Weekly Questions, Beginning 10/06/2016

[quote=an_ocelot][quote=Grenem]What are the best ways to get searing enigmas, why, and how many actions do you expect it to take per enigma?[/quote]They are a rare success for heists in the Flit (the Baseborn and whoever one); not sure how rare, am collecting data right now. They also appear in Expeditions and the Nadir, of course.

If you want something more repeatable–but still luck-based!–the Fidgeting Writer is generally more efficient than the University.[/quote]
More efficient in what sense? Do they offer better EpA? Better rate of actions per enigma? both? neither?

Um, is there a way in which EPA would not translate to actions per enigma?

Yes! EPA is echoes per action, but if most of them are, rather than searing enigmas, echoes in constant forms- say, the primeval hints from the fidgetting writer- and the other one gives more enigmas but less side profits, then one is better for getting enigmas and one is better for getting side profits while making enigmas, at the cost of slower enigma production.

Since the Tales of terror -> University chain gives almost solely enigmas, it might be better for getting those, but worse for getting money, for instance.
edited by Grenem on 6/12/2016

Hello I played Fallen London for a while and then stoped playing. When I came back to the game it asked me a couple of questions about my progress in the different story lines. Now for some reason I can’t publish any kind of story and my quality &quotA name signed with a flourish&quot won’t go over 1 even thought my persuasive is 77 in total.

Thanks beforehand for the answer

[quote=Jose Alejandro]Hello I played Fallen London for a while and then stoped playing. When I came back to the game it asked me a couple of questions about my progress in the different story lines. Now for some reason I can’t publish any kind of story and my quality &quotA name signed with a flourish&quot won’t go over 1 even thought my persuasive is 77 in total.

Thanks beforehand for the answer[/quote]
I believe you need to date the honey-sipping heiress or the jewel theif for a time. EDIT: apparently, the choice that makes him a nuisance is later. ignore that part.
edited by Grenem on 6/12/2016

Courting the jewel thief in Veilgarden does not result in any lasting gameplay consequences; the card to start courting him later for marriage shows up regardless of whether you courted him previously or not.

Yes! EPA is echoes per action, but if most of them are, rather than searing enigmas, echoes in constant forms- say, the primeval hints from the fidgetting writer- and the other one gives more enigmas but less side profits, then one is better for getting enigmas and one is better for getting side profits while making enigmas, at the cost of slower enigma production.

Since the Tales of terror -> University chain gives almost solely enigmas, it might be better for getting those, but worse for getting money, for instance.
edited by Grenem on 6/12/2016[/quote]Actually, wait.

The # of actions depends on whether you have to grind supplies or not; if you don’t have to grind supplies, the FW is faster action-wise, but more expensive. Sorry.
edited by an_ocelot on 6/12/2016

If I draw the Neath’s Mysteries, who can use it the best?

You. And the player you choose. For the best option of them all gives you BOTH 200 Cryptic Clues (that’s 4 echos for 1 action. 4 for you and 4 for the player you choose).
That option is A Strange Sort of Prank
edited by Gonen on 6/12/2016

What’s the least painful way to get an eyeless skull for the ave of the nadir? Drinking Bottled Oblivion strikes me as rather painful.

You can make a request for one if you don’t yet have one and are at that stage. The Bottle Oblivion method no longer works.

[quote=Funerary]What’s the least painful way to get an eyeless skull for the ave of the nadir? Drinking Bottled Oblivion strikes me as rather painful.[/quote]If it’s the Eyeless Skull to start the expedition, you can request one from a friend who already has one. Otherwise, the best way to get one is probably to &quotSee the sights&quot or &quotWander the Quarter&quot in the &quotSeeking Curios and Secrets in the Forgotten Quarter&quot storylet, either of which grant a skull on a rare success. They’re only available at certain airs, so you’ll likely need to cycle things around a bit to get them coming back up again. While you’re at it, you can boost your A Scholar of the Correspondence quality by doing the &quotLook for more evidence of the Correspondence…&quot action.

And unreliable, to boot. The least painful, assuming you can’t convince some player to give you one of theirs is either: A) hunt in the forgotten quarter (rare success on &quotSee the sights&quot and &quotWander the quarter&quot) or B) run expeditions to the shrine of deep blue heaven.

A is probably faster, but likes to give you menaces, clues, secrets, and utterly useless items, while B is slower, but gives rare items that are hard to get elsewhere (though some of them are useless too, they’re useless and hard to get, which is an improvement.)

Hm. Is there a thread for eyeless skull requests?

Yes. Here:
http://community.failbettergames.com/topic6132-eyeless-skull-woes.aspx?Page=18

After much grinding since day 1, I finally got Connected: Hell 100!

Roughly how much renown does 100 levels usually translate to?

[quote=th8827]After much grinding since day 1, I finally got Connected: Hell 100!

Roughly how much renown does 100 levels usually translate to?[/quote]
So far, there have been two approximate scales:

A) renown = (connected-21)/6 = 79/6 = ~13 (not as bad as it sounds, but not amazing.). equivalent to 21 favors to hit 7, and then 31.5 to hit 13. (would have cost 53 favors to be where you are, but one of the favors would have been used sub-optimally.) connected 100 = 52.5 favors worth of renown.

B) renown = (connected - 21)/5 = 79/5 = ~19 (also not as bad as it sounds.) equivalent to 63 favors to hit 15, and then about 17.5 used optimally to hit 19. (of course, it’s impossible to use 17.5 optimally at that point, but still worth counting by that scale): connected 100 = 80.5 favors worth of renown.

Either way, you’ll also receive 7 favors, which, should you invest them in renown, will promptly get you to the next level of renown. in short, you aren’t getting terrible value for your 3800 CP hell- either 52.5 or 80.5 favors saved, or about 1 favor every 72.4 cp, or every 47.2 cp, pricing it at around (4 pence or 6 pence per cp, assuming a favor is worth three echoes), not counting savings on aquiring renown.

Meanwhile, I’m getting, assuming the pattern holds, 357 favors in renown for 14850 cp hell, or 1 favor saved per 42 cp hell… (Though the last reward seems to be at 40, past that it’s just bragging rights, so)

The returns are kind of parabolic- the best payouts in favors saved per cp are at 8, 15 and 50, as those are where the renown per favor doubles, in exchange for harsher favor collections- 3, 5, and 7.
edited by Grenem on 6/13/2016

Is there an actual difference between Bargaining With and Freeing a certain devilish individual on a certain island in the late stages of Heart’s Desire?

Is there some reason Rubbery renown is so goddamn hard to get in comparison to any other renown?

Like, am I missing something? I only have 7 and I’ve been trying as long as it’s been out. In comparison, I leveled up Criminals twice just today, and I have at least found favors for the tomb colonies and the docks today. More than once for the latter.

[quote=MidnightVoyager]Is there some reason Rubbery renown is so goddamn hard to get in comparison to any other renown?

Like, am I missing something? I only have 7 and I’ve been trying as long as it’s been out. In comparison, I leveled up Criminals twice just today, and I have at least found favors for the tomb colonies and the docks today. More than once for the latter.[/quote]
Have you been accepting a Polite Invitation? You can get a 50% chance of getting a Rubbery Favor by greeting the Rubbery Entrepreneur at the beginning of the party, and a 100% chance of getting a Favor for helping him with silverware.
[li]