Weekly Questions, Beginning 10/06/2016

[quote=th8827][quote=MidnightVoyager]Is there some reason Rubbery renown is so goddamn hard to get in comparison to any other renown?

Like, am I missing something? I only have 7 and I’ve been trying as long as it’s been out. In comparison, I leveled up Criminals twice just today, and I have at least found favors for the tomb colonies and the docks today. More than once for the latter.[/quote]
Have you been accepting a Polite Invitation? You can get a 50% chance of getting a Rubbery Favor by greeting the Rubbery Entrepreneur at the beginning of the party, and a 100% chance of getting a Favor for helping him with silverware.
[li][/quote]
Oh holy crap, thanks, that’ll help a ton.
[/li]

Does anyone know if the bug in ‘The Seven-Day Reign’ which resulted in the choices made by the player to not properly reflect when recorded in the player’s journal has been fixed?
edited by Munk on 6/14/2016

I pushed the the repentant forger too far and now he doesn’t want to see me anymore. Is there any option to renew his acquaintance?

And what is the best method for grinding whispered hints? I don’t have a lot of echoes so I want to trade whispered hints for supplies but grinding at the Forgotten Quarters doesn’t pay very well. I’ve managed to get a Cinder but not enough supplies for Nadar. Are there better (and profitable) ways for grinding hints?
(And if I get in who should I sell the location to? The Spymaster’s reward seems to be the most profitable in terms of Echoes but is the ex-prince’s location harder to obtain than master’s blood?)

Meet him again in prison, but you need to pay Fate. That’s what I read and I wish someone else can confirm.

[quote=Inalynne]And what is the best method for grinding whispered hints? I don’t have a lot of echoes so I want to trade whispered hints for supplies but grinding at the Forgotten Quarters doesn’t pay very well. I’ve managed to get a Cinder but not enough supplies for Nadar. Are there better (and profitable) ways for grinding hints?
(And if I get in who should I sell the location to? The Spymaster’s reward seems to be the most profitable in terms of Echoes but is the ex-prince’s location harder to obtain than master’s blood?)[/quote]
Don’t rush and gather supplies via Dock Favours as it’s cheaper and more efficient, but it does take more time. Don’t rush, enjoy the game and congratulation on getting a Cinder for the entrance!
More math about expedition supplies can be found here.

Meet him again in prison, but you need to pay Fate. That’s what I read and I wish someone else can confirm.

[quote=Inalynne]And what is the best method for grinding whispered hints? I don’t have a lot of echoes so I want to trade whispered hints for supplies but grinding at the Forgotten Quarters doesn’t pay very well. I’ve managed to get a Cinder but not enough supplies for Nadar. Are there better (and profitable) ways for grinding hints?
(And if I get in who should I sell the location to? The Spymaster’s reward seems to be the most profitable in terms of Echoes but is the ex-prince’s location harder to obtain than master’s blood?)[/quote]
Don’t rush and gather supplies via Dock Favours as it’s cheaper and more efficient, but it does take more time. Don’t rush, enjoy the game and congratulation on getting a Cinder for the entrance!
More math about expedition supplies can be found here.[/quote]

Thanks for the answer! Well it’s off to prison for me then! I can confirm it for you if you need, after I find my way to the Cave of Nadir.
I currently have 5000 hints (25 supplies), 25 in stash and hopefully I can another 30-40ish within a week or two. I still need to get enough renown at the Docks to unlock the trading favors option though, it is indeed the best trade-off.

[quote=Inalynne]
Thanks for the answer! Well it’s off to prison for me then! I can confirm it for you if you need, after I find my way to the Cave of Nadir.
I currently have 5000 hints (25 supplies), 25 in stash and hopefully I can another 30-40ish within a week or two. I still need to get enough renown at the Docks to unlock the trading favors option though, it is indeed the best trade-off.[/quote]
As a big part are Echoes, you can go for Public Lectures in the FQ; success or fail you’ll gain suspicion, but a success will get you some nice reputation. Flipping cards in the Flit gives you the chance to exchange Revolutionary connections for 28.8 E. Long term, dock favours are best for expeditions, but it’s a bit impossible if you want to increase your renown and also do expeditions.
Otherwise, expeditions are small bonuses inserted in one’s regular grind.
I wish you good luck finding the cave or whatever you wish to find there, but try to have the materials required to confront your rival’s progress!

I have acquired my first ship (not proud, I took the junk steamer) and am planning to set out after TTH has been. Is there anything I should take/know/observe before setting off? Advice would be most welcome.

That unlocks with 5 renown. You can get that practically for free at the Carnival.

You’ll gain troubled waters on your journey- which sounds like a very nasty menace, but isn’t. Still, until you arive, it makes good cards vanish and worse cards appear. Depending on where you go you’ll need different requirements, but note that some qualities- including dramatic tension- will be zeroed, so make sure to cash in in advance. Certain islands have other notes: polythreme, for instance, has a storyline you might want an exceptional hat and a battered grey overcoat for rare and somewhat useful equipment.

(The exceptional hat becomes the cheapest, abiet not best, +2 BDR companion. its stats are terrible, though. the clothes colony are just a collectible with tolerable stats.)

[quote=MidnightVoyager]Is there some reason Rubbery renown is so goddamn hard to get in comparison to any other renown?

Like, am I missing something? I only have 7 and I’ve been trying as long as it’s been out. [/quote]

Unlike our other Reknown factions they don’t have an available Connected Pet. That means gaining their Favours is purely dependent on drawing their single card in London proper.

Rubbery Favours are also found in a [Fate locked location] and note for others curious that you need to be a POSI to draw A Polite Invitation. (Docks Favours are also available during Step 4(?) on a Rare success.)

So I hear some options at Iron Republic just automatically set some of your menaces to a specific value, like 3 or 6. Is there an option like that for Scandal, and if so what?

(For context, I’m at Polythreme and my scandal is at 9 because apparently London high society cares about the occasional faux pas made trying to charm Clay Men out of their silk. I’d like to avoid being kicked straight to the Tomb Colonies once I get back to London, but the menace reduction option at the end of the Iron Republic appears to be just -5 CP to all menaces, which isn’t gonna cut it. If anyone else has any suggestions on how I can get my scandal down before returning home I’m all ears.)

[quote=aegisaglow]So I hear some options at Iron Republic just automatically set some of your menaces to a specific value, like 3 or 6. Is there an option like that for Scandal, and if so what?

(For context, I’m at Polythreme and my scandal is at 9 because apparently London high society cares about the occasional faux pas made trying to charm Clay Men out of their silk. I’d like to avoid being kicked straight to the Tomb Colonies once I get back to London, but the menace reduction option at the end of the Iron Republic appears to be just -5 CP to all menaces, which isn’t gonna cut it. If anyone else has any suggestions on how I can get my scandal down before returning home I’m all ears.)[/quote]
Well, First of all- don’t fear the tomb colonies. they’re fun, and you can gain favors with tomb-colonists for the trouble, including one favor just for being sent. considering that favors can be cashed in on the vs. society for over 30 echoes for 7, this isn’t a bad deal, and the two cards that give more just sweeten it.

that said, yes, the iron republic does have those options, i don’t know where, but they are extant. Unless you’d be going anyways, it’s not worth the hassle of the trip, though- between the republic itself (for it’s not exactly profitable) and the trip to london from there (or the trip there instead of london, if you prefer), it’d probably be faster to just go to the tomb colonies and work your way out.
edited by Grenem on 6/17/2016

I love the Iron Republic. Your menaces will jump all over the place but not insanely high unless you deliberately loop for wounds while raising Austere. Also you can use the quality you get going through the Iron Republic more than once. So you can probably clear your scandal and pick up an Iron Republic Journal when you get to the end.

Anyone else have all their Plans vanish, or should I file a bug report?

My plans remain but I’m working entirely through the web UI. I think there might have been a bug fix related to this in the app recently.

You may want to take 20 zee-ztories and 4 partial maps (or 40 + 8 / 60 + 12 if you want to be extra safe). Once Troubled Waters hit 10, four &quotFury of the Unterzee&quot cards will be added to the deck. One card lets you trade the zee-ztories for -5 cp Troubled Waters, and the other does the same for partial maps. Without them, your only option is a luck challenge that resets your Approaching Journey’s End to 5 if you fail.

[quote=TheThirdPolice]

Once Troubled Waters hit 10, four &quotFury of the Unterzee&quot cards will be added to the deck. [/quote]

If you’re working for the Bishop, you’ll need Troubled Waters 10 to do a bit of monster hunting.

Grateful thanks to Third Police for the extra tips. I am on the second leg of my trip and have generally had good fortune and plain zailing.

I’ve done this a hundred times by now but I can’t find this: where is Cat Like Tred shown in your inventory/qualities?

According to the wiki, it should be under Stories?