Weekly Questions, Beginning 20/03/2017

Hello everyone.
I’m at the point where I can join the dilmun club and I want to side with his amused lordship, but I need 15 approaching the gates of the garden quality. What’s the best way to increase this? The only storylet that i know of is playing chess with the boatman, but dying is a bit inconvenient for me at the time.

[quote=DrMoriviri]Hello everyone.
I’m at the point where I can join the dilmun club and I want to side with his amused lordship, but I need 15 approaching the gates of the garden quality. What’s the best way to increase this? The only storylet that i know of is playing chess with the boatman, but dying is a bit inconvenient for me at the time.[/quote]

I think there are some dreams which also increase it, and an opportunity card at your lodgings allowing you to engage in certain activities with friends. Here are some other options: http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Touched_by_Fingerwork_Gain

[li]

I’m at the point where I can join the dilmun club and I want to side with his amused lordship, but I need 15 approaching the gates of the garden quality. What’s the best way to increase this? The only storylet that i know of is playing chess with the boatman, but dying is a bit inconvenient for me at the time.[/quote]

The opportunity cards in this area can also increase approaching the gates and with less risk of wounds.

[quote=Jermaine Vendredi]Having run through the newspaper storyline a couple of times based on storylets alone, I have the definite feeling I’m missing something. Is there a guide? Are there cards? Do they crop up all over London, or do I need to stay in Doubt Street?
Any assistance would be most appreciated. (I shall include a puff piece about you and your endeavours in the next edition of the Neath Hellion. I promise.)[/quote]
This was quite a bit higher in the post, but it doesn’t look like it got answered.
There are various cards that will appear with different Hours Before the Deadline quality. You can be wherever you want in London for them to show up, IIRC. There are ones that show up for values 2-12 that let you interview other characters that are pursuing ambitions. There are also various other cards. All the things you can do can be found here.
There isn’t a huge story quality to running a newspaper, though. You can gain some qualities by publishing newspapers with the larger amount of meritorious, salacious, or outlandish copies, although the only one that has much use is becoming a defender of the truth and using it in the Affair of the Box storyline.

Thank you, Pumpkinhead, that was the page I was looking for and couldn’t find. I appreciate your archaeological effort in digging out my original post!

What is the Concursion of Petals? Is this a thing? or just fluff on a side note ingame?

[li]
It’s just a method of increasing your hedonist. As far as I know, lorewise there isn’t any other mention of the Concursion.

[li]
It’s just a method of increasing your hedonist. As far as I know, lorewise there isn’t any other mention of the Concursion.[/quote]
Thanks[/li]

[quote=DonaghyLogan]

I think there are some dreams which also increase it, and an opportunity card at your lodgings allowing you to engage in certain activities with friends. Here are some other options: http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Touched_by_Fingerwork_Gain

[li][/quote]
Thanks for the answer, I’m guessing the card in question is &quotmisteryies of the neath&quot? That’s quite rare… well, i’ll just trust the RNG, i guess.

One more question, my ambition is light fingers, and I’m at the point where

i can enter the labyrinth in Spite. Since I think this takes me to a new location, I just want to make sure my stats were high enough. My shadowy is 119, my persuasive is 137. Is that enough? Also, is there something I need to bring with me? I think I have enough candles (5000+), is there anything else?

I never actually learned, what is the best gift from the Capering Relicker when my someone is coming comes through? I assume it’s between the Posi or fate options like the Soul Trade?

I don’t have all of the options unlocked, but I will say that if you are a Spirifer, it seems that the option unlocked by your own Infernal Contract is better than the one unlocked by the Soul Trade itself (and this is better than the POSI option).

If you have reasonably high shadowy (~200 with gear), it’s better spend your Someone is Coming robbing a drunk rat in Spite.

[quote=Cthonius]I never actually learned, what is the best gift from the Capering Relicker when my someone is coming comes through? I assume it’s between the Posi or fate options like the Soul Trade?[/quote] The PoSI option is worth 12 echoes, the various Fate options are worth 10 echoes, though as PSGarak notes, the option that is unlocked by having your own Infernal Contract will probably end up being more profitable if you are a spirifer.

If you get the Gift from the Capering Relicker at precisely 4 SiC, it’s more profitable than robbing the drunk rat, but by the time you are one or two change points beyond 4, the rat becomes the better option. I like to try to use both options to end up hitting the Gift on the button, but simply robbing the drunk rat is much simpler (and has additional utility if the Ratwork Watch is an upgrade over your best Watchful weapon).

[quote=antongarou]Is there any use to the &quotrecurring dreams&quot properties?[/quote]If you enter the Cave of the Nadir with sufficient Nightmares, certain dream properties unlock cards. This is not, however, a terribly good deal given that said cards reduce your dream property by 10 CP, which will likely take you 10 actions to get back, for a 12.5 echo item.
edited by Kaigen on 3/22/2017

You could theoretically get those CP from red bordered dream cards, which cost no actions (if used at 0 actions), though the nightmare boost alone probably makes this unprofitable.

And I’m working on rechecking that rare success rate. 60 so far and no watch, but I still got about 400 more to go! :D

If you have a boat there are a number of opportunities on Hunter’s Keep to increase ATG.

Thanks everyone who answered my question!. is there any more story content in the Palace cellar storyline once I unlocked &quotBack to the Palace Cellars&quot? The story so far is intriguing

[quote=SeveredJoke]

If you have a boat there are a number of opportunities on Hunter’s Keep to increase ATG.[/quote]

Yes i have a boat, but I haven’t zailed yet because I’m working on a novel at the empress’ court. Out of curiosity, what’s your possible destinations when zailing? (barring the destinations that needs an item, like polythreme or the iron republic)

Are you going to spend any money on this game? Then yeah, there is a continuation.
Otherwise… no. You are stuck.

[quote=DrMoriviri][quote=SeveredJoke]

If you have a boat there are a number of opportunities on Hunter’s Keep to increase ATG.[/quote]

Yes i have a boat, but I haven’t zailed yet because I’m working on a novel at the empress’ court. Out of curiosity, what’s your possible destinations when zailing? (barring the destinations that needs an item, like polythreme or the iron republic)[/quote]

There’s a few that I can see, Hunter’s Keep and erm…another one. The other locations are linked to items or storylets involving scientific discoveries which I think are related to the Dilmun Club (still working on my books of hidden bodies to get that one). Side note, I liked Polythreme! RNG screwed me on many an occassion but so many, many maniacs prayers for my troubles.