Weekly Questions, Beginning 12/12/2016

We wish you to ask some questions,
And we’ll answer them, dear!

Anyone else missing their lodgings button from the travel window?

That’s because you’re SNOWBOUND.

Clear the snow from your path to regain access to your lodgings.

Is there a cap when using the Semiotic Monocle to raise ToL?

Not really a question, just a comment. This is my third Christmas in Fallen London, and I still feel kind of overwhelmed by the process of converting pails to ToL and whatnot. I mean, I love this season and the Advent calendar, but just at the beginning, it’s all pretty overwhelming.

Yes. This will give you 3 points of Taste of Lacre, but only if your ToL was already less than 6.

That is, use the monocle when your ToL is 5, get 8. Use it when ToL is 6, get no increase.

Is there a permanent way of opting out of Seeking Mr Eaten’s Name? I keep getting Unaccountably Peckish from cards, and I’ve already opted out. Also, why do all my neglected alts have so many black bordered cards to deal with? Does everyone in the Neath develop the desire to go North if they’re left to themselves?

There was a glitch where UP increased with time the healer, but it should be fixed now.

And there is not a way to permanently leave SMEN.

Yes. This will give you 3 points of Taste of Lacre, but only if your ToL was already less than 6.

That is, use the monocle when your ToL is 5, get 8. Use it when ToL is 6, get no increase.[/quote]

Is there a way to increase it beyond 8?

You can leave SMEN easily enough (either though the Alphabet of Scars card or via the Bad End item in your inventory).

However, this won’t help you - Unaccountably Peckish, though semi-related to SMEN, is a separate quality (you can get it without Seeking). And each Time the Healer will increase it by one, if you already have some (and, as noted by suinicide, there was a bug a few weeks ago which gave one point of UP to all).

The way to get rid of these black cards is to get rid of Unaccountably Peckish (not of Seeking!). The most efficient way is to take some refreshments in the first coil of the Labyrinth of Tigers. Besides that, all the black UP cards have an option which reduces UP. Just be careful - for some of these cards this option is costly (in items, menaces and/or stats), while being benign in others. Check the wiki which option is best for which card.

Once your UP is down to 0 you won’t see these cards again.

edited by dov on 12/12/2016

[quote=suinicide]
And there is not a way to permanently leave SMEN.[/quote]

Rats, OK. Thanks :smiley: appropriate, I guess, but annoying.

Do you have to be an end stage player to Seek and find? I might send one of my poor alts off, but they’re all very low level…

Thanks Dov :smiley: so I guess my question should be is there any way to permanently avoid Unaccountably Peckish, and the answer is very likely to be no, it’s an occupational hazard of the Neath now. Ah well.

[quote=Silvan Derre][quote=dov]Yes. This will give you 3 points of Taste of Lacre, but only if your ToL was already less than 6.

That is, use the monocle when your ToL is 5, get 8. Use it when ToL is 6, get no increase.[/quote]

Is there a way to increase it beyond 8?[/quote]

Using Pail of Snow, only by trying to Feed it to a Wild Boar (requires a Dreadful Surmise, though it won’t consume it!).
You can also use Tears of the Bazaar to raise ToL up to 11 (at the risk of losing the Tears!)

But there should be more sources of ToL coming - the 12 days of Mr Sacks should provide a couple of points (for the right choices), and maybe the Advent calendar will do the same…

[quote=Kalix][quote=suinicide]
And there is not a way to permanently leave SMEN.[/quote]

Rats, OK. Thanks :smiley: appropriate, I guess, but annoying.

Do you have to be an end stage player to Seek and find? I might send one of my poor alts off, but they’re all very low level…[/quote]

Depends on how fast you want to do it. One level of SMEN is &quotfree&quot per week. Which can get you almost to winking isle. Add some uncanny incumbuleums and you should be able to head to winking isle and then onwards to north.

The only other problem would be saint arthur’s candle. Check the wiki to see if you think you can afford it.

Edit: but you do need modified watchful at 200, forgot about that.

Double edit: I was exploring the nadir and trying to write a classic short story before becoming a PoSI, so it seems my idea of endgame content is a bit off. Oops.
edited by suinicide on 12/12/2016
edited by suinicide on 12/12/2016

You can start Seeking at any level. And it’s a long long road. To reach the end, you’ll need to have your own ship (thus, POSI), to have modified Watchful 200, and to have access to the cave of the Nadir. You’ll also need either an Overgoat, or a classical Short Story (or a Noman) to sacrifice.

I don’t thing there are any other end-game level of requirements.

Don’t think this counts as breaching the no fate-locked spoilers’ rule; Is there a risk of getting repeats with the Mr Sacks lucky dip?

Absolutely a risk. The RNG took a dislike to me this morning and I alternated between two options for most of the fate I put aside for this. (I did get one of the things I wanted in the end, so I’m happy)

If you’re curious, come the the fallen london IRC, we have a document there that shows the rewards. (The fate locked warning is more about story details, material rewards are usually fine)

I have the option of selling my soul for a decent amount of items. While I have more than enough night-whispers and storm-threnodies to buy lacre, (as well as a few bottles of Tears), I remembered that the Sanctum requires one to be soulless.

To that end: Is it worth it?

How long do FATE purchases usually take to get delivered? I bought 5 bucks worth almost an hour ago but haven’t received it yet.

Should appear instantly, before you close the pay window. (But as I mentioned elsewhere, I don’t use paypal). It’s the usual support address: support@failbettergames.com