Weekly Questions, Beginning 19/09/2016

O Why do you wither and wamble?
Why do you drumble and drove?
For 'tis the Monday of questions
And here are the answers I plove.

(Weekly questions; traditional.)

Let’s start:

1. I’m working on getting the texts for successes in University Carousel level 5, but Wiki claims The library roof’s option Report them to the Constables costs all Revolutionaries connections. If that’s true, does anyone have the echo for it?

2. I decided to try and get a Crimson book which means I’ll need a lot of wine. Getting Airag with Velocipede costs ~54.57 AP and yields, on average, 2.25 more E which places it at 1.186 EPA; the values include conversion and the extras from them w/o counting rare success.
    Besides expeditions I don’t have access to the 4th Coil nor have I finished the Box affair. If the information was right, the latter is a few pennies better than the Velocipede carousel, but point is I don’t want to rush to the end of the stories just for a grind.
    So, any other reliable or enjoyable carousels or grinds (edit: for wines, of course! :D)?
    edited by Skinnyman on 9/19/2016

There is hardly such thing as enjoyable grind, unless you’re feeling at least moderately masochistic. In which case you should consider (in)famously Scheherazade-like Fidgeting Writer grind. It can also be somewhat more userful than others if you’re chasing Sultan of Dreams. Besides that, Port Carnelian is rather fun, but it keeps you away from London and also it seems you’re not quite there yet progression-wise.

On University - I don’t think you can amass enough connected:someone to be detrimented in a long or short run by losing it. Given Hallowmas is close, if it won’t be changed a lot you may end up with excessive amount of connected:revolutionaries.
edited by Talkes on 9/19/2016

Talkes, I was really talking about wine grind to get a Crimson Book which requires someone’s Blood which requires a lot of wines. :D
Regarding University I really don’t want to lose ~300 levels of Connections. :D I’m not against Revolutionaries and I don’t worship them, but they did pay a huge portion of my goat (Flit card)!

[quote=Skinnyman]Talkes, I was really talking about wine grind to get a Crimson Book which requires someone’s Blood which requires a lot of wines. :D
Regarding University I really don’t want to lose ~300 levels of Connections. :D I’m not against Revolutionaries and I don’t worship them, but they did pay a huge portion of my goat (Flit card)![/quote]
Well, shrine expeditions are always good in that they can bypass the need for the card… which, given that you’ll need to draw it 41 times otherwise, can be nice. On the other hand, you only get one airaig in 8, roughly, which means the fastest possible route involves 144 actions per airag. (a more accurate number is 152- as that includes eyeless skulls and the 21/160 instead of 20/160) This means it’s much slower in terms of wines per action.

Still, if you have a stockpile, getting around needing to draw the same card 41 times can be nice.

If you don’t have enough stockpiled wine cellars for the item yet anyways, {personally, i make sure I have two before moving} velicilopede squad is one of the best. Affair of the box gives 1.25 echoes wine per action, i believe- which is not much better unless the correspondence plates matter to you.

Otherwise, sideconversions are probably a good way to speed things up. there are a lot of exceptional epa (see the repentant forger, with his up-to-4 echoes in clues cards) card-based sources of cryptic clues, and even after you go through the trouble of upcrafting it’s still worth doing.
edited by Grenem on 9/19/2016

Surely the decent thing would have been to credit Mr. Dodgson?

[quote=Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook]O Why do you wither and wamble?
Why do you drumble and drove?
For 'tis the Monday of questions
And here are the answers I plove.

(Weekly questions; traditional.)[/quote]

Nah, I did the explicit Jabberwocky parody like two months ago. This is just general nonsense.

[quote=Grenem]snip
Otherwise, sideconversions are probably a good way to speed things up. there are a lot of exceptional epa (see the repentant forger, with his up-to-4 echoes in clues cards) card-based sources of cryptic clues, and even after you go through the trouble of upcrafting it’s still worth doing.[/quote]
Upcrafting CCs into ToT!! followed by Bottle of Strangling Willow Absinthe conversion?
I’ll prefer to stick to Velocipede in this case as my 36k CC are reserved to check the Rare Success chance from A bag of low quality diamonds.
Didn’t sell CCs nor Airag for Goat, but I only have 7 bottles atm; decided pretty late that I’ll try for a Crimson Book this year!
EDIT: And, as usual, thanks, Grenem!
edited by Skinnyman on 9/19/2016

Relatedly, how essential are Tears of the Bazaar for Sackmas? I only have one, do I need to have more in order to get the most out of it? (I’ve never done Sackmas before so I have no idea how it works, but I know the two options on Tears of the Bazaar are both Sackmas-related.)

The only real use for tears is to improve your noman, something you should only do when you run out of things to do on sacksmass anyways, other than that the option to get taste of lacre isn’t really worth it so you should just ignore it.
edited by The Master on 9/19/2016

Got it, thanks.

[quote=Skinnyman][quote=Grenem]snip
Otherwise, sideconversions are probably a good way to speed things up. there are a lot of exceptional epa (see the repentant forger, with his up-to-4 echoes in clues cards) card-based sources of cryptic clues, and even after you go through the trouble of upcrafting it’s still worth doing.[/quote]
Upcrafting CCs into ToT!! followed by Bottle of Strangling Willow Absinthe conversion?
I’ll prefer to stick to Velocipede in this case as my 36k CC are reserved to check the Rare Success chance from A bag of low quality diamonds.
Didn’t sell CCs nor Airag for Goat, but I only have 7 bottles atm; decided pretty late that I’ll try for a Crimson Book this year!
EDIT: And, as usual, thanks, Grenem!
edited by Skinnyman on 9/19/2016[/quote]
Yes, as well as any other useless 50+ half-echo item stockpiles. I don’t think they’re all faster than just grinding wine, but many would be.

Alternatively, if you’re not in a rush, when snow falls in december, you could stockpile night-whispers and storm threnodies, and use the urchins to get pails of lacre, and the ToL in the nadir to get a few tears that way. It’s quite expensive, but it’s a nice shortcut, if you have a handful of the requisite items. I know I managed to get at least 5 such vials before christmas. Snow doesn’t melt until late january, practically febuary. Of course, that only would work if the club doesn’t show up this year until post-christmas, in which case we wouldn’t have seen them this year! In other words, it’s only a viable plan if you are fine with waiting another year, or assume the devs would be so cruel as to not have the story appear at all this year- {at which point getting it for next year starts to sound fishy too!}
edited by Grenem on 9/20/2016

If it helps, I’ve converted 272,000 CC into diamonds (1360 conversions) and got the rare success 73 times, which is 5.37%.

[quote=Grenem]
Alternatively, if you’re not in a rush, when snow falls in december, you could stockpile night-whispers and storm threnodies, and use the urchins to get pails of lacre, and the ToL in the nadir to get a few tears that way…[/quote]
Unfortunately, I accidentally sold the 11 Night Whispers I kept for this! Meh, I’ll try to get a Noman tattoo In 2018. Anyhow, thanks for the info!

Uh, wow! You did pilled them up, dov! Thanks for the info, but I think you’ve done this quite some time ago! I want to see if anything changed as, for example, the Rare Success on Heists.

Cheers!

Uh, wow! You did pilled them up, dov! Thanks for the info, but I think you’ve done this quite some time ago! I want to see if anything changed as, for example, the Rare Success on Heists.[/quote]
The vast majority of these conversions were done last year, in my final push to the Cider.

I have a character who is strongly opposed to theft, but she really needs few Searing Enigmas. Is there a decent way to grind these by other means? Both upconverting and doing Fidgeting Writer require Tales of Terror and I don’t want to steal them if there is any other way.
I know about The end of battles, but I almost never draw it on that character.

[quote=Valiant]I have a character who is strongly opposed to theft, but she really needs few Searing Enigmas. Is there a decent way to grind these by other means? Both upconverting and doing Fidgeting Writer require Tales of Terror and I don’t want to steal them if there is any other way.
I know about The end of battles, but I almost never draw it on that character.[/quote]

These are not grinds; they aren’t reliable. But they are some sources of Searing Engimas

• Shrine of the Blue Heaven
  • Rare (very rare?) success in looking down the well at Hunter’s Keep
  • Mourning Candle upconvert rare success

Your most reliable source may be to convert a trade secret for 10 actions.

[quote=Parelle]
These are not grinds; they aren’t reliable. But they are some sources of Searing Engimas

• Shrine of the Blue Heaven
  • Rare (very rare?) success in looking down the well at Hunter’s Keep
  • Mourning Candle upconvert rare success

Your most reliable source may be to convert a trade secret for 10 actions.[/quote]

Thank you, it’s much more than I hoped for! And I totally forgot about trade secrets.

If you seek, 77 appaling secrets will give a one-in-five chance of granting you an enigma, but if you already have any there’s also a chance of losing one on failure to gain one. still, if you seek it’s a good way to get one.

What is the best way to get expedition supplies?