Weekly Questions, Beginning 20/02/2017

Thanks.

So get the fate locked companion from the orphanage and then open a Salon.

That’s the typical route, yes.

How long will it take me to get back to London after I’ve been forced to enter the Foreign Service?

My Silk-Clad Asphyxiator is pursuing her story through the prism of Persuasiveness. Which (bloodymindedly) means she can’t become a PoSI (and get a ship) until she’s gotten herself banned from the Shuttered Palace. Added problem: her ambition is Heart’s Desire. She has a SotC 10 and has finally raised her nightmares enough (Fire Sermon was the last, obviously) to get the Manager talking. So, we’re ready to go.

I would not get kicked out of court quite yet. As of now, there’s no way to get back, and if you’re still not a POSI, losing access to it loses some useful grinds. You might as well work to progress one of the other stats so you can use it for POSI. What you chose at this point doesn’t actually matter.
Actually, you don’t get kicked out of the shuttered palace, just court. I’m not sure what that does to heart’s desire, although I assume it’s set up so you’re not locked out.
edited by Pumpkinhead on 2/24/2017

My Ever-Optimistic Dabbler is grinding Eyeless Skulls (or trying to.) She has a 5-card dwelling and her hand currently consists of two mood cards and three skull menaces. What will happen to my hand if I move to a 3-card home and then back again?

They’re stored in a few invisible card slots, and pop back up when theres room.

[quote=Pumpkinhead]I would not get kicked out of court quite yet. As of now, there’s no way to get back, and if you’re still not a POSI, losing access to it loses some useful grinds. You might as well work to progress one of the other stats so you can use it for POSI. What you chose at this point doesn’t actually matter.
Actually, you don’t get kicked out of the shuttered palace, just court. I’m not sure what that does to heart’s desire, although I assume it’s set up so you’re not locked out.
edited by Pumpkinhead on 2/24/2017[/quote]

That doesn’t sound right. In order to progress Heart’s Desire I need to perform the Topsy King’s opera. And performing an opera (ANY opera) will get me banned. I’d rather it be one and the same opera. Anyway, my question was about how long it’ll take me to return to London after the Foreign Service storyline.

[quote=Sallow][quote=Pumpkinhead]I would not get kicked out of court quite yet. As of now, there’s no way to get back, and if you’re still not a POSI, losing access to it loses some useful grinds. You might as well work to progress one of the other stats so you can use it for POSI. What you chose at this point doesn’t actually matter.
edited by Pumpkinhead on 2/24/2017[/quote]

That doesn’t sound right. In order to progress Heart’s Desire I need to perform the Topsy King’s opera. And performing an opera (ANY opera) will get me banned. I’d rather it be one and the same opera. Anyway, my question was about how long it’ll take me to return to London after the Foreign Service storyline.[/quote]

If you perform the opera and get banned, you are sent straight to the tomb colonies, once you get back you are given the options to pursue foreign service, but you don’t have to.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! This has been bugging me for two months now!

Does performing the topsy king’s opera actually kick you out of court permanently, or does it just send you to the tomb colonies? I’m fairly certain I performed the opera, but I certainly wasn’t kicked out of court until later.
edited by Pumpkinhead on 2/24/2017

[quote=Robin Alexander]How many days does EF last?

I could have sworn it was 30/31, but I seem to have 28 days this time around . . . trying to work out if I misremembered, or the remaining subscription was added to the new, or if the amount of days given has changed :-S[/quote]

It was always a calendar month for me. My last one lasted from Jan 21 till Feb 21.

[quote=Sallow]
That doesn’t sound right. In order to progress Heart’s Desire I need to perform the Topsy King’s opera. And performing an opera (ANY opera) will get me banned. I’d rather it be one and the same opera. Anyway, my question was about how long it’ll take me to return to London after the Foreign Service storyline.[/quote]

Ah, I misunderstood, sorry. I didn’t realize you were only a step away from getting kicked out, regardless of heart’s desire.
As suinicide said, it’s a trip to the tomb colonies, and you don’t actually have to do the foreign office stuff. In fact, it’s pretty useless to do it without having a ship to go to port carnelian afterward.

You can perform the Topsy King’s opera in Veilgarden instead to avoid getting kicked out of the Court. Were it otherwise, people who had already been kicked out would be unable to pursue the ambition.

Hmm. I thought I did it at court, but I must have done it in veilgarden. Does that also immediately send you to the tomb colonies?

I’ve reached renown criminals 43 and have amassed 7 more favours criminals, but my shadowy is not high enough to gain the next level of renown. I have purchased the best shadowy piece in every slot from the Bazaar, and am waiting impatiently for the shadowy mood granting card.

Is there anything else for whcih I can use these favours criminals? I noticed some of them can be used in areas for items (i.e. Forgotten Quarter: Call in favours in the Forgotten Quarter offers trade tomb colonies and rubbery men opportunities). I haven’t been able to locate something similar for criminal favours.

The criminal ones are on cards, call in favours in the flit, a merry sort of crime, and an implausible penance.

They’re nice to use for expeditions (a thief’s cache is superior to the shrine of the deep blue heaven, due to giving additional rewards like glim and souls on top of the hidden treasure). Also, conflict cards are almost universally very profitable; with Criminals, you’ll want to use Crime or Punishment at 5 favors (and 5 favors exactly) to get a very nice payout.

Implausible penance and merry sort of crime are okay, but only if you’ve got extra favors you can’t spend on the above two things for some reason.

Also, have you gotten the final reward from the faction? It’s in New Newgate and costs 7 favors.
edited by Kaijyuu on 2/24/2017

I’m thinking about advancing from Author to Correspondent, and I’ll likely be able to do so in the next twenty-four hours. Should I?

Why shouldn’t you? I can’t wait to become a Midnighter.