Weekly Questions, Beginning 15/08/2016

I have a question about quirks and respect, dread, and bizarre. I’m a new player and so I’m not really clear on what any of these mean. So far I’ve focused on ruthless and gotten it up to 8. I have items that give me the respect bizarre and dreaded qualities but I have absolutely no idea on their use. Should I go for items with high stat increases or is it worth getting these special qualities?

If you’ve just started I wouldn’t worry about these stats at all. Your quirks will go up and down depending on how you behave. The come up occasionally but aren’t usually that important. Bizarre, Dreaded, and Respectable (BDR) aren’t relevant until you become a Person of Some Importance. At that point, they become extremely useful for boosting Notability (another POSI thing) but, like quirks, have relatively few checks that rely on them.

I have, with considerable ado, ground my way through the Aunt storyline to find I can’t place her with a Master because I lack the connection (things went sour after the Mr Pages storyline). Any easy way of getting hold of one point, or am I just going to have to cough up the honey next time Mr Wines comes round?

Quirks are unusually in demand right now for the festival: the fishing challenges to increase Running Battle depend on passing a Quirk check (6 or greater is a 100% pass rate). However there are very very few other checks in the entire game which use them.

You gain and lose quirks by making choices on storylets: often they’re in opposition to each other. You’ll also see some choices which require a Quirk unlock. They’re are more for story purposes as they give a shape to your character (Ruthless but not Steadfast? And the ever popular Hedonist and Austere combo).

Levels run from 0-15 using CP increases (i.e. It’s 1 point for level 1, 2 points to go from 1 to 2) although in practice getting any Quirk above 10 is fairly difficult and may involve seasonal or Fate locked stories. Players who’ve been playing for over 2 years may have Quirks higher left over from when the cap to increases didn’t exist.

BDR is used mostly as a POSI (person of some importance: achieved once all four of your main stats hit 100 plus some additional requirements) mechanic to gain Notablity: the higher your combined Bizarre + Dreaded + Respectable score the easier it is to become more notable. With the one notable exception of a seasonal event, your score is determined by your equipment. Checks involving BDR are immensely rare and you will have many opportunities to gain equipment and associations which add BDR once you’re a POSI. It’s not something you need to pursue now at all.
edited by Parelle on 8/19/2016

There’s a Fate locked MW option on the Steamer which grants a point. And of course there’s the old fashioned Proscribed Materials card.

There’s a Fate locked MW option on the Steamer which grants a point. And of course there’s the old fashioned Proscribed Materials card.[/quote]
That option, besides being Fate locked, requires quite a few POSI items, if I am not wrong. So, if you go with that, expect some grinding. You’ll also need Dark Dewed Cherry, which is probably the only time I saw that as requirement

In which case I’ll just do the revels. A steamer sounds like even more trouble.

I think this is the most important question I’ve ever asked on the forums. I’m saving up for Hesperidean Cider like everyone else, but I’ve just discovered that I could buy 7000 more Ridiculous Hats in honor of our late friend NiteBrite. Should I do it?

7000? No, definitely not.

7777!!! Definitely!!!

(seriously, so many noes Sir Joseph)

[quote=absimiliard]7000? No, definitely not.

7777!!! Definitely!!!

(seriously, so many noes Sir Joseph)[/quote]
Way ahead of you. I already bought 770 to add to my previous 7. (I’m legitimately curious if I should or if it’s just a dumb idea. Or both.)

[quote=Sir Joseph Marlen]
Way ahead of you. I already bought 770 to add to my previous 7. (I’m legitimately curious if I should or if it’s just a dumb idea. Or both.)[/quote]

Oh, both of course. But how could it be otherwise?

(it’s probably a bad idea to actually do, but a fun one to think about nonetheless)

[quote=absimiliard][quote=Sir Joseph Marlen]
Way ahead of you. I already bought 770 to add to my previous 7. (I’m legitimately curious if I should or if it’s just a dumb idea. Or both.)[/quote]

Oh, both of course. But how could it be otherwise?

(it’s probably a bad idea to actually do, but a fun one to think about nonetheless)[/quote]
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Sir~Joseph~Marlen Don’t let your dreams be dreams (I’m sorry).

[quote=Sir Joseph Marlen]
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Sir~Joseph~Marlen Don’t let your dreams be dreams (I’m sorry).[/quote]

You are Delicious Sir Joseph. (not that you don’t know that already)

Joseph, I have to ask, where’d you get the Touch of the Upstairs? Is that from Cut With Moonlight?

Yeah, it is! From buying and partaking of your own box of sunlight. Very illegal.

Yeah, it is! From buying and partaking of your own box of sunlight. Very illegal.[/quote]
Yep! I got bored one day and bought a bunch of boxes. Now my eyes hurt and I keep seeing into other worlds.

so i’ve got a slight problem: the &quotsurface ties: the assailant&quot card appeared in my hand and i decided to leave it alone for the time being, not wanting to make a storyline choice without thinking about it first. i continued playing as usual and eventually logged out. when i logged back in later, the card had disappeared from my hand. i couldn’t have gotten rid of it accidentally because it was non-discardable, and i’m sure i didn’t click on anything in its storylet other than the &quotperhaps not&quot button, so where did it go? will i get it back? does it matter very much in the long run?

You’d lose it if your dangerous dipped below 12, which is very possible if you have gear and you changed it.

It’ll be back. Don’t worry.

[quote=Teaspoon]You’d lose it if your dangerous dipped below 12, which is very possible if you have gear and you changed it.

It’ll be back. Don’t worry.[/quote]
oh thanks!

I was wondering if it’s ok for me to get my main expelled from court. Her stats range between 108 and 143, she has acquired the Memento of Passion, and she already staged Tristam Bagley’s opera (her ambition is Heart’s Desire). Is there anything else she should do before moving on to the Foreign Office?