Weekly Questions, Beginning 17/04/2017

It’s one of the few days that begins with a vowel - time to share knowledge! If you’ve got short and sweet questions about Fallen London or vowels, ask 'em here.

It has nothing to do with FL, but how does today start with a vowel? Last time I checked, Monday starts with a consonant.

Hey all, coming back from a long hiatus. What is the current state of the &quotambitions&quot? (Specifically nemesis)

A quick search on the forum reveals nothing.

EDIT: also; what seasons/exceptional stories have come out while I have been gone? I am interested in catching up but don’t want to play them in the wrong order.
edited by Hypersomnus on 4/17/2017

Monday starts with an L in most of the languages I know. But I guess “April 17th” begins with a vowel? Or “it” begins with a vowel?

My real question is whether “Wednesday” begins with a vowel, and how do you know?

Technically, there is a religious holiday today called “Easter Monday.” It seems a bit of a loophole to me, but there you go.

Wednesday begins with a consonant. W is a consonant in English (although not all languages). Y is the ambiguous letter.

Ambitions have not been updated since 2014 or 2015. The Fate page will list the Exception Stories you may have missed, in chronological order, and if you mouseover they will tell you the release date. They do not have an order, so you can play them however you want. However, they are grouped into triplets called “Seasons,” which have become more cohesive over time. The Season of Wrecks, which contains the three most recent stories available for purchase, was the first to use the new standard of having an over-arching plot and a hub storylet.

That is the basis of my rather feeble jape, yes. Though in my timezone it’s actually Tuesday, so I’m entirely cheating.

Are there alternative ways to increase Fascinating for Making Your Name: Engage in a Courtly Romance?

Is there a way to lose exactly one Favor: Docks or increase Renown: Docks without spending more than one Favor?
I want to begun expeditioning into the Forgotten Quarter, but unable to convert favors into supplies as I have four Renown while having seven favors.

Re: Fascinating
During the Feast of the Rose you can get fascinating easy and efficiently. All the other outside of the court options are pretty awful though.

Re: Docks stuff:
If you’ve got a conflict card in your hand I’d suggest just using that. You can get lots of favors back at the carnival, which will boost your renown as well.

I want to know if there is any progress on Favours: Constables.

How can I find the name of my newspaper? I’ve searched the profile but can’t find it.

They haven’t announced anything with the constables.

You can find your newspapers name by tapping on it (mobile). Or mousing over it (computer)

It’s under &quotAffiliation&quot on the &quotExpanded&quot section of the character sheet (that is to say you have to click on &quotExpanded&quot to see it). If no name is listed then I guess you didn’t give it a name. On mine it says the name (&quotThe Hampton Wick Admonisher…&quot), with &quotNewspaper&quot in brackets behind it.
edited by Plynkes on 4/18/2017

[quote=Srebro]
Is there a way to lose exactly one Favor: Docks or increase Renown: Docks without spending more than one Favor?
I want to begun expeditioning into the Forgotten Quarter, but unable to convert favors into supplies as I have four Renown while having seven favors.[/quote]
I had the very same problem at one point. Wolfstack Docks is what you need. The Calling Favours at the Wolfstack Docks storylet exchanges exactly one favour for a pile of glim.

I think it has been stated somewhere by somebody, but I can’t remember and I can’t find it, so I’m going to ask:

Do we know which faction(s) are next on the list to be converted from Connected to Favours/Renown?

I’ve got a couple questions of my own, too.
First, is there anything like a marriage agency anywhere on the forum? Marrying another player looks like the best option from the stats’ point of view (except for the Boneless Consort, who is… controversive), but marrying my own alt just seems lame from the roleplaying point of view.
Second, has anyone ever tried making a Fallen London LARP? Not that I would be able to participate even if such things do happen, but… just being curious.

[quote=Plynkes]I think it has been stated somewhere by somebody, but I can’t remember and I can’t find it, so I’m going to ask:

Do we know which faction(s) are next on the list to be converted from Connected to Favours/Renown?[/quote]

Constables, then hell.

[quote=Plynkes]It’s under &quotAffiliation&quot on the &quotExpanded&quot section of the character sheet (that is to say you have to click on &quotExpanded&quot to see it). If no name is listed then I guess you didn’t give it a name. On mine it says the name (&quotThe Hampton Wick Admonisher…&quot), with &quotNewspaper&quot in brackets behind it.
edited by Plynkes on 4/18/2017[/quote]

Thank you. Had a look and it is listed as ‘newspaper’ so maybe I didn’t name it but I’m pretty sure I did and the doubt street storylet shows an option to change the name.

The app is doing all sorts of odd things. I had to get FL married in the browser as it refused to recognise the completion of the Bazaar side street storylet.

Other than waiting for the “Alms…” opportunity card what is the best way to increase Church connected so I can get God’s Editors storylet?

[quote=Aronia]I’ve got a couple questions of my own, too.
First, is there anything like a marriage agency anywhere on the forum? Marrying another player looks like the best option from the stats’ point of view (except for the Boneless Consort, who is… controversive), but marrying my own alt just seems lame from the roleplaying point of view.
Second, has anyone ever tried making a Fallen London LARP? Not that I would be able to participate even if such things do happen, but… just being curious.[/quote]

For your first question, there’s this Singles Night thread from not too far back. It may be more about dating, but it’s a place to start.

Now, in some cultures it’s traditional to have a go-between (usually an older woman) handle negotiations between prospective couples. That could be a fun task for an assertive matron PC who wanted to help shy young PCs. ::Fights off urge to immediately go make an assertive matron alt::

The conflict card between Church and Hell will give you 30 CP of Connected: The Church (at the expense of 15 CP of Connected: Hell).

But what exactly do you mean by getting &quotGod’s Editors storylet&quot?

If you mean the card Making the Good Book Better and the option A donation to Saint Cyriac’s Illuminated College in it, then this only requires 20 Connected: The Church, and you can raise it this much without relying on cards:

• Raise it up to 10 in the Carnival’s Big Top.[/li][li]Raise it up to 20 by using a Tiny Jewelled Reliquary (you can buy this for 40 echoes at the Bazaar and sell it back when you’re done for 35 echoes).