Weekly Questions, Beginning 1/5/2017

Dunno about the Orchid Grower, but they did lock most the Rendezvous cards recently, yes. You need to both not have a connected pet nor have a Clandestine Rendezvous.

Is there a good reliable way to get magnificent diamonds? My expeditions have been a bust on that front.

One of my characters just drew The Noted Orchid-Grower has a Secret. Still Standard frequency and not having any competing in a Tournament of Lilies and having Attending to the Needs of a Singular Plant at 10 (or more).

So no change there so it is probably just the RNG playing its usual games.

Not a reliable source but if you have opened the Bazaar Sidestreets and have enough Cryptic Clues you can try A Bag of Low Value Diamonds at Empire Adornments. There is a rare success that gives a magnificent diamond.
edited by reveurciel on 5/4/2017

Depending on where you’re standing we have:

1. Convert CC via Bazaar
  2. Master Jewel Thief card
  3. Thieves Caches expeditions as the chance is bigger
  4. Beating the minister from An Implausible Penance; best way to convert extra criminal favours if you care about quirks
  5. The mansion of the Elusive Countess heist
  6. Rubbery - Tomb CC and side with the rubberies
  7. Murderer professional payment

Depending on where you’re standing we have:

1. Convert CC via Bazaar
  2. Master Jewel Thief card
  3. Thieves Caches expeditions as the chance is bigger
  4. Beating the minister from An Implausible Penance; best way to convert extra criminal favours if you care about quirks
  5. The mansion of the Elusive Countess heist
  6. Rubbery - Tomb CC and side with the rubberies
  7. Murderer professional payment[/quote]

This is helpful, thank you. Some of these I haven’t even heard of! By CC do you mean a lucky dip on exchanging cryptic clues for diamonds?

By Master jewel thief, is that only available in the marriage storylet? It’s good to know that the thieves cache is better as it is a cheaper one to go for. I’ll need to work on my criminal favours, I generally discard the implausible penance card. I’m intrigued by the Elusive Countess heist.

[quote=lady ciel ]One of my characters just drew The Noted Orchid-Grower has a Secret. Still Standard frequency and not having any competing in a Tournament of Lilies and having Attending to the Needs of a Singular Plant at 10 (or more).

So no change there so it is probably just the RNG playing its usual games.

Not a reliable source but if you have opened the Bazaar Sidestreets and have enough Cryptic Clues you can try A Bag of Low Value Diamonds at Empire Adornments. There is a rare success that gives a magnificent diamond.
edited by reveurciel on 5/4/2017[/quote]

Sorry, missed this post before replying to the one after! Thanks, I’ll keep trying. I want to move on through the Nemesis story and it’s all at a standstill.

[quote=SeveredJoke]This is helpful, thank you. Some of these I haven’t even heard of! By CC do you mean a lucky dip on exchanging cryptic clues for diamonds?

By Master jewel thief, is that only available in the marriage storylet? It’s good to know that the thieves cache is better as it is a cheaper one to go for. I’ll need to work on my criminal favours, I generally discard the implausible penance card. I’m intrigued by the Elusive Countess heist.[/quote]
Sorry, I was a bit on the run, but yes, you got them right! The luck challenge at the Bazaar isn’t that bad, but does require few thousand CC in case RNG messes with you.

[quote=Skinnyman][quote=SeveredJoke]This is helpful, thank you. Some of these I haven’t even heard of! By CC do you mean a lucky dip on exchanging cryptic clues for diamonds?

By Master jewel thief, is that only available in the marriage storylet? It’s good to know that the thieves cache is better as it is a cheaper one to go for. I’ll need to work on my criminal favours, I generally discard the implausible penance card. I’m intrigued by the Elusive Countess heist.[/quote]
Sorry, I was a bit on the run, but yes, you got them right! The luck challenge at the Bazaar isn’t that bad, but does require few thousand CC in case RNG messes with you.[/quote]

The RNG hates me at the moment. I had a 75% success chance on a grind for proscribed material starting with 0 wounds and I ended up dead!

[quote=SeveredJoke][quote=Skinnyman][quote=SeveredJoke]This is helpful, thank you. Some of these I haven’t even heard of! By CC do you mean a lucky dip on exchanging cryptic clues for diamonds?

Sorry, I was a bit on the run, but yes, you got them right! The luck challenge at the Bazaar isn’t that bad, but does require few thousand CC in case RNG messes with you.[/quote]

The RNG hates me at the moment. I had a 75% success chance on a grind for proscribed material starting with 0 wounds and I ended up dead![/quote]

Note that depending on how many magnificent diamonds you need, using ‘A bag of low-quality diamonds’ to get them may require a very large number of cryptic clues. I just finished converting 30,000 clues into 809 E worth of flawed diamonds, but that only produced 7 magnificent diamonds in the process (~4.7% rare success rate).

5% seems to be the generally accepted number. My ~300,000 clues got me ~70 diamonds. It’s still worthwhile since this gives you about an average of 2.05 EPA for the action (or in other words, you turn your 400 pence of clues into ~605 pence of diamonds).

For the most reliable source of diamonds on short notice I might actually go with Implausible Penance.

I fear I was a little too hasty with my decision on this earlier so for curiosity’s sake: Is there any way other than waiting for the Feast of the Exceptional Rose to get rid of Free of the Name?

You can still seek the name, you just can’t be betrayed.

It’s just me or Renown: Tomb Colonies grind’s last option isn’t a fake challenge anymore?

The Wiki seems to have been given some failure text for the option. I’m guessing they made it a real challenge.

I know that zailing resets your “inspiration” quality (among other things), but does anyone know if it resets your type of work at the empress’ court? I’m grinding SotC, I accidentally misclicked, and now I’m working on a song instead of a symphony

It won’t reset that, no. You’ll have to finish the song.

I have making ways to the labyrinth of tigers 16 and also got the secret of beasts for 20 fate. To move from fourth coil to fifth I need the making ways of the labyrinth of tigers to 20. How do I do that? Thanks.

I think fifth coil isn’t a thing yet.

I think fifth coil isn’t a thing yet.[/quote]
Outside breeding new beasts the secret of beasts does anything else?

There is a story (via opp cards) about Bishop and Hell. You need to breed a Stallion to start it.
edited by Waterpls on 5/5/2017