Weekly Questions, Beginning 03/07/2017

Is there a reliable way to grind Direful Reflections? Respectively, is there a way to grind Ruthless or Magnanimous to level 4 so that you can repeatedly &quotDabble in the Great Game&quot in Veilgarden for a Direful Reflection?

Another question:
I noticed in &quotTime, the healer, brings its rewards&quot the section &quotDireful Reflection remains unchanged&quot.
Does that mean &quotTime, the healer&quot can reduce the number of Direful Reflections? If so, according to which rules?
edited by Krampus on 7/5/2017

During December you can acquire Buckets of So-Called Snow that would melt after a time, increasing your number of Direful Reflections. Don’t worry - you won’t ever lose them to Time the Healer.

I just noticed that along with constables, devils have become a favour/renown faction. I thought the amount of renown you get was supposed to reflect the previous amount of connected you had, because my Connected: Devils was at 20-something, but now I only have 3 renown, and that’s only because I just converted with the BBS.
I don’t want to lose the 3 Connected:Masters that it took me 3 months to get.
edited by Victor Archibald Xander on 7/5/2017

[quote=Victor Archibald Xander]I just noticed that along with constables, devils have become a favour/renown faction. I thought the amount of renown you get was supposed to reflect the previous amount of connected you had, because my Connected: Devils was at 20-something, but now I only have 3 renown, and that’s only because I just converted with the BBS.
I don’t want to lose the 3 Connected:Masters that it took me 3 months to get.
edited by Victor Archibald Xander on 7/5/2017[/quote]

As far as we are aware the conversion rate is dependent on the levels of Connected across the player base. So the more players that have a higher Connected, the more Connected you need to get higher levels of Renown when the conversion happens. Connected: Hell was relatively easy to grind, so lots of players had a high level. Consequently with only 20-something Connected, you lost out. If it is below a certain level you didn’t get any Renown at all, just some favours. People with good Maths skills can probably explain it better, it all makes my head hurt a bit.

I was in the same boat as you but with Connected: Great Game. It was a quality that I had never made any effort to increase and was quite low. I didn’t get any Renown, just some favours. But my Connected: Hell was somewhere in the 900s, so I got a whopping 50 Renown and a bunch of favours. Connected: Masters is quite hard to get high levels of, I believe, so the conversion rate (if and when it happens) will probably be much more favourable than for Hell, Constables, etc.

Masters may in fact never be converted. It doesn’t really fit with the paradigm.

If they do convert it, I imagine they’ll have uncapped favors and you’ll get 1 favor per CP of connected. So essentially the exact same thing.

Sorry it is worth more to seek the thieves cache or to do the shrine of deep blue heaven ? In terms of rewards and action efficiency. Thanks.

Pretty sure someone recently did the maths on that and found the thieves cache to be more profitable. Fewer actions, potentially the same range of treasures, no rivals with possibility of further loss of supplies.

Thanks.

Thanks! But seems I got lucky enough and someone spotted me! Didn’t want to finish this festival without trying this mechanic; even if I only enjoyed the campaigner part, but I’m oki with it!

Yes, Thieves Cache is more profitable and even more if you finished fate locked Soul Trade story.

[quote=Skinnyman]
Yes, Thieves Cache is more profitable and even more if you finished fate locked Soul Trade story.[/quote]

Pretty sure this is false. A bit surprised that you maintain this position given you were part of the thread where we discussed all the various factors involved. It is a difficult question and it’s misleading to assert that one strategy is better without all sorts of caveats.

From that thread, caveats aside, in general Deep Blue Heaven is better. Thieve’s Cache is in general better for spirifers. However, in both cases the difference between the two strategies is fairly marginal. Also spirifers have lost some profitability post-Renown conversion.
edited by genesis on 7/6/2017

Having done the math myself, thief’s cache is much better. If you only look at the treasure rewards, then Deep Blue Heaven will give a better reward even accounting for the large increase in actions, but the “free” ~9 echoes you always get from the thief’s cache tips the balance significantly.

All I’ve seen from you on this is this post and it’s hardly empirical evidence. All I am saying is that this specific thread is for general short queries. Making definitive statements in this thread about unsettled questions of complicated optimisation without explicit evidence is misleading and unfair to new and casual users who rely on this thread.

Let me just add that when you’ve doled out 20 supplies and end up with a wooden mask – it’s not exactly thrilling – plus no glim or souls either. Bah.

[quote=genesis][quote=Skinnyman]
Yes, Thieves Cache is more profitable and even more if you finished fate locked Soul Trade story.[/quote]

Pretty sure this is false. A bit surprised that you maintain this position given you were part of the thread where we discussed all the various factors involved. It is a difficult question and it’s misleading to assert that one strategy is better without all sorts of caveats.[/quote]
I remember that thread very well, but I decided to stop posting in it. To those values you must add the costs of getting supplies, extra AP when using the Air option, costs when buying criminal favours (if there is), extra rewards from the cards that offer Dock favours (Mayor card, for example), AP required to convert CC and the bonus E you get from it.

Even if the difference is small, Thieves caches gets to squeeze a lot more E from Dock and Criminal favours combined which is really the point as these are card based.

Besides all these, I have recorded hundreds of Blue expeditions which included Thieves cache when I had 7 favours, no cash in card, but one that provided. Around March I started doing only Thieves cache and, including the Shepherd bonus (reduced AP because I don’t need to farm Souls), I’m at around 9k for ~2851.14 AP after subtracting the ~849 from Souls.

This was done using 572 Dock Favours and 273 Criminal; this makes 845 Favours which generated 9k AP resulting in ~10.65 E/favour.

Excluding the Fate story bonus it goes to 10k E for 3700 AP.

Does anyone know the requirements for entering The Mind of a Long-Dead God? The wiki says 15 What the Thunder Said and 19 Stormy-Eyed, but I have 18 WTTS and just got back to London after raising Stormy-Eyed to that on Mutton Island and nothing happened.

You should have a storylet that lets you enter the Mind. It might be pretty far down the page though.

Hi everyone!
Probably a very lame question, but - where can I find what my Making Waves quality is? Shouldn’t it be indicated in bottom-left corner, as basic Qualities and Menaces?
edited by SirKwint on 7/6/2017

I wish, and I don’t know why they don’t show it there. But right now the only way to look at it is to go to the &quotmyself&quot tab and search through the &quotstory&quot section until you find it.

[quote=Pumpkinhead][quote=SirKwint]
Probably a very lame question, but - where can I find what my Making Waves quality is? Shouldn’t it be indicated in bottom-left corner, as basic Qualities and Menaces?
[/quote]
I wish, and I don’t know why they don’t show it there. But right now the only way to look at it is to go to the &quotmyself&quot tab and search through the &quotstory&quot section until you find it.[/quote]
You can also go to the &quotAttend to Matters of Society&quot in your lodgings and mark the option to summon the Amanuensis card as a Plan.

This way you can always go to the Plans tab and hover over the Making Waves requirement of that option to see how much you have vs how much you need.

Ah, but on the other hand, getting two night whispers is pretty darn nice!

Though I do get what you’re saying and I actually agree with it. I prefer a little risk aversion. I got a horsehead amulet earlier today (with the 400 glim instead of souls to boot) and I did a :| face.