Weekly Questions, Beginning 27/03/2017

Hi, a couple of questions, as I’m grinding my way toward my Zubmarine:

1. what is the best source of magnificent diamonds - thieve’s cache or An implausible penance?
  2. I have very little renown in both Docks and Criminal - am I better grinding these up and then using oversee voyages or just using the Wilmot’s end Carousel for whirring contraptions?

[quote=BlabberingMat]
Also, zailing itself can be useful, if you work for Bishop[/quote]

Are you talking about Flint? Isn’t Apis Meet unprofitable

or are you talking about something else?

[quote=antongarou]Hi, a couple of questions, as I’m grinding my way toward my Zubmarine:

1. what is the best source of magnificent diamonds - thieve’s cache or An implausible penance?

2. I have very little renown in both Docks and Criminal - am I better grinding these up and then using oversee voyages or just using the Wilmot’s end Carousel for whirring contraptions?[/quote]

3. Both as one uses Criminal Favours and one uses Dock Favours. If you have Implausible Penance card in hand, hold on it until you get 7 Favours. If you have 7 of them and another card that gives you one, but not Implausible Penance card, just do an expedition. If you don’t have a 4 card lodging or better, make sure you keep your other Favours under 5, Nightmares and Suspicion under 5 as well (you can use the suit, goldfish or cane to help you with those). Otherwise you may be assaulted by non-discard able cards.

4. Here’s a link which will help you with the whirring contraptions. Depending how far you’re with the Dock and Criminal Renown you can adjust accordingly. Criminal level 20 gives you this card, but you also need Dock level 20 to use this option. As honey is a pain to grind, it’s best to get Criminal to level 20 first (long term).

So, get criminal pet, reach level 20, switch to Dock pet and while doing this, use your Dock to increase Renown or just expeditions (Thieves is best in any case) and with the extra AP go to Wilmot’s End. Zub does require a lot of time and effort, but I wish you best luck!
edited by Skinnyman on 3/29/2017

Thanks for all the answer! I don’ t have any of the item you mentioned, so I guess I’ll postpone my trip to Polythreme. I’ll try the republic.

It depends on what you want first: Polythreme can get you both a unique set of clothes that gives +1 BDR and +5 Watchful and a unique companion that gives +2 BDR, but you need to have some items for both (Battered Grey Overcoat for the clothes and Extraordinary Hat for the companion). Your stats should be enough to allow you to get both with a bit of work (most checks in Polythreme are luck-based anyway).

IR gets you a unique weapon that gives +2 BDR. IR is about choices, luck and checks on quirks and other qualities you usually overlook. It’s very doable, though.

Polythreme is by far the longest and more frustrating of the two, especially if you are aiming for the companion.

IR is quite fun, but be sure to raise the ‘Changed by the Iron Republic’ quality to 5 before leaving, so you can get the unique weapon. (IR isn’t as dangerous as you’re led to believe by its warning text, btw).

Most of the other places aren’t very useful.
edited by Bertrand Lyndon on 3/28/2017[/quote]

[quote=Skinnyman][quote=BlabberingMat]

or are you talking about something else?

[/quote]

I assumed he was talking about hunting plated seals.

Hi. I’m having trouble navigating the Wiki’s Hallowmas content from several years ago. Mainly I’m just curious about the companion upgrades. A couple of Google-able keywords are more than an adequate assistance.

[quote=Skinnyman][quote=BlabberingMat]

or are you talking about something else?[/quote]

I was talking about Plated Seal you have to catch while on zee for Bishop. Minor thing really, but I thought it should be mentioned
edited by BlabberingMat on 3/29/2017

[li]
What exactly are you wondering about the companion upgrades? A total of ten were possible last year: Fabulous Accomplice, Esoteric Accomplice, Pious Henchman, Faustian Henchman, Skullduggerous Urchin, Well-Scrubbed Urchin, Extravagantly-Titled Tigress, Haunted Goldfish, Rubbery Campanologist, and Weeping Doll. Every upgradable companion can be bought at the Bazaar, except the Watchful Doll (Fate-locked FotER gift) and the Rubbery Bellringer (25 Rubbery Renown). In order to upgrade a companion, at Hallowmas one must also obtain the requisite confessions, which differ depending on the companion one wants. The upgraded companions offer differing stat bonuses, the most notable of which are the +2 BDR of the Tigress and Goldfish and the high Dangerous and Persuasive stats provided by the Tigress.

Does that answer your question?

SORRY! I totally forgot I’d left this tab open! No, I was wandering about the content from previous years. 2015 and earlier.

I’m at 36 Renown for Criminals and am considering all kinds of ways to scrape in some extra points of Shadowy and it just struck me as odd that a faction item like the Bellringer would get an upgrade. I was just wandering if this was the norm for Hallowmas. Not that I expect much benefit from future content. My stats will be all 200 by then.

In previous years, Hallowmas was completely different. There were no companion upgrades.

Basically: You solicited confessions from other players, and at the end of the holiday you could choose to either betray their trust (for some gains - most notably Connected: The Masters) or to keep their confidence.

The more you traded confessions (and the more you kept confidence) the higher you could raise a quality called &quotSpirit of Hallowmas&quot. At the end of the holiday, you received a reward based on how high that quality was.

This got very intense for many players, since you could only get a confession once from each other specific player. So there were community lists of active players to help people identify others to confess, and this was a huge action drain because you had to have enough menaces to be eligible to confess. People who tried to get Spirit of Hallowmas as high as possible basically spent 100% of their actions on raising menaces, confessing and soliciting confessions.

I thought it was something like that. Thanks.

[quote=antongarou]Hi, a couple of questions, as I’m grinding my way toward my Zubmarine:

2. I have very little renown in both Docks and Criminal - am I better grinding these up and then using oversee voyages or just using the Wilmot’s end Carousel for whirring contraptions?[/quote]

I got my zub the non-fate way, and I highly recommend switching professions to Murderer, since those 2 magnificent diamonds every week really help with the zub grind. Unless, of course, your character is opposed to that profession.

If one has a large (and I do mean large; 50,000+) hoard of Cryptic Clues, the best source of magnificent diamonds is buying a bag of low quality diamonds in the bazaar sidestreets. There’s a 5% rare success to get a magnificent diamond. Turning in my 200,000 clues gave me ~70 magnificent diamonds (more than expected, actually).

[quote=dov]In previous years, Hallowmas was completely different. … People who tried to get Spirit of Hallowmas as high as possible basically spent 100% of their actions on raising menaces, confessing and soliciting confessions.[/quote] Wow. This makes me happy this past year’s Hallowmas was my first. That just sounds so… stressful. I hope they keep the new version of Hallowmas around!

It was so stressful, a bunch of us got together an organized a giant thing so everyone would get the best reward. So they decided to change it :D

Can I only elevate my unmodified Watchful past 200 with “Will you execute our denouement” once? If so, what level of Notability should I get to before I do that?

You can do it more than once, I don’t think you can do it if your persuasive is not 200.

Are there any April Fool’s Day Events? I sent someone a live box of rats as a prank, but is there any actual prank cards of storylets?

Are there any April Fool’s Day Events? I sent someone a live box of rats as a prank, but is there any actual prank cards of storylets?

You can do it multiple times, although it may take a while. Your Watchful will be set to 200 plus your Notability, and your Notability will be set to 0. So it depends on how much Notability you’re willing to spend! Is there a particular goal you’re trying to achieve?

No April fools events I’m afraid.