Weekly Questions, Beginning 12/09/2016.

There is no way to get locked out of that card.

Yeah, I thought so…still, doesn’t hurt to ask. RNG is merciless…

If you have seven points of Notability to burn, you could just get a Favorable Circumstance and grab the Presumptuous Opportunity that way.

Note that this is extremely expensive and should only be used if you are very desperate, spending 7 notability like that isn’t a joke.

Is there a good place to grind dangerous at higher levels?

Doing social actions to get second chances and then converting 5 second chances(in your lodging) to stat points is the best.

It’s a bit slow once you hit &quotstraightforward&quot, but you can always use the dangerous options in the War of Assassins in exchange for Collections of Curiosities which you’ll turn in over time. It’s card-dependent, but quite profitable if you’re not fussed that they’ll take ages to turn in.

Note that this is extremely expensive and should only be used if you are very desperate, spending 7 notability like that isn’t a joke.[/quote]
Yeah, I am not a fan of Notability grind. I will be patient. Might as well get more Airag

Meh, once you have your profession notability seems a lot less valuable to me. Just spent 7 on favorable circumstances, soon as I’m back to 8 I’ll consider it again. The early levels are just so damn cheap. 1-8 just flies by. Thinking of a good use for favorable circumstances is more challenging for me.

Note that this is extremely expensive and should only be used if you are very desperate, spending 7 notability like that isn’t a joke.[/quote]

If you’re holding on to high notability sure. If you’re closer to the bottom, it’s not too bad if your BDR’s decent.

The point is there’s an absolute certain way to get that card which is under your control, rather than just waiting on the RNG.

If you’re holding on to high notability sure. If you’re closer to the bottom, it’s not too bad if your BDR’s decent.

The point is there’s an absolute certain way to get that card which is under your control, rather than just waiting on the RNG.[/quote]
Even for me, with the highest fate free BDR- (23- 25 if you have the 1 fate for an ubergoat) - it’s 2 free notability (4 actions), then lv. 3 (3 MW), lv.7(22 MW), lv. 11 (56 MW), lv. 15 (105 MW), and finally lv. 19 (169 MW). While trivial in comparison to getting it with inferior BDR, most MW sources are expensive, card based, one-MW-per-action, or capped.

It’s probably not a thousand echo project, but that’s 355 cp MW per force-draw. The private suppers give no more than 14, the parties give 20 or 40, and nearly anything that can be ground through brute force alone is <2 cp an action. In other words, this is non-trivial, but not like, 1k echoes either.

It’s non-trivial to boost your notability levels quickly, but yes, it’s not that expensive to get them high. I mean, it’s hardly trivial either, but…
edited by Grenem on 9/17/2016

[quote=Grenem]
It’s non-trivial to boost your notability levels quickly, but yes, it’s not that expensive to get them high. I mean, it’s hardly trivial either, but…
edited by Grenem on 9/17/2016[/quote]

It’s non-trivial, sure. But it’s just a few weeks to get from 1 to 8 notability, without even working hard.

So for me the questions really are:
Is there a use for a higher notability? (beyond getting a better shot at the surprise package)
Anything good to use favorable circumstances on? (I’m mostly getting it to find something to do with my notability)

There is (apparently) a point in Seeking where you need to have reasonably high notability. Generally, 8 Notability is enough to spend on something valuable and still have a point left.
Favourable circumstances are good for getting unsigned message to get a profession of your choice, otherwise you should go for a presumptious opportunity to get (eventually) tears of bazaar or a vial of M____r’s B___d.

Can a player sell his soul not to a devil but to his fellow Londoner spirifier?

I can’t remember any actions like that, but no idea why you would do that anyways since spirifers would just sell back to Hell anyways.
edited by The Master on 9/17/2016

Properly optimized heisting is an excellent way to passively gain MW while grinding for money. Takes some learning and setup before it beats e.g. spirifage, but it can be done.

What would be a properly optimized heist tactic?

[quote=dov]What would be a properly optimized heist tactic?[/quote]I don’t know Wiwo’s method, but my preparation is to switch to a five-card lodging, gather casing with one use of Hoodlums and one theft from a gallery (under stealing paintings for the Topsy King), select the Baseborn & Fowlingpiece heist, and buy one Inside Information. I enter the heist with my opportunity card deck half full, as your number of available opportunity card draws doubles when you enter the heist area. Inside the heist, I proceed to Burglar’s Progress 5 as efficiently as possible, using guaranteed sources from cards when possible (though I always take a chance on the stairs when they show up). If &quotA clean, well-lighted place&quot shows up, Snaffle documents if your Cat-Like Tread is still at three.

If you happen to build up 7+ progress before drawing the prize card, you can nab Mr. Baseborn’s Papers, but it’s better to get out in fewer actions going for A Sealed Archive if you can. Your number of available opportunity draws quadruples when you exit the heist, so having two or three cards in your deck when you complete the heist is ideal.

That’s essentially correct. Other fairly meaningful optimizations are allying with the Big Rat so that you can trade TRF for casing instead of using the hoodlums (basically trades 4.8E of items for 3 actions, which should be worth it for most end-game characters) as well as trying to spend multiple cards all at once before attempting to draw A Prize Achieved! which minimizes your chances of needing to spend surplus actions burning through cards once you’ve already got 5 Burglar’s progress.

Then there’s the straightforward things like investing in Intricate Kifers and having a set of gear with enough dreaded to frighten off the Burly Night-Watchman.

There’s some very small optimization to be made on the basis of which non-guaranteed cards take precedence over which others under unusual circumstances, when you should use A Moment of Safety to cycle cards more safely, when to use apalling secrets to bribe the Talkative Cat and such but it’s pretty fine details at that point.

I’ve been meaning to write up a guide, but that should do you as the Cliff’s Notes version until I overcome my sloth.

edited to add: Always wait for 3 cards waiting to be drawn before cashing in. Even though the last one only gets you 2 because of the deck cap of 10 cards, it’s still a question of waiting 10 minutes for 2 draws vs. having to wait 20 minutes for the same 2 draws outside of the heist.
edited by Wiwo on 9/18/2016

Does anyone have advice for raising Subtle past 11?