Weekly Questions, Beginning 17/10/2016

You know the drill, folks. Quick questions, quick answers, this is the place for them!

I’m a POSI with an unaltered Shadowy of 93, and Suspicion is giving me a hard time. What are the most efficient methods of reducing it?

Social requests for suspicion help. Or, alternatively, Ablution bought from the bazaar.

Which short story will give me the best MW per action?

I’ve always used Opportunism in Spite – Confound the Constables. It’s airs dependent, you want the lower range, around one to twenty-ish. If you keep track of Airs of London, you can head over there when appropriate if you’re not interested in the other rewards (weasels!) I tend to have the airs in my profile for this and other storylets.

Seconding Opportunism in Spite: Confound the Constables. The first option reduces Suspicion by 3 and gives you a few pence of goods, while the second reduces suspicion by 4. The social action also reduces by 4, but it increases the other person’s suspicion by 1, and it is likely you will have to reciprocate.

The downside is having to watch your Airs to see when it’s available (1-25 is the range). The basic connection buying actions on many faction cards cycle Airs, as does any Unfinished Business action. It’s not worth it if you have to cycle your Airs specifically to get the cure, but if you pay attention while doing Air-changing actions you were going to do anyway, it can be quite useful.

I like to think that there is no such thing as a stupid question…I hope you guys can agree with me about that.

I’ve seen posts at times in the forums that have a light green background, though for the life of me I can’t detect the pattern of why they would be highlighted specifically. It’s purely curiosity but it’s been driving me crazy. Could someone enlighten me as to the reason, please?

The original poster of the thread can mark posts as “best answer”, which turns them light green. Its not really the best function.

Thank you! I was going crazy trying to figure it out!

Short story? Referring to an Empress Court Work or Writer’s Desk?

Writer’s desk, sadly I have been exiled from the court.

P.S. You can’t write short stories at court, just novels.

I would like to ask two things, as a new player:

1. How to reduce nightmares?
  2. How to start an alternative character? I am around 30 in my stats, but I was just hopping around, so I would rather take things a bit more slowly and cautiously, yet I do not see an option to start another char.

[quote=BomiBoogie]I would like to ask two things, as a new player:

1. How to reduce nightmares?
  2. How to start an alternative character? I am around 30 in my stats, but I was just hopping around, so I would rather take things a bit more slowly and cautiously, yet I do not see an option to start another char.[/quote]

Hi,
There are various ways to reduce nightmares. You should have an option in your lodgings (big eye image), where you can ask other players for help. (you can find other players either here or on your play screen top right). Or you can dive straight into addiction and buy laudanum from the bazaar.
You start a second character in the same way as you started the first – on the sign-in screen with a different email address and different (version of your ) name (I believe…)

I’m getting back into the game after spending literally three years away (if my journals are any indication), so I feel like a newbie even though my stats wouldn’t indicate that.

Is there a way to get the Overgoat other than just grinding the cash for it?

[quote=Elanor de Momerie]I’m getting back into the game after spending literally three years away (if my journals are any indication), so I feel like a newbie even though my stats wouldn’t indicate that.

Is there a way to get the Overgoat other than just grinding the cash for it?[/quote]

There’s no way I’m aware of besides grinding the cash.

[quote=Elanor de Momerie]I’m getting back into the game after spending literally three years away (if my journals are any indication), so I feel like a newbie even though my stats wouldn’t indicate that.

Is there a way to get the Overgoat other than just grinding the cash for it?[/quote]

Wait for a charity auction, buy the cider, sell the cider, buy a goat or two or four (X)
Click the GO button many times (✓)

At the University, is anybody else seeing a new lock-out on the storylet that opens with Rubbery renown? The lock-out is on the choice inside the storylet, not the storylet itself (which still requires no Rubbery Bellringers).

“Unlocked this by having no Rubbery Campanologists.”

Ooh, a chance to upgrade the rubbery?

On the off-chance this is related to Hallowmas, I’ve decided to spend the weekend in Flute street in order to grind the last 2 renown by Monday.

Hey, FBG, are your servers doing fine? Taking into account that massive DDoS around western sites