Weekly Questions, Beginning 16/3/2016

Here’s this week’s short questions thread - anything short and snappy you’ve been seeking an answer to, this is the place to ask it!

What is Mr Eaten’s name? I feel like I’ve been seeking an answer to that question for literal ages.

If Fallen London were a dystopian cyberpunk setting, would we be asking “What is Citizen E-10’s name?”

No, we would not. Failbetter is better than that. Their teapot routine leaves me in stiches every time i read it! (using the boxed cat card to dispose of scandal).

[quote=]Boast about your wounds in a dockside tavern’
…from a tiger. That one was from the Eater-of-Chains, but he came off the worse…’[/quote]This action used to reward Connected: Docks … was this intentionally removed? (If so, why?)

edit: Never mind, answered my own question with a bit of sleuthing. Unfortunately it appears that grinding supplies for expeditions has become much more difficult…
edited by Gunu on 3/17/2016

A dagger, a candle, a heart, a honey-drop, a hat, a bat… and what’s on the face/s, I don’t know.

Once you get to Favours = 3, stay there and wait for the conflict card Urchin vs. Docks.
Choose Docks and gain 3 Favours. Since the conflict card will only appear when having Docks favours = 3 or 4, go and immediately spend the 3 favours gained to buy the expedition creates, gaining you 12 (!) creates. Keep staying with Favours = 3 and wait for that conflict card again.
You can max your expedition creates from 0 to 100 in a week if you have enough rusty gold & urchins connection to spend.

Faster than the old methods (well, not FASTER than buying with secrets or keep raising Docks connection with the Pewter Tank, an option not available today. But much CHEAPER echo and action wise). I find myself able to do more expeditions with the new system than the old.

Perhaps you want to consider a connection pet: Taciturn Mynah which gives a favour on opportunity card.
edited by Gonen on 3/17/2016

My apologies, I had a number of second thoughts considering the initial subject of my question about the Devilbone Dice, and eventually I decided to do a bit more research and deleted the post altogether.

For clarity sake, the answer is for what’s depicted on the unseen faces of the Devilbone Dice.
edited by Talkes on 3/17/2016

No big! My reply sounded suitably ominous out of context. It’s a good question, and I’d like to know the answer too!

New forum game: set up Tanah-Chook to sound like the Riddler, then delete your post.

Are there any things I should avoid doing, before I do something else first? I don’t want to miss story/item opportunities or get locked out of anything.

Among those, anything I should do before becoming a POSI?

Related question, are there any permanent bad consequences from letting my menaces get to 8? I let my nightmares reach 8 once and spent some time in parabola, but eventually returned none the worse for wear. Do the other menaces have long term consequences?

The main places you can get locked out of are the University and the Court. Get what you can out of them before advancing those storylines.

I hear prison can have long-term consequences for POSI’s, but I think the others are fine.

[quote=Harlocke]Are there any things I should avoid doing, before I do something else first? I don’t want to miss story/item opportunities or get locked out of anything.

Related question, are there any permanent bad consequences from letting my menaces get to 8? I let my nightmares reach 8 once and spent some time in parabola, but eventually returned none the worse for wear. Do the other menaces have long term consequences?[/quote]I can’t think of anything that gets locked just by becoming a PoSI. If you’re worried about missing content, I would say just take a careful look around before advancing any &quotMaking your name&quot qualities or advancing the University/Court storylines.

If your criminal record gets too high from being sent to prison, Ablution Solutions stop working, and the penalties you face for going back to prison steadily get worse. From what I understand, there’s no direct consequence from visiting the silent river multiple times, but if you keep playing chess against the boatman to get out, it steadily becomes harder until it is no longer an efficient means of escaping the menace area. Note also that every time you visit and escape one of the Nightmares areas, some of your Dream qualities get reduced, which isn’t a permanent setback, but can still take a while to recover from. Visiting the Tomb-Colonies is only problematic if you’re trying to be very Hedonistic and very Austere at the same time.

[quote=Harlocke]Are there any things I should avoid doing, before I do something else first? I don’t want to miss story/item opportunities or get locked out of anything.

Related question, are there any permanent bad consequences from letting my menaces get to 8? I let my nightmares reach 8 once and spent some time in parabola, but eventually returned none the worse for wear. Do the other menaces have long term consequences?[/quote]
In order: Nightmares cost dream points, unless you have one or more memories of light in your inventory, and as long as you leave from the royal beth (which is where you go if you enter with no memories of light, or under a certain storylet in the mirror marshes). This i inconvenient, but not terrible, unless you’re really attached to dreams, or you have a dream below level 3.

Prison costs different things. I’m trying to build up my record, and i haven’t lost notability, echoes, rostygold, or anything except a suspicion boost and a boost to my criminal record yet. However, it is known that it eventually will take minor items and echoes both, which’ll be a bit of a bother, as well as, eventually, notability- something somewhat useful, if not the power of gods. (if you fear going to prison, and fear suspicion as a result, send it to me! it benefits you to get rid of suspicion, benefits me by increasing mine, and has more cp loss per action than most alternatives)

If you care about quirks, and are trying to raise both hedonist and austere to 12 (why do you torture yourself so? why!!!) then getting sent to the tomb colonies will halve one. so if you’re doing that… don’t.

Death will increase the boatman’s opponent if you play chess with him, making it harder to win. As victory decreases wounds reliably, and defeat increases them reliably, this can become an issue. More so considering all other options have costs- (always have 1 lucky weasel at this point in the game, 40 pence for a significant wounds reduction is an awesome idea, though all are lost for the action)- or are luck based, or card based. You’ll always get out either way- but this will make it faster. on the other hand, it only matters if you make a habit of dying, and the only sign of how often you die is the boatman’s opponent.

If you use drugs to reduce menaces… well, drugs in a loose sense- use them before you become POSI, as they get weaker afterwards. Nothing else- though you might want to wait to enter the notability game until all the slots on your second inventory are filled, (found by clicking the color image behind your portrait), well… except home comfort, as the non-fate, non-profession ones are utterly worthless, or so close as to count anyways. Upgrading your profession is nice, but only do it when you don’t have to pay echoes to achieve it- as it’s only a 10 echoes a week difference, and a tiny stat boost of your profession gear. Not a big deal, at this point.

If you want a full list of what the cheapest way to fill the slots are, PM me.

I used up the first clue access code for the ambition we don’t talk about long ago and I can’t use it again to see the text, can someone pm me the text for the access code that even the wiki mentions(mentioning the fact that even the wiki showed it so that someone doesn’t get the wrong text!).

EDIT:got it.
edited by The Master on 3/19/2016

This morning, I was locked out of FL. After half a dozen careful and correct attempts to log in, I had to request a password re-set, Anyone else with this issue? Is it a known problem?

Something I’ve been looking around for an answer for, and haven’t found, is Ambition: Light Fingers going to get updated at any point in the near future? It’s been almost a year and a half since &quotAn Ambitious Update&quot and I’m sure I’m not the only one starting to feel a little left behind… (Unless I totally missed something and I could have been playing it this whole time.)
edited by Jaqueline_Maxwell on 3/20/2016

Yep, Light Fingers is about due an update! Not sure when, but hopefully we’ll see it soon.

What are the requirements for starting the Dreams of Chess storyline?

There aren’t any requirements, but the cards are somewhat rare.