Weekly Questions, Beginning 03/06/2016

Oh, I get it! And I only need to have one at 100, I assume? Also, does it takes a lot of actions?

You need to have all of them over 100, just at different times, so you can equip different gear for each check.
It takes 4 actions total.

Once you do the first check, you are free to go do something else. It doesn’t lock you into anything.
edited by suinicide on 6/7/2016

It’s not a perfect answer, but you could check the PoSI crafting to get an idea. Only from that I decided to keep some items because I want to enjoy a story with the grind required by it if, by any chance, I didn’t sell required items.
If you have some high-end items you can check their uses and think if you would need it soon or not. I am always drawing cards in the Flit for the favours card and try to keep my Connections with the Revolutionaries pretty high. Those materials can stack up pretty nice if you don’t sell them every time.
Cheers and good luck with your soon-to-have Orphanage.

[quote=Professor Strix]So, stupid question, but I’m unsure on what to do.

I have been collecting echoes for some time and, doing a bit of math, I see that I have more than enough money to build an Orphanage (something I wanted even before knowing that it was possible to do in game). I need the money to hire the people and bribe the orphans into staying, plus the 110 echoes for renovations.

The thing is, I have enough money, but it is all scattered in items. Selling tier-1 or 2 items won’t give me enough money (I like to have around 1000 of them around for exchanges in game), but I’m not sure which higher-tier items I can sell without worry.

Even with the addition of the &quotcommonplace&quot or &quotrare&quot labels, I feel a little doubtful, because an item may be commonplace after a certain point in the game, and I may not be in that point yet. Right now, I’m doing Affair of the Box (just unlocked it), works of art in Court (until I get expelled), breeding advanced beasts in the Labyrinth of Tigers, getting things to open my newspaper and investigating Jack’s case. My ambition is the Vake, I still have to kill the assassins after me (not looking foward to it, tbh). Is there any higher-tier items that I need in high amounts in the near future and I will regret selling? (I already had a hard time with mourning candles in AotB, glad my Someone is Coming was high.)[/quote]
Generally speaking, excluding the ambitions, you never need more than 62.5 echoes of an item, or one instance, for any story-intended storylet. [exceptions exist, but most are pretty obvious, or only for collection purposes: Master’s blood requires 5 tears of the bazaar which requires seven vials of airag, impossible theorems cost 49 searing enigmas. The gear in the bazaar sidestreets and the boats are the main exception.]

If you don’t have some repeatable use for an items, you’ll never need more than 10 of any of the 12.5 echo items- with the exception of 4-card lodgings.

There’s also a certain give-and-take… useful items are frequently easier to get than useless ones, but also more needed to hoard. Direful reflections, trembling amber, and unearthly fossils all have virtually no uses, but are really hard to aquire for most players without going out of their way.

If you must sell something, generally the 12.5 items are the best choice. The 62.5 items are rarely used, but really hard to get, while the cheaper items are used so often it takes an absurd stockpile before you actually have a year’s supply, much less a lifetime.

Higher rarity items are often a better choice to sell, as they don’t get used as much as currency either. I can’t even remember the last time i used either puzzle-damask or parabola linen- and the wiki agrees, so feel free to sell them- the only use for parabola linen is weddings and MW and getting close to the tomb colonies, and puzzle damask is a little less useful.

I know the wiki is useful- when in doubt, consult with it.

[internet died, sorry for the delay in the reply.]

Thank you for the help! I don’t use the wiki much because of that irritating bug that I explained here: http://community.failbettergames.com/topic22005-mystery-in-the-fallen-london-wiki.aspx

And I don’t have many expensive items, just a massive amount of Cryptic Clues, Moon Pearls and some other cheaper ones. I suppose I should grind a little more.

Now that I have maxed out my Connnection: Masters, should I start ignoring the Mr Wines Revels card chain, or is there still some way to extract profit from it?

For the more senior players- what is Agendum Minutia? Is it a mad bonus for finding glitches?

It has never been seen before. It might be a part of a coming Exceptional Story that glitched around London for a while. Or a part of SMEN. Or something completely different.
edited by phryne on 6/8/2016

I’ve been playing Fallen London for ages and never used the forums so please forgive me for everything I’m sure I’m doing wrong.

I just accidentally ended my affair with the Honey Sipping Jewel Thief, is this a permanent end or is there a way to do that seduction again? I want all those easy to get items again…
edited by vyvyansboots on 6/9/2016

It’s repeatable, iirc.

Is the “A gift of great fate” option available again? Given that Unaccountably Peckish is now being handed out like sweeties, I would like to pass my store of fate on before I close up shop.

What is the best way to gain Romantic Notions?

After using The End to quit the Searching for Mr Eaten’s Name storyline, is there any way to start it over later?

Generally, no. The only previous way I’m aware of was the 2013 Advent Calendar, which had one access code that removed Free of the Name (if you had it, and did nothing otherwise). There might also have been an opportunity card. However, since we do not know the details of Seeking 2.0 yet, and the waiver notices go so far as to break character to inform you of the gravity of the decision, it’s probable that there isn’t a way back in at this time.

Polythreme or, depending on what you want them for you can grind honey and covert it withDecent things for PoSI or Discussing philosophy, if you have access to the Court, which offers some MW.

[quote=Professor Sketch]I’m thinking of starting a new character - one who wants no part of adventure and instead will seek a career as a Notary, but apparently you need Notability 3 (which in turn requires Slowcake’s Amanuensis card), which means you must become a PoSI before trying to be a Notary. It seems rather harsh for such an unrewarding profession, so I was wondering - is there any way to become a Notary before becoming a PoSI?
edited by Professor Sketch on 6/9/2016[/quote]

All the higher tier professions (including Notary) require you to be PoSI.

Polythreme or, depending on what you want them for you can grind honey and covert it withDecent things for PoSI or Discussing philosophy, if you have access to the Court, which offers some MW.[/quote]
I need them for buying wine from Mr. Wines, and since I am not yet POSI, I guess Court will do. Thanks!

I just got two Elemental Secrets from the Gallery of Serpents. Should I hold onto them or just sell them for the Echoes?

With the exception of Author, for some reason.

[quote=aegisaglow]I just got two Elemental Secrets from the Gallery of Serpents. Should I hold onto them or just sell them for the Echoes?

With the exception of Author, for some reason.[/quote]
Because you’re published! that said, given that writing novels is unprofitable it might not be the best choice. up to you, i suppose.

Is someone at FBG making sure Alexis rests from time to time? He seems to be a vigorous and erratic schedule right now…