what do you expect mr eaten's name to be?

Samara

Mrs. Plenty?

edited by Pyrodinium on 2/3/2016

We know these things for facts:
It’s in the Correspondence
The Lorn Flukes recognise it

The Lorn Flukes are from before the Second City

Which tells us that the Name that is saught is pre-eatening
Since this is Fallen London and this is the correspondence we’re talking about, the sigil will likely mean something complex and simple at the same time

Now, we don’t know the conventions in which naming takes place in space bat society, because this is what Mr Candles’ name will follow, possible naming times might be:
Creation
Development
Achievement

Considering that Creation would give Mr Candles a random name (unless timey-wimey), and that would make Seeking anticlimatic, that’s unlikely.

Which narrows down Mr Candles’ sigil to:
a concept that conveys who they are as a space bat

So the best serious bet for finding out their name would be to analyze pre-eatening Candles personality/acts.

Which makes something like
&quotthe generosity of a lover&quot or &quotforgiveness for those who don’t deserve it&quot possibilities.
edited by Cecil on 2/3/2016

[quote=Cecil ]We know these things for facts:
It’s in the Correspondence
The Lorn Flukes recognise it

The Lorn Flukes are from before the Second City

Which tells us that the Name that is saught is pre-eatening
Since this is Fallen London and this is the correspondence we’re talking about, the sigil will likely mean something complex and simple at the same time

Now, we don’t know the conventions in which naming takes place in space bat society, because this is what Mr Candles’ name will follow, possible naming times might be:
Creation
Development
Achievement

Considering that Creation would give Mr Candles a random name (unless timey-wimey), and that would make Seeking anticlimatic, that’s unlikely.

Which narrows down Mr Candles’ sigil to:
a concept that conveys who they are as a space bat

So the best serious bet for finding out their name would be to analyze pre-eatening Candles personality/acts.

Which makes something like
&quotthe generosity of a lover&quot or &quotforgiveness for those who don’t deserve it&quot possibilities.
edited by Cecil on 2/3/2016[/quote]

Actually it’s a correspondence for &quota bat whose name is Jeff&quot

[quote=Pyrodinium]…

Mrs. Plenty?

edited by Pyrodinium on 2/3/2016[/quote]

let me guess, she ate mister eaten?

I figured his name was Akhenaten, which is an anagram for &quotEaten Ankh&quot or &quoteaten soul&quot

[quote=&quotMany&quot Chin][quote=Pyrodinium]…

Mrs. Plenty?

edited by Pyrodinium on 2/3/2016[/quote]

let me guess, she ate mister eaten?[/quote]

Batty rubbery lumps YUM!

[quote=Cecil ]We know these things for facts:
[/quote]

A quote from SK

While the common tongue contained many fascinating terms and phrases, the spiked letters of High Speech carried the heart of Roland’s culture. With the exception of the word char (which always means “death”), each word in the Tongue had multiple meanings. These meanings were so complex and nuanced that they were (and are) difficult to define precisely.

This is how I always think of the corespondance. Complex. Words with many meanings.

Only, I picture eaten’s name, if not a run that was removed from existance, reality warped to remove it from ever being comprehended again…

… I picture it to be the one SIMPLE word in the entire language.
… I picture it to be horrible.

The name is in Correspondence, it’s revealed at the very start of the Seeking, if I remember correctly. (Writing it in coffee).

His name is Melvin.

Even though it’s in correspondence, there’s still the outlying possibility of your character suffering his way through seeking to finally reach the name and… it’s just a name, a completely mundane name without anything special to it.

Of course, this doesn’t have to be an anticlimax. Maybe the revelation that what your character sought doesn’t exist, or only exists in a form this unsatisfying, will break your character, seeing has he’s suffered through the entirety of seeking just to learn that the name was something not particularly interesting.

It’d be an interesting take on the entire thing, anyways.
edited by Infinity Simulacrum on 7/12/2016

Why would you want to know his name? It’s not worth it. Turn back now…

obviously yelling his name is the only way to wake him up
and then we can burn some handkerchiefs
edited by Dom Scorp on 7/12/2016

obviously yelling his name is the only way to wake him up
and then we can burn some handkerchiefs
edited by Dom Scorp on 7/12/2016[/quote]
I think more than just handkerchiefs would burn.

How do you know that it’s not worth it? The information could sell well…

How do you know that it’s not worth it? The information could sell well…[/quote]

It could, correct… But rest assured, any attempts to learn it will not end well.

I suspect the Name isn’t capable of being comprehended by the human mind, lowly as we are. That is possibly why finishing the quest is a game over; you’ve destroyed yourself learning the unlearnable. It’s almost definitely written in Correspondence sigils. If your hair catches fire from studying the Correspondence, what can anyone imagine would happen to you (or your final candle) upon arriving North and learning that name?

[spoiler]In my (inexpert) opinion, Seeking the Name has less to do with the name itself than with Mr. Eaten’s existence. He is, or was, associated with the Second City, which we’ve fairly well accepted was likely Amarna. Amarna, built and ruled by Akhenaten, a Pharaoh who is unique in that an overwhelming effort was put into wiping any mention him and his city from history. By my understanding of ancient Egyptian mythos, that would have completely destroyed him on every level, down to his soul. People whose names are forgotten and undocumented cease to exist. Much in the same way that our Mr. Eaten has…

Except he clearly hasn’t been entirely forgotten, since he still exists to haunt us. A reckoning will not be postponed indefinitely, after all.[/spoiler]

Belatedly realized that a spoiler tag may be in order.

edited by tsukinofaerii on 7/12/2016

What if the name was actually eaten (eaten as in it was unmade, not as in "his name is literally “Eaten”) and seeking is actually a quest to restore it?

Ethel, as confirmed by &quotTake to the stage, a strange hunger in your belly&quot in Mahogany Hall
edited by BillyBones on 7/12/2016

How do you know that it’s not worth it? The information could sell well…[/quote]

It could, correct… But rest assured, any attempts to learn it will not end well.[/quote]
Which means that, if you manage to learn it, you can sell it repeatedly, since it will end badly for anyone buying it.
[li]