Weekly Fallen London Questions, 29/11/2021

Here’s this week’s quick questions thread!

Following up on last week’s thread, I resorted to the wiki for info in my quest for ancient mysteries. On a heist at the The Circumspect Envoy’s Townhouse is supposed to have an option for “Take a set of wax tablets, inscribed with ancient treaties”

It was not there. Do you need extra burglar’s progress or some other prerequisite to see it, or has it been retired?

I could use some advice relating to Arbor. I’m still refamiliarizing myself with the game and I want to make the most of my time whenever I get the chance to visit. I currently have enough attar to be in Far Arbor, and I’m wondering what exactly I should do when I’m there. Like what places to go and what I should be looking to obtain while visiting. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I usually hang out at the temple end, serve as a serpent shepherd for presbyterate passphrases. At the other end, the palace, you can get favours in high places. Also a vial of queenly attar, if you haven’t already got one.

[quote=Bluestocking] On a heist at the The Circumspect Envoy’s Townhouse is supposed to have an option for &quotTake a set of wax tablets, inscribed with ancient treaties&quot

It was not there. Do you need extra burglar’s progress or some other prerequisite to see it, or has it been retired?[/quote] I just ran the Heist out of curiosity and 5 Burglar’s Progress unlocks the &quotA Prize Achieved!&quot Card, which redirects to &quotThe Envoy’s Study&quot with all 4 options on it, including the &quotset of wax tablets&quot option. There are no visible unlocks, and if you see the other options but not the last one I cannot explain why that would be, mechanically or design-wise.

[quote=elderfleur][quote=Bluestocking] On a heist at the The Circumspect Envoy’s Townhouse is supposed to have an option for &quotTake a set of wax tablets, inscribed with ancient treaties&quot

It was not there. Do you need extra burglar’s progress or some other prerequisite to see it, or has it been retired?[/quote] I just ran the Heist out of curiosity and 5 Burglar’s Progress unlocks the &quotA Prize Achieved!&quot Card, which redirects to &quotThe Envoy’s Study&quot with all 4 options on it, including the &quotset of wax tablets&quot option. There are no visible unlocks, and if you see the other options but not the last one I cannot explain why that would be, mechanically or design-wise.[/quote]
Odd. I only have 3, Thanks for checking, anyway. I thought I might need to have some story point, but usually a person who CAN see an option has a reason. You unlocked this with Acquaintance: The Roseate Envoy’s Niece’s Pet Rat 1 or whatever, I’m reluctant to bother failbetter with email but I was quite keen on this option.

[quote=Bluestocking]Odd. I only have 3, Thanks for checking, anyway. I thought I might need to have some story point, but usually a person who CAN see an option has a reason. You unlocked this with Acquaintance: The Roseate Envoy’s Niece’s Pet Rat 1 or whatever, I’m reluctant to bother failbetter with email but I was quite keen on this option.[/quote] The text makes reference to 2018’s Hallowmas event (deciding who would be the Ambassador to Arbour) so there might be an invisible unlock related to the limited-event Ambassador to Arbour quality, perhaps. Unfortunately I haven’t made a new character since then and thus have no characters with which to check who do not know the Ambassador. I’d send an email either way; even if the reply is &quotworking as intended&quot that’s useful knowledge to the community as a whole (we can flag it on the wiki, at least), and if it’s not working as intended that’s even better (better that it’s brought up and able to be fixed, I mean).

For Antique Mysteries and Passphrases, have you looked into being a Governor at Port Carnelian? You’ll want modified Persuasive/Watchful at about 200, and you’ll be away from London for a few days, but if side with the Tigers you’re paid out exclusively in Passphrases and Antique Mysteries at about 2 EPA (a fair rate for specific higher-end items, if not an exciting one). Protifitability aside, it’s a fun bit of content.

[quote=Bluestocking]

Odd. I only have 3, Thanks for checking, anyway. I thought I might need to have some story point, but usually a person who CAN see an option has a reason. You unlocked this with Acquaintance: The Roseate Envoy’s Niece’s Pet Rat 1 or whatever, I’m reluctant to bother failbetter with email but I was quite keen on this option.[/quote]

I also recently ran that heist and had all four options. They add a quality called purloined paperwork, sequentially from 1-4, and I was wondering if you have run any of the options on that heist previously? I’d done it a few times before and taken all of the other options at some time or other. But I don’t normally follow the qualities particularly, so I don’t know if it has any relevance in this case.
I presume you weren’t playing when the Rosers story unfolded and we all got a chance to be the envoy? But excluding players on the basis of any quality derived from that would affect a growing number of people, so it seems unlikely.
Back to pinching stuff from Feducci?

[quote=Meradine Heidenreich] They add a quality called purloined paperwork, sequentially from 1-4, and I was wondering if you have run any of the options on that heist previously? I’d done it a few times before and taken all of the other options at some time or other. But I don’t normally follow the qualities particularly, so I don’t know if it has any relevance in this case.
I presume you weren’t playing when the Rosers story unfolded and we all got a chance to be the envoy? But excluding players on the basis of any quality derived from that would affect a growing number of people, so it seems unlikely.
Back to pinching stuff from Feducci?[/quote]
I’ve done it before, but I don’t know if I’ve done all 3. I don’t remember the options changing though. I think purloined paperwork is just a marker for which one you purloined, not anything cumulative.

I only started this year at Whitsun, so definitely never saw the Rosers.

Yep, Feducci. Also today’s time the healer should get me to enough perks for &quotsomething else&quot which will be nice. Premises at the Beth before Xmas for sure! (Also useful for my ambition)

Edit:typo Zmas for Xmas. Makes me wonder if Xmas at Zee is Zmas, and if there should be such a thing. :)
edited by Bluestocking on 11/30/2021

Resolved. I emailed FBG, they said “no reason for it not to be there”. I rebooted (for unrelated reasons but chromebooks aren’t good at 40 tabs, several paused youtube vids, and half a dozen other apps, some graphics heavy games). Then I reran a heist to get a screen shot - and there it was! Just sitting there as if it had never been missing.

Weird but in the end it worked out.

Ah, I’ll be sure to check out those options the next time I’m visiting. I have a second question; what would be the best way to spend 20 spare fate? Should I get a specific fate-locked storyline? Or perhaps there’s some special seasonal item that I might want to get during this month? Wise fellow Londoners how would you use 20 fate in my situation?

[quote=Sir Jedidiah ]I have a second question; what would be the best way to spend 20 spare fate? Should I get a specific fate-locked storyline? Or perhaps there’s some special seasonal item that I might want to get during this month? Wise fellow Londoners how would you use 20 fate in my situation?[/quote] Most of the stories and chunky items are 25, 30, or 45 Fate unfortunately, but there’s a few popular choices at the 15-20 Fate point. For 20 Fate I could suggest:

[ul][li]The expansion to the Velocipede Squad story : a dozen or so actions worth of story that might be interesting if you’re intrigued by the Constable faction, and a fancy, mildly useful item.
[/li][li]Breedings More Beasts in the Labyrinth of Tigers : opens up quite a few new repeatable actions with 3+ new beastly companions (5 if you get to Flute Street some day), who come with their own Opportunity Cards which… well, mixed bag depending upon where in the game you are, but if you don’t like the Cards you can sell the beast responsible and reacquire it at your leisure.
[/li][li]A new job for your Aunt : a few actions worth of content, and a new improved version of your Aunt’s Opportunity Card. Also comes with a few paragraphs of writing and an upgrade in the Port Carnelian loop.[/li][/ul]
I’d pick the Beast-Breeding option first, but definitely follow your Heart[s] and/or get a second opinion.
edited by elderfleur on 12/2/2021

If you end the Aunt storyline with your aunt going to work for Mr Wines, her card will always be one of the best cards in your deck.

Has anyone else taken the Boardroom option designed to award 24 progress on a Parabolan campaign?

I took it, and nothing appears to have happened – no record, no benefit. I was something like 6 into an existing campaign and would have expected it to maybe kick in at the next stage, but I’m past that now.
So what was supposed to happen? And how did I stuff up?

[quote=Ragnar Degenhand]Has anyone else taken the Boardroom option designed to award 24 progress on a Parabolan campaign?

I took it, and nothing appears to have happened – no record, no benefit. I was something like 6 into an existing campaign and would have expected it to maybe kick in at the next stage, but I’m past that now.
So what was supposed to happen? And how did I stuff up?[/quote]

Well, it gives you 24 progresses and some ravages (8 I think).
Then you need to go back to the Parabolan War and click on the storylet that makes you pass to the next stage as usual (as if you had gathered 24 progresses another way).

[quote=Mr J]
Well, it gives you 24 progresses and some ravages (8 I think).
Then you need to go back to the Parabolan War and click on the storylet that makes you pass to the next stage as usual (as if you had gathered 24 progresses another way).[/quote]

In that case, something went amiss, because none of that happened.

It was working as normal as of Tuesday, which is when I had my board meeting. I still have the 24 Advance!, as I haven’t been to Parabola yet to continue the war. (I wouldn’t recommend using the train if you have any Advance! at all; just finish that stage and use the train for the next stage. The train is meant to finish an entire stage. Use it for that.)
edited by PJ on 12/2/2021

Can you tell me where it is located? Is it under Progress?

Can you tell me where it is located? Is it under Progress?[/quote]
You can use the little search bar to find a specific quality.

So, about Flint. A LONG story, I am told. Is it possible to dip in and out of it, or must I leave London for a long time?