Weekly Fallen London Questions, 10/08/2020

Here’s this week’s quick questions thread!

When your given the option to build around or through a missing block in Railway, is it worth getting an impossible theorem for the latter? It’s perfectly obtainable for me, I was just wondering if it was worth it timewise compared to just getting materials to make up for the loss of Track Laid.

[quote=RoyalRaven]When your given the option to build around or through a missing block in Railway, is it worth getting an impossible theorem for the latter? It’s perfectly obtainable for me, I was just wondering if it was worth it timewise compared to just getting materials to make up for the loss of Track Laid.[/quote]There are no large long-term effects to either decision as far as I can tell. Having an impossible theorem just saves you a bit of hassle and corporate debt, both of which are easily resolved. If you don’t want to burn 22–24 searing enigmas to get an impossible theorem slightly faster than it would take you to get the resources for the additional stretch of track, then it’s probably a better time-investment to just build around the block so you can progress the railway and save the grind for later. There aren’t many ways to use an impossible theorem either, so it’s more of a roleplay decision or a collector’s impulse.

Thank you!

Just a note the the Impossible Theorem comes in useful in your Laboratory when researching Red Science experiments, also useful for upgrading to a Suite at the Royal Beth. Plus these days creating it is just a matter of spending the time and actions.

Mhh… unless you’re in a hurry using a Impossible Theorem for upgrading the Suite seems like a big waste. If you’re able to wait, upgrade them at christmas. It’s way cheaper.
For Red Sience experiments a Impossible Theorem is interesting, but I would reccomend a good equiped lab and alot of time before thinking about this.

Sure, I was only pointing out that it’s not just for roleplay.

Does anyone have an idea why any action in Waswood immediately throws you out of it? It doesn’t work that way with other Parabolan areas… and is quite bothersome, to be honest, when you have to create a bunch of Narratives for various purposes.

That’s just the way the Waswood works mechanically. I surmise it’s that way because you can’t - or shouldn’t - linger too long in the past.

That’s just the way the Waswood works mechanically. I surmise it’s that way because you can’t - or shouldn’t - linger too long in the past.[/quote]

The narrative for the Waswood is that you’re floating through it on the river, rather than being in the wood itself, so you get as long as it takes for the river to carry you through the wood.

It gives you a very valuable research option for Red Science lab projects (which does not consume the Theorem). 24 regular research on success, 20 + 2 pts Nightmares on failure. Depending on how you’ve got your stats and items, you’ve probably got a 60-75% success rate. If you’ve also got Letice or Haephesta (post-Obsession) as Researchers (to deal with the inevitable Nightmares), it’s a really good deal.

You can use Searing Enigmas to help speed up the 12000 research needed for your Impossible Theorem. This takes fewer Enigmas than getting the Theorem the non-laboratory way–500 research/Enigma = 24 Enigmas, vs the 49 you’d need to make one with the Professor Denuntiatus.

When is the Magistracy of the Evenlode station supposed to unlock?

I have managed to draw a card that does not appear in the wiki. “A dream of a mouldering library”

Is there anyone who edits the wiki who might like all the info to add when I play the card? I am too daunted to try to edit the wiki myself, but happy to send along all relevant info.

The card is a new one. It was added to the Wiki a couple of hours ago. If you’re not seeing it, it might be due to a caching bug?

https://fallenlondon.fandom.com/wiki/A_dream_of_a_mouldering_library

A few players have offered to collect data from those who don’t want to take the plunge into editing the Wiki directly. I’ll let them speak for themselves, I’d rather not sign up anyone for getting PMs dumped on them.

If you don’t mind, there’s one thing that I would appreciate if you can double-check. Can you confirm that the Lock condition for the card is “Haunted by Stairs,” while the lock condition for the action is “Transformed by Stairs”? I wasn’t paying close attention to the card (and won’t be able to draw it again for a while), if those are actually two different qualities that’s fairly significant.

Ah, there it is! I don’t know why it wasn’t showing up.

[quote=PSGarak]
If you don’t mind, there’s one thing that I would appreciate if you can double-check. Can you confirm that the Lock condition for the card is &quotHaunted by Stairs,&quot while the lock condition for the action is &quotTransformed by Stairs&quot? I wasn’t paying close attention to the card (and won’t be able to draw it again for a while), if those are actually two different qualities that’s fairly significant.[/quote]

And yes, those conditions are correct.

New Lord Mayor card - Society favor if you go on patrol with her.

Criminals favour if you intrigue against her.

I have one more day of exceptional membership but haven’t finished the “To Dust” Storylet. Do I need to resubscribe or is that automatic? Does anyone know what happens to a monthly storylet you’re in when your Exceptional Friendship lapses?

I’m 99.999 (going on into infinity)% certain that if you were subscribed when it came out you’ll still have access to it even if your subscription ends.

I hope this is the right place, as I wasn’t sure which thread was best.

The result of &quotFinish your experiment with Mr Spices’ Drug and reveal the truth to the Dean&quot seems to imply Mr Spices is pregnant, at least from what I can tell via the wiki. I’m rather curious about this, particularly the paternity issue (half-curious if the other half is implied to be the Dean), and wondered if any of this lore about how/if/why that particular character could be pregnant is explored in any of the other stories that I could play or replay?
edited by Robin Alexander on 8/13/2020