Weekly Questions, Beginning 03/06/2016

Hey folks! Here’s this week’s thread for short, hopefully simple-to-answer questions

Docks Favours: I feel like I’m missing something. The previous weekly questions thread said the best cash-in for a Docks Favour was 2.xx epa. I’ve been using mine for “A round of well-intentioned backslapping” in Wolfstack for 420 glim.

I’m typically not the optimal-grind seeking person, but couldn’t square those two things. I’m hoping someone has more context for me.

[quote=Theus]Docks Favours: I feel like I’m missing something. The previous weekly questions thread said the best cash-in for a Docks Favour was 2.xx epa. I’ve been using mine for &quotA round of well-intentioned backslapping&quot in Wolfstack for 420 glim.

I’m typically not the optimal-grind seeking person, but couldn’t square those two things. I’m hoping someone has more context for me.[/quote]

It takes an action to get a favour(and 10 rosty gold if it’s from their faction card) and another one to get the glim, so it’s 2 actions for 420 glim.

My question up here: if anyone’s done the fate-locked 5-fate for one favor option on the renown items, can they PM me the results?

[quote=Theus]Docks Favours: I feel like I’m missing something. The previous weekly questions thread said the best cash-in for a Docks Favour was 2.xx epa. I’ve been using mine for &quotA round of well-intentioned backslapping&quot in Wolfstack for 420 glim.

I’m typically not the optimal-grind seeking person, but couldn’t square those two things. I’m hoping someone has more context for me.[/quote]
It used to be a mere 300 for the favor- the 420 is a recent change, and the poster could have been unaware. on the other hand, each favor is worth (4.2 echoes - value of one action)- while the other optimal favor grind, imo, is five favors = (18.1 echoes - value of one action + value of one point someone is coming)

so it’s a contest between 21 echoes for 5 favors and 5 actions (not counting aquisition of favors) and 18.1 echoes for 5 favors and one action, with a point SoIC as a bonus. Even the inferior docks vs. urchins @ 17.5 echoes for 5 favors is better

For anyone who can manage a reliable 1 epa, conflict cards at favors 5 exactly are still superior, though cashing in favors to hit 5 rather than 7 when you draw the card is worthwhile.

That said, they’re wrong. The best cash-in is on the docks vs. widow conflict card at exactly 5 favors, for 3.01 epa. [well, 3.01 if you’re getting it at no cost. 2.93 with the underlined repeating if you’re getting the favors from the docks card.] (more have diminishing returns, adding an effective 2.5 epa to the payout. less mean the card doesn’t show up.)

If you’re drawing the urchins instead, it has only slightly worse epa, at 2.91 epa, or 2.83 if you’re getting them from the docks card.
edited by Grenem on 6/3/2016

I don’t thing I’ve ever seen docks vs. widow. What level does the widow need to be at to see it?

The Acacia and the Butterfly can be drawn at 30 connected widow and 5 Dock Favours.

I tend to use the third option - 1 SBL (very useful for Expedition supplies after you get your POSI items); 250 Jade and a bundle of oddities. It takes a fair chunk of widow cp and a dock favour.

30, now. used to be 50. you need docks favor 5, and you it’s at half-standard frequency (same as urchins conflict, but that doesn’t change how uncommon it is.)

You could also cash in 500 cp widow connection @ ~25 echoes, assuming you have a use for strong-backed labor- otherwise, you could make the case it is worth as little as 15 echoes.

The Acacia and the Butterfly can be drawn at 30 connected widow and 5 Dock Favours.

I tend to use the third option - 1 SBL (very useful for Expedition supplies after you get your POSI items); 250 Jade and a bundle of oddities. It takes a fair chunk of widow cp and a dock favour.[/quote]
assuming you want SBL at standard purchase price- an unreasonable assumption- it’s 16 echoes for one docks favor and 100 cp widow, assuming the SOIC and bundle of oddities pay for the action. If you’re planning on cashing both in, and have sources for them already, it’s a viable option. if you don’t… treating the docks favor as 3.62 echoes, it’s 12.38 echoes for 100 cp, pricing widow connection points as worth a massive 12 pence per point. OFC, that’s merely fair- grinding widow is not, in fact, practical, unless new sources have manifested. it makes an audience with the widow conventionally profitable, though, if you have the requisite airs.

It does make the transformation of 15 cp urchin to 30 cp widow arguably highly profitable, but given that is both A) card based and B) going to vanish shortly, it’s not exactly… relevant.

if anyone knows of a better than 10 cp per action grind, that would change things, though. does any such thing exist?

I think it is worth it if you like doing expeditions - one SBL is 5 expedition supplies and so, imo, it works out slightly better than using the Docks option which gives 4 supplies and also uses some rostygold. But I haven’t done the maths on all the possibilities.

well, it’s 1 expedition supply, 50 rostygold, and 250 jade, for one action and 100 cp widow, in that case. which, if you don’t care about her favor at all might be a good deal. maybe. it’s a profit of about 3 echoes and an expedition supply- whatever you price those at- for 1 action and 100 cp of her favor. better than the standard payout, at least. Not worth grinding widow for, though- as it’s 10 actions of cp grinding, and one action cash-in for 3 echoes, 4.2 echoes jade from the grind, and an expedition supply, for which you can get 10 echoes or more in secrets and cash in one of them with your dock favor for a minimum for 5 supplies.

Lady Ciel, did the math and best regarding AP and value, are Dock Favours.
Me and Grenem are having a talk over here regarding expeditions and Favours.

[quote=Skinnyman]Lady Ciel, did the math and best regarding AP and value, are Dock Favours.
Me and Grenem are having a talk over here regarding expeditions and Favours.[/quote]
Counting the expeditions as 2 epa, and not counting the actions to get the favors, as that’s not part of expeditions, docks favors are worth 3.93 Echoes Per Favor for people who can reliably do bold approach, and 5.20 Echoes Per Favor for people who can reliably do buccaneering- assuming you’re doing blue heaven shrine. the other expedition- theive’s chache- has calculations pending.

What’s the best use for criminal favors in terms of EpA?

I guess that would be the &quotHumbug&quot option from &quotA merry sort of crime&quot, for 4.4 echoes a favor.

Can your protégé accept a lesson if you are out on zee?
edited by Henrique Brito on 6/4/2016

I guess that would be the &quotHumbug&quot option from &quotA merry sort of crime&quot, for 4.4 echoes a favor.

Can your protégé accept a lesson if you are out on zee?
edited by Henrique Brito on 6/4/2016[/quote]
No. And that’s only &quot4.4 - 1 action’s epa&quot, or about 2.9 echoes. Maybe that is te best, but i’m pretty sure it’s not.

It’s &quotOne stone in a thousand&quot in the &quotAn implausible penance&quot card if you are a Spirifer. 4.8 Echos per favour (2.4 per action)

I need help can someone tell me how to make a game on story nexus I am new and I have spent 30 mins trying to figure it out help me.

It’s &quotOne stone in a thousand&quot in the &quotAn implausible penance&quot card if you are a Spirifer. 4.8 Echos per favour (2.4 per action)[/quote]
Sorry, wrong question. what is best in terms of EpF minus actions. i suppose this is 4.8 echoes less epa, which for an endgame player places it at… something highly variable. potentially pretty darn bad.

Still, if i assume this is the case, then thieves cache expeditions are more profitable per action than an expedition to deep blue shrine.
edited by Grenem on 6/5/2016

asking in the wrong forum. that isn’t something this forum is for. this thread might hold your answer: http://community.failbettergames.com/topic21886-still-possible-to-start-a-new-world.aspx

Does one still receive professional rewards when one is out and about on the Unterzee? I’ve finally made it out for my first zee ventures and am loathe to return, but should probably chart a course back to London if I need to be there for my weekly perks. Thanks!