Weekly Questions, Beginning 27/03/2017

I just moved house and am very tired now. Ask questions!

I’ve got a question concerning Eyeless Skulls.
I know that I’ll need one to find the Cave of the Nadir, and then five more to enter it.
So, is asking a friend a one-time opportunity, or can I use it again later when I need more? Because I’ve found three skulls with my alt for now, and I’m unsure whether to continue seeking or to keep one for myself and send two others to whoever needs them.

[quote=Aronia]I’ve got a question concerning Eyeless Skulls.
I know that I’ll need one to find the Cave of the Nadir, and then five more to enter it.
So, is asking a friend a one-time opportunity, or can I use it again later when I need more? Because I’ve found three skulls with my alt for now, and I’m unsure whether to continue seeking or to keep one for myself and send two others to whoever needs them.[/quote]
The option to ask only appears in one place, and locks once you have one. So, you could theoretically send out multiple requests and get multiple skulls at a go, but once you’ve passed that point, you’ll have to find the rest the hard way. (There are also other options besides the five skulls for entering the Nadir, if you’ve extra Echoes or Revolutionary connections.)

Is there a way to switch from an orphanage to a salon, or is it impossible once you’ve chosen?
Besides destroying all my lodgings with Beau’s, that is.

Yes. Click on the key to your town house in your inventory and the option to close your orphanage is there.

So, I could either sell my two extra Skulls or give them away, right? It’s not like I could use them for the Cave.
Thank you. I’ll consider that.

[quote=Aronia]So, I could either sell my two extra Skulls or give them away, right? It’s not like I could use them for the Cave.
Thank you. I’ll consider that.[/quote]
Correct on all counts. My own policy for extra Skulls (which many others have as well) is to offer them up on the Eyeless Skull thread here, with the caveat that they get sold when the Skull cards clog up your hand.

Oh. That’s a lot easier than I was expecting. Thanks!

Say… I have a question about the colour Gant here.

Since it has been described as the only colour remaining after all others have been eaten, and Gant kinda looks beige and brown, wouldn’t there be an impression that Gant is the spoor of whatever thing that eats colours? Was the phrase &quotall other colours have been eaten&quot intentionally thought-through in the first place?

P.S. I am aware that Gant is also the colour for rot in the Neath.
edited by Rostygold on 3/28/2017

[quote=Aronia]I’ve got a question concerning Eyeless Skulls.
I know that I’ll need one to find the Cave of the Nadir, and then five more to enter it.[/quote]

FYI, five skulls aren’t strictly required to enter the cave of the nadir. There are other options - you can either spend 2535 CP of connected: revolutionaries or just 400 echoes. Considering that the sale price of five skulls to the revolutionaries is 312.5 echoes, the 400-echo option is honestly pretty reasonable.

The revolutionaries one moreso, assuming you have access to A Public Lecture and can 100% it. Barring extreme luck acquiring skulls it’s the fastest and cheapest way to get into the nadir.

So, I’m on my first zee-trip. Any advice on where I should be headed first? I have a safe-conduct and a screaming map. Still not kicked out of the university. My stats are in the 120s.

Just about everywhere on the Zee is some kind of carousel. The islands in the Southern Archipelago are a bit easier to grok, so I would start there. Polythreme is interesting, but can be confusing if you don’t know how it works. I would not start with the Republic.

It depends on what you want first: Polythreme can get you both a unique set of clothes that gives +1 BDR and +5 Watchful and a unique companion that gives +2 BDR, but you need to have some items for both (Battered Grey Overcoat for the clothes and Extraordinary Hat for the companion). Your stats should be enough to allow you to get both with a bit of work (most checks in Polythreme are luck-based anyway).

IR gets you a unique weapon that gives +2 BDR. IR is about choices, luck and checks on quirks and other qualities you usually overlook. It’s very doable, though.

Polythreme is by far the longest and more frustrating of the two, especially if you are aiming for the companion.

IR is quite fun, but be sure to raise the ‘Changed by the Iron Republic’ quality to 5 before leaving, so you can get the unique weapon. (IR isn’t as dangerous as you’re led to believe by its warning text, btw).

Most of the other places aren’t very useful.
edited by Bertrand Lyndon on 3/28/2017

That depends on what you consider useful.

If you’re only interested in improving your BDR, then I suppose not. If you’re interested in collecting unique items or qualities, if you want to save a step on certain ambitions, or if you are simply interested in learning the game’s lore, then Mutton and Hunter’s Islands are indispensable. After all, if you aren’t acquainted with the history of Mrs. Plenty, have you really lived?

I personally did it in the following order:

1. Hunter’s Keep (mainly because it is only way to continue past a certain step of Heart’s Desire, plus I wanted more of sisters, being their huge fan from SS)
  2. Polythreme ( I hate this place so much…)
  3. Iron Republic (my favourite place, really, I simply love the text there. And Journals are quite profitable if you cash in your Changed by IR to buy them in bulk. IMO, the most interesting grind in game)
  4. Expedition islands (those do have fun lore, but I found mechanic a bit tiring for my taste)
    Also, zailing itself can be useful, if you work for Bishop

Err…so, I seemed to have misplaced my Ambition (Heart’s Desire)? I’ve never paid it much mind, as I knew I would get everything I needed eventually, but I finally got all of my First City coins and now I…can’t find anything about it? Will this be a card that comes up? Do I need to lower my nightmares?

If you have coins, now you have to go to Flit, assuming that you have Route: Flit. If you don’t, there should be a storylet that lets you pass skill checks to get in.

If i pay 50 fate for a robe now (A special delivery? before the Nadir) can i trade it for home comfort immediately or only on Christmas time?
edited by Waterpls on 3/29/2017

If you have the Incarnadaine Fur Robe you can use it to get a Home Comfort at any time.

I always keep one with me throughout the year. This lets me see any new Home Comforts added at Christmas even before hitting the first SNOWBOUND event of that year.