and you’re aware that the year before that Scarlet and Aged were both free and the only two types that existed. So you have as much information about past trends as anyone.

I will make the guess, based on augment locations, that we won’t ever see the combo of Aged & Pelagic, or Scarlet & Percipient. Because if we did then half of the augments would be unused by the free eggs.

Has anyone else had a problem with augmenting eggs? I’ve twice now ended up with a Unerring Elver, which I didn’t want, in place of an Abyssal Sawtooth. The first time, I thought I might have done something in the wrong order, so I was very careful the second time. 3 x invigorate, plus 1 Augment in the Labyrinth. Result: another Elver.
Any idea what I may be doing wrong?

Unerring Elver and Abyssal Sawtooth are both Pelagic/Invigorated. This means that augmentation should work in the Labyrinth of Tigers or the Dept. of Menace Eradication.

Are you sure you really went to the Labyrinth, and got something like &quotYou now have 1 x Theological Augmentation&quot?

Yes, it was the Theological one. I’ve tried a third time, and if it still goes pear-shaped, I’ll write to support and see if they can reconstruct where I went wrong.

Maybe try 3 Enlightening instead of Invigorating?

According to the checklist, that would produce a kraken or a cuttlefish – I was interested in the Magistracy dive option.

Look under the Whitsun section of your inventory and you should see 1 Augmentation upon an egg, and a theological Augmentation. If you don’t see those, then you’ve already gone wrong somehow

Got all my little eggy friends and now I’m just smashing eggs for those Obsidian Chitin-Tails

Lucky you. I doubt I can 'catch ‘em all’ before the end of this year’s Whitsun.

I got the Illegal Device and hatched two 3x augmented creatures already.

Not sure what I can do with my remaining one ha’penny… rubbery maid to instant hatch? Exchange eggs?

Next year I will have 4 ha’pennies.

Simple hatching guide for the newbies:

[Egg Type] + [Fully Enlightened or Invigorated] + [Augmentation] = Hatching an egg

Egg Type = Aged, Percipient, Scarlet, Pelagic

Fully Enlightened or Invigorated = Enlightening or Invigorating an egg 3 times. Otherwise it’s only partially enlightened or invigorated, and cannot be hatched. But you can crack them open or use them for other stuff.

Augmentation: Zero times (un-augmented), once, twice or three times. The third augmentation requires the Illegal Device which costs 5 ha’pennies, and newbies can’t afford it until their second year’s Whitsun event. The first two augmentations can be found in various locations, see the link at the top. Speak to the correct NPC at the correct location to augment your egg, otherwise you waste one action.

The order of augmentation doesn’t matter. For example, you can use the Illegal Device to do the first augmentation, then speak to the other two NPCs to do the second and third augmentation. Or talk to one NPC, then use Illegal Device, then talk to the other NPC.

Happy hatching.

Which of the Sartorial Augmentation items available from Scarlet and Pelagic eggs do you reckon is the most useful mechanics-wise to someone who’s been around long enough to finish Ambition Nemesis and already has the Illegal Augmentation Device?
edited by Anthony on 5/14/2022