Weekly Questions, Beginning 21/11/2016

You will be able to visit Polythreme if you have a ship(Though the island contains alot of pain and suffering, so good luck if you go there).[/quote]

Is there any major gain from going there through the screaming map? I’ve been there before and I didn’t find it very useful…

You will be able to visit Polythreme if you have a ship(Though the island contains alot of pain and suffering, so good luck if you go there).[/quote]

Is there any major gain from going there through the screaming map? I’ve been there before and I didn’t find it very useful…[/quote]

There are two unique items to get there, one is pretty cool but useless and the other is a pet that gives a boost to both dreaded and bizzare, and is probably one of the easiest non fate locked pets to obtain for notability(since the amount of making waves you need to advance is lowered by how much bizzare, dreaded and respected you have(combined, of course), if you are not a person of some importance then there aren’t many reasons to bother(though im not sure if you need to be a person of some importance to be able to obtain the map so I just had to say that just in case)

note:and if you are going there to get the unique items, make sure to bring a battered grey overcoat and an exceptional hat along with you.

Can someone explain to me (in a &quotFor dummies&quot form, please) how capping of Second chances works? I’ve noticed that sometimes while playing chess or sparring I’m supposed to get a SC, but don’t because &quotit’s higher than 11&quot, but other times it goes up to 20 and even beyond? And I’m pretty sure I’ve seen &quotit’s higher than 15&quot as well, but that might have been for Confident smiles, so maybe coffee works differently?

[quote=Lallinka]Can someone explain to me (in a &quotFor dummies&quot form, please) how capping of Second chances works?[/quote]Sure. :) [Saving Throw: FAIL] First, there’s these BIG pictures on the LEFT, of ANIMAL’S HEADS. Then there’s some WORDS BELO

[8000000B PRIVILEGE VIOLATION DETECTED]
[INTERRUPT HANDLER ACTIVE]

Erm. Sorry. For that.

… Second Chances are simply capped differently per action, or storylet. Means some cap at X, others at Y. Additionally, the cap may be different from the outcome - f.e. Playing Chess or Sparring gives not only a different number of Insights to the winner and the loser, these are also differently capped*. If you want a (hopefully) complete overview, I’d simply redirect you to the Wiki for that - you will find that there’s some difference with the diverse options. Caligula’s Coffee caps at 16 Smiles for both, though.

• It’s decidedly better to lose at Chess - presumably you learn more this way. Which some may find debatable.
    Edit: Edited out the Wiki url.Sheesh.
    edited by Reshemin on 11/25/2016

is the fallenlondon site iffy for anyone else? it loads incorrectly for me on opera, chrome, edge, internet explorer and firefox like so Imgur: The magic of the Internet and has been thus since 3.30am (time at GMT +8). i don’t have a mobile, and only access the site on the computer. it is not my internet connection at fault, as i have no issues surfing other websites, etc. it is not my ISP either, as i called them and they said i should not have this problem. clicking on the tabs did nothing as well, the issue in the image still occurs. and yes, i cleared cache, deleted cookies, disabled adblock and popup thingies, relogged in etc on all browsers mentioned above. but problem persists. the game and the site were fine until the time referenced above.
please help and advise. thanks in advance.
edited by Lady Strange on 11/25/2016

It works normally for me.

Are you by any chance or way blocking Google Ajax, or have NoScript active, or anything like that? I get this if I block Ajax, at least.

I am not blocking anything.

Have you tried using a different computer?

the issue occurs on all the computers available in my residence

I really can only remember having had this (exact same) issue with incorrectly configured blocking, myself - specifically Ajax. Can you tracert or ping ajax.googleapis.com?

i am a luddite, so i don’t know how to do that

If on Windows 10 (which I assume) - rightclick on Startmenu/Windowslogo lower left, click ‘Run’, type ‘cmd’, enter. (That opens a DOS shell.) There just type ‘ping ajax.googleapis.com’ (and hit enter).

it says “ping ajax.googleapis.com is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable command or batch file.”

[quote=Lady Strange]it says &quotping ajax.googleapis.com is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable command or batch file.&quot[/quote]wtf… that is unexpected. It should look like this: https://imgur.com/a/Yyi72. Same with tracert??

tracert yields the same error message. alas.

[edit]
just repeated tracert. it now says &quotrequest timed out&quot a whole lot.
edited by Lady Strange on 11/25/2016

Is anybody having trouble echoing stories to their journal? I get the usual pop up so I can edit the title if desired and so on, but then when I go to echo it I get a weird empty pop up and nothing gets echoed to the journal.

i give up for now and will go to bed. i’ll post here again tomorrow, regardless as to whether the issue persists. that way those who tried to assist me can offer suggestions and be kept in the loop. thanks in the meantime.

[quote=Lady Strange]just repeated tracert. it now says &quotrequest timed out&quot a whole lot.[/quote]Heh, and here I was typing up a wall of text on how you might find the commands. :)
If you typed it correctly and can’t reach ajax.googleapis.com, then we’ve nailed that. What we don’t know is the reason :D You said it started at exactly 3:30? Any firewalls, routers or such auto-updating? Someone or -thing playing with router configs? I’ve no way to know, but maybe something like that.

[quote=NinjaComedian]Is anybody having trouble echoing stories to their journal? I get the usual pop up so I can edit the title if desired and so on, but then when I go to echo it I get a weird empty pop up and nothing gets echoed to the journal.[/quote]Everything normal here.