Weekly Questions, Beginning 20/03/2017

Hello, dear delighfulings! Here’s this week’s questions for miniature mysteries and the solving thereof. Go moderately hog wild!

Is there any plan to advance any of the ambitions soon? 2016 had none of that.

That said, it has been some ways into the update-dearth season - which is March to end of July as of 2016. Kudos to Failbetter for coming up with the amusing Election month last year, and squeezing in the Rubbery Men and Dock updates in May and March last year, but really, I don’t know if I can take another update-dearth season.
edited by Rostygold on 3/20/2017

Only have to wait till 2012! (The last announced date)

You are being sarcastic right?

Sadly, no. But there was an announcement of a batch of updates more recently, though all except light fingers have been released. No dates were mentioned in that announcement and it has been three years since that update.
edited by suinicide on 3/20/2017

Specifically:

Back in October 2014, FBG have announced that after a long delay, the four ambitions will finally each get an update:

And, indeed, Bag a Legend received its update in October 2014, followed by a Nemesis update shortly after in December 2014.

Then there was a very long pause, and eventually, Heart’s Desire was updated in June 2015. Since then, there’s been no update to Light Fingers, though a comment on Twitter from December 2015 confirmed that it’s &quotnext&quot.

Oh, but in case anyone was curious, I asked shortly before the stream and was told there should be an announcement next month regarding Fallen London.

[quote=suinicide]Oh, but in case anyone was curious, I asked shortly before the stream and was told there should be an announcement next month regarding Fallen London.
edited by suinicide on 3/20/2017[/quote]

[color=#0066ff]I should elaborate! We now have more people who are fully trained up and working at full capacity across our games, so I am fairly sure we’ll have some news of the things they’re going to deliver for Fallen London in the coming month(s). I can’t be more precise at the moment because we’re currently pitching and planning this work. Here’s more from Adam on where we’re at, from the recent AMA.[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]Note that I’ll be away on maternity leave from 13 April, but you’ve been getting your Fallen London updates from Haley for yonks now so nothing should change![/color]

Have I made a terrible mistake by courting the affections of the Quiet Devilress? I nearly lost my soul yesterday!

I have worked through the opportunity / CTD to get my first Mark of Credit but have no idea where the Nemesis key may be.

Is there a way to switch allegiances in the War of Illusion? I have an aversion to seances. DO I have to progress to the end befor betrayal or can I switch through contradictory actions (as in the Docks)?

One more! How do I get a book of Hidden Bodies? Is it the same as a book of the dead?

[quote=SeveredJoke]Have I made a terrible mistake by courting the affections of the Quiet Devilress? I nearly lost my soul yesterday!

I have worked through the opportunity / CTD to get my first Mark of Credit but have no idea where the Nemesis key may be.

Is there a way to switch allegiances in the War of Illusion? I have an aversion to seances. DO I have to progress to the end befor betrayal or can I switch through contradictory actions (as in the Docks)?

One more! How do I get a book of Hidden Bodies? Is it the same as a book of the dead?[/quote]

1. yeah, she’s after your soul. Constantly rejecting her will shoo that danger away.

2. the stone tentacle key is in hunters keep

3. You need to play both sides in the flit to switch sides. If you didn’t do that, you’re stuck.

4). No, you can make them in the bazaar sidestreets or by winning enough plant fights.

[quote=suinicide]

1. yeah, she’s after your soul. Constantly rejecting her will shoo that danger away.

2. the stone tentacle key is in hunters keep

3. You need to play both sides in the flit to switch sides. If you didn’t do that, you’re stuck.

4). No, you can make them in the bazaar sidestreets or by winning enough plant fights.[/quote]

Good to know, thank you. Won’t be for a while then, I’m still griding the War of Assassins to get enough criminals to go for the second boat before I can even go zailing.

Plant fights? So that’s what the sprout card is about!

Yep, although it takes forEVER to get to actually fighting. The bazaar sidestreets are the best option for books of hidden bodies.

This has been on my mind for a while now.

Previously, one of the stages in &quotIn Search of a Stiff Drink&quot had options which are Fate-locked - but they were made available to everyone in September 2015.

Hopeful me thought that Failbetter might be making the smaller Fate options become available, but there was nothing further. Then I thought maybe the lore that was revealed about the Widow isn’t really that significant to warrant Fate-locking, or that some other story (one of the ambitions, if I recall) already had something similar.

What was the reason for this, really?
edited by Rostygold on 3/21/2017

What is the most profitable way to raise Nightmares to 5? I need it for Somnolent Hyaena
edited by Waterpls on 3/21/2017

Is there any use to the &quotrecurring dreams&quot properties?

Having run through the newspaper storyline a couple of times based on storylets alone, I have the definite feeling I’m missing something. Is there a guide? Are there cards? Do they crop up all over London, or do I need to stay in Doubt Street?
Any assistance would be most appreciated. (I shall include a puff piece about you and your endeavours in the next edition of the Neath Hellion. I promise.)

You can spend them in the certain stage of Heart’s Desire ambition, but there is an alternative way to progress. I believe you need some of them to get to the Renown 40 Urchins reward.
edited by Waterpls on 3/21/2017

[quote=Waterpls]What is the most profitable way to raise Nightmares to 5? I need it for Somnolent Hyaena
edited by Waterpls on 3/21/2017[/quote]

I went to the Forgotten Quarter and went searching. Some of the fail outcomes increase your nightmares.

Interesting things happen if you listen to What the Thunder Said long enough. None of the other dreams, to my knowledge, do anything more than open up variant options on other recurring dream cards.

[quote=Waterpls]What is the most profitable way to raise Nightmares to 5? I need it for Somnolent Hyaena
edited by Waterpls on 3/21/2017[/quote]
Remember the bonnet which grants +1 Nightmares. If you’re starting from 0 equip it and unequip it; it’ll gain you a free CP. Here are the best possible options for Nightmares.

Interesting things happen if you listen to What the Thunder Said long enough. None of the other dreams, to my knowledge, do anything more than open up variant options on other recurring dream cards.[/quote]
Remember that What the Thunder Said quality has more cards (and more abundant) so it won’t take you ages. You’ll need some carousels on Mutton Island thought.