We're Gonna Need A Bigger Goat

I wonder what we’d need to feed our goats to make them superior to what they are. If it isn’t a matter of breeding then it’s probably a matter of training and/or diet.

The Overgoat’s bleating opinions:

bbbbbRRRRRAAARRRRGH!
You’ve gained 1 x Aeolian Scream

Grraaaghhhh?
You’ve gained 5 x Maniac’s Prayers

When you task it to climb the spires of the Bazaar, it brings back either a Storm-Threnody or an Aeolian Scream.

It’s a creature of Wild Words… &quotYou must placate it with straw and minted spore-toffee immediately.&quot …Who likes minted spore-toffee! Quick, go to Mrs Plenty’s Carnival and investigate the spore-toffee stall!

No, but seriously, let’s continue with the Wild Words. Would feeding it a diet of incredible Wild Words increase its stamina and mind? Like we fed our Ravens with Mysteries and Rumours? Maybe the Overgoat would appreciate some Night-Whispers, Starstone Demarks, or even a Breath of the Void.

There are rituals of wild words and wind that occur in the high places. The Urchins in the Flit know. The Mind of a Long-Dead God might also reveal something, though that’s really out of the way! The Labyrinth of Tigers seems much more likely than the other two to hide the über option.

Well have any of the Overgoated checked to see if there is an option on the Upper Tier Wild Words Items to feed them to your Overgoat.
I’m a long way off from ever getting enough Echoes to buy even one Goat or enough scraps for a Breath of the Void.

Good luck everyone and I hope someone works it out sometime.[li]
edited by reveurciel on 9/2/2013

Well, Storm-Threnodies aren’t active objects, and Aeolian Screams, Correspondence Plaques, Maniac’s Prayers and Primordial Shrieks don’t seem to have any new option to me. But then, it could just be that the storylet has a prerequisite to be seen at all, so I can’t see it.

Speaking of which, if I wanted to manufacture an improved overgoat, I think the most logical place to start with would be an Overgoat itself. I may stand corrected, but I think that if there is a hidden storylet triggered by some kind of prerequisite, the place where I would look it is the Overgoat card itself. Maybe we could start keeping it in our hand and then experimenting with something to see if new options appear on it?

[quote=lady ciel ]Well have any of the Overgoated checked to see if there is an option on the Upper Tier Wild Words Items to feed them to your Overgoat.
I’m a long way off from ever getting enough Echoes to buy even one Goat or enough scraps for a Breath of the Void.

Good luck everyone and I hope someone works it out sometime.
[/quote]

I have one Overgoat, and I can guarantee that having:

[ul][li]14x Night-Whisper, 7x Coruscating Soul, 1x Dreadful Surmise, 21x Searing Enigma, 10x Primaveal hint, 1x Starstone demark, 8x Tears of Bazaar and 4x Ray-Drenched Cinders does nothing, just as…[/li][li]15637x Souls, 1x bifucrated owl, 7x mark of credit pages, 7x [color=#cc0000]Stravelling Cats[/color][color=#cc0000],[/color] 58x fake Bapist’s head, 1x Iron republic Safe-conduct, 3190x First city coins, 1x Stone tentacle key, 4847x Certifiable scraps, 160x london street signs, A River in a Box, 50x iron-Knife token, 1x [color=#669900]On the Maladies of Goats, volume 1[/color] and [color=#ffffff]4758x Rats-onna-strings[/color] does nothing at all. [/li][li]( What? How can you expect NO &quot[color=rgb(119, 119, 170)]another bout of desperate theorising&quot [/color]In situation like this? )[/li][/ul]And nothing new on Labrynth or Overgoat card either. Gonna try Nadir soon, but that place is card-based so I cannot be sure. Anyone tried sending Overgoat invitation to Alexis or others? I didn’t, as he promised, but who knows…

I have 12005.70 echo, but I think we should be prudent here. That’s not cheap stuff… Also, I don’t think there is good way to send that enormous amount of echo. Currently most highest echo sending option is eyeless skulls (ray-drenched cinder), which is just too rare and precious.[li]
edited by Tommy Wi on 9/2/2013

Until someone appears who’s willing to wager 6000 Echoes on unlocking something by buying another Overgoat, I don’t think anything will be found.

I can confirm that upper tier Wild Words items don’t seem to do anything interesting. Same for the Cave of the Nadir: nothing unusual there, but maybe the right card just didn’t come along…

Well, I’m willing to work at it, but if I"m going to buy another Overgoat, then I need echoes. I have 1000 echoes right now, and all I need is another 10K more. Anyone willing to send me stuff to sell and get more echoes?

What about Breath of the Void? Could that unlock an option, or provide a storylet?[li]

There’s no reason why it couldn’t! Anything could unlock this mystical hidden goat branch, i don’t think we’re going to find out until someone gets the exact solution.
Maybe someone should poke Alexis and try and coerce an extra hint out of him. I hear rats are popular at this time of year (and all other times of year)

[color=#009900]You don’t need any more clues! The solution is right here in this thread.[/color]
[color=#1F1F1F]You don’t even need to pledge to Sunless Sea to get an Übergoat, either.[/color]

The question: ‘If you wanted to manufacture an improved goat, where would you start?’ A Breath of the Void is certainly not the first answer that comes to mind.

Two goats, two goats.
edited by Flyte on 9/2/2013

That’s where you’re wrong! I need roughly a million more clues written in giant flashing neon letters.

[color=#009900]I have in any case added functionality to all goats that may or may not clarify matters.[/color]

[color=#1F1F1F]http://ubergoatcluedispenser.storynexus.com[/color]

The Overgoat now gives a “Caprine Authority +1” stat O_o

Don’t know how it is hidden but if you highlight Alexis’ message there is something else there.
Not sure if it makes anything any clearer though.[li]
edited by reveurciel on 9/2/2013

Don’t know either, but I’ll give it a go.

EDIT: For now it seems to do nothing. It was described as a tool to perpetuate Storynexus’ &quotshaggy dog story&quot or something like that, though. Not a very good omen - the original shaggy dog story ended with an ultimately futile search for a dog. I already feel like I’ll embark on this quest, find nothing, and then feel stupid for a week afterwards. Or until the next thursday, at the very least :s
edited by streetfelineblue on 9/2/2013

Yes it seemed to contradict the idea that we might be able to get an Ubergoat but than I am so far off getting an Overgoat that I really should leave this to other people.

Clue Dispenser is cool. But unfortunately does not seem to contain any clues…

Funnily enough, the version of the shaggy dog story I’ve heard ended with an actual, verifiable and thoroughly shaggy, though valueless, dog. Which is great, you know, if you like shaggy dogs.