Weekly Questions, Beginning 20/02/2017

The Rose has furled, the Wrecks are Fated and our Aunt has gone to the High Wilderness - time for a new batch of questions to answer!

To become a Scholar of corespondance you need to get Set of Correspondence Stones for the first time and to get them you need to do the expedition Tomb of the seven for the first time? Im correct?
edited by Tofan Bogdan on 2/21/2017

That is correct. Just keep making your your name, and you’ll get em.

thanks.

Anything on the implementation date of the next faction overhaul into the Favours and Renown system?

Another question where it is possible to grind favor criminals? Not as a card but as an repeatable action.

It’s mentioned here, but not particularly recommended as you need to be in prison and it’s expensive compared to other criminal favour sources.
http://community.failbettergames.com/topic22266-storylet-favors-grinding.aspx

Nope.

Thanks you all.

[li]I’m going to move my last question to this one, btw I did send a calling card, but to no avail.

I am having difficulties adopting a protégé, we both have the required qualities and are acquaintances , but I appear to be unable to invite them.
[/li]

i heard it has errors. Send at support. Try the other person to request you as a patron. If he is a Person of some importance that option doesn’t appear and you will have to try after this error is solved.

[quote=surreyjack][li]I’m going to move my last question to this one, btw I did send a calling card, but to no avail.

I am having difficulties adopting a protégé, we both have the required qualities and are acquaintances , but I appear to be unable to invite them.
[/li][/quote]
Are you sure that both of you have less that 94 Social Influence? Other than this, you should be able to send an invitation.

Now, my turn. Long ago I accidentally ended my relation with a Once-Dashing Smuggler, but I know about the Fate option the Tomb Colonies. But if I pick another option I’ll gain another Myrrh-Scented Rose which locks the first card there; I’m sure it does because I’m visiting this place at the moment and it requires exactly one Myrrh-Scented Rose. But I don’t see any other option to lower it back to.
Does this mean that if I pick any other option besides the Fate one, I’ll be permanently lock this story?

Is relicker gambling worth it mathematically?

Over a long enough period of time to equalize out the blessings/curses of the RNG … yes, gambling is good. It’s a 50/50 shot with 20 scraps to gain and 18 to lose.

For many humans it is a poor choice due to the constant depredations of the RNG – which can be remarkably discouraging to a lot of people. So, if you can’t accept watching string after string of failures broken by solitary successes … well, gambling probably isn’t for you. But if you’re capable of not even looking at the results and just pushing “Recertify a double-armful of scraps” every time you see it … well, then yes, mathematically it’s worth it.

(most people won’t be happy doing it though, it’s like the Fidgeting Writer in that – either you’re the sort of person who doesn’t care one jot or you should really stay away from the whole affair and pursue a box or something else instead)

Okay, brand new character, has done almost nothing beyond escaping New Newgate, and now she has this thing blocking her progress:

&quot[i]Hello, Delicious Friends! We’re doing a bit of book-keeping, and need to know where in your Dangerous career you are. If you wish, you may be able to start at a lower tier and play your way back up through the ranks!

You exterminated an infestation of sorrow-spiders

It was your second contract for the Department of Menace Eradication.
This is the second tier. Here, you will resist a ratty invasion of your home and begin to explore Bugsby’s Marshes.

You’ve slain a Worryingly Large Rat

Arriving in Watchmaker’s Hill, you found work at the Department of Menace Eradication. Your first contract was to hunt a Worryingly Large Rat.
This is the first and earliest tier. It will place you near the beginning of the Dangerous content, where you will investigate an infestation of sorrow-spiders.&quot

[/i]My character has done neither of these things to my knowledge. So whatever I pick it is going to skip some content. There doesn’t seem any way to escape this. It’s very annoying. I’m actually thinking of just dumping this character and starting another one now. Advice?

edited by Plynkes on 2/21/2017

Gambling 10 is probably a better option than gambling 20. At 10 per win, 8 per loss it has the same expected net gain over time, but half the variance. Unless you like leaving your fate to RNG, or the RNG likes you back, the lower stakes is probably better. (Gambling 5 is not good–5 per win, 4 per loss is half the net gain.)

[quote=Plynkes][i]You’ve slain a Worryingly Large Rat

Arriving in Watchmaker’s Hill, you found work at the Department of Menace Eradication. Your first contract was to hunt a Worryingly Large Rat.
This is the first and earliest tier. It will place you near the beginning of the Dangerous content, where you will investigate an infestation of sorrow-spiders.&quot

[/i]My character has done neither of these things to my knowledge. So whatever I pick it is going to skip some content. There doesn’t seem any way to escape this. It’s very annoying. I’m actually thinking of just dumping this character and starting another one now. Advice?[/quote]I, meaning this character, can still take the Worryingly Large Rat contract from the Department. And I’m waaaay beyond this stuff for ages now - so I assume it’s pretty safe to say you shouldn’t be missing out on anything by taking this level, as you should also still be able to go rat-hunting then (it just requires Name Scrawled In Blood 1, so… ).

Ah right then. Thanks. I’ll give that a go.

Does the Ruberry Murders(fate locked) give access to Flute Street? The story is worth to buy for fate?

[quote=Tofan Bogdan]Does the Ruberry Murders(fate locked) give access to Flute Street? The story is worth to buy for fate?
edited by Tofan Bogdan on 2/21/2017[/quote]

No, it doesn’t. Check some of the lists on which are the best fate stories for a more general view on the RM; I personally found it less pleasing.