Weekly Fallen London Questions, 10/08/2020

The only other thing I’m aware of that ties into this, is a mention about the Storm-Bird. I believe it’s part of the Monstrous Studies research project, so not something you can repeat.

The Storm-Bird’s shadow resembles a bat or a baby master.

This connection is made stronger by the Interference card.

Is there a good reason other than RP to add Railway council members? I know I would love to have some of them, but how many is too many?
Keep in mind I just started (with Sinning Jenny, the Bishop of St Fiacre, the Dean of xenotheology, Furnace Ancona and of Course his Lordship and Viriginia). Do they give benefits? Story bits? Are they just flavor?
edited by Jolanda Swan on 8/14/2020

[quote=Jolanda Swan]Is there a good reason other than RP to add Railway council members? I know I would love to have some of them, but how many is too many?
Keep in mind I just started (with Sinning Jenny, the Bishop of St Fiacre, the Dean of xenotheology, Furnace Ancona and of Course his Lordship and Viriginia). Do they give benefits? Story bits? Are they just flavor?
edited by Jolanda Swan on 8/14/2020[/quote]

The council members have different opinions, so its easier/harder to convince them about different stuff. E.g. Sinning Jenny always likes the idea of improving train security, while she doesn’t like other changes (for example luxury, if I remember right).
Beisdes that, I think I’ve read somewhere, that you can build statues for different members or something like that, but I think others that have explored the railway content more can tell you more about this.

Part of it is stacking the board with members who’ll consent to your agenda; some is the RP and lore tidbits you’ll get from various members. They won’t always have something to say, but you’ll often get at least a little bit of story or character insight from a given decision. Also, building statues of board members in stations gives the opportunity to trade favours for goods - sometimes quite useful goods.

I see. So it’s fine to add the people I like and leave criminals behind. Which is a pity, because the members that wipe corporate debt are the Tentacled Enterpereneur and the Widow! Is there another way to do that?

A few ways, yeah. You can convince people to invest with tea and Rumours of the Upper River. You can also build a rubbery pie stall at Ealing Gardens Station and sell pies to cover the debt.

Good! I have no idea what tea and Rumors of the Upper river are, but really, that’s the price of taking a break among the biggest content update in years. I will try not to spam the weekly questions thread… Thank you all!

You can get Rumours for selling skeletons to some specific buyers or from a whole lot of actions in Ealing station or Jericho Locks. Actually, just coming here give you one.
You can get tea from one of new clubs (Sophia’s, I think), or buy helping urchin from Ealing station with his bear problem (Honey Mazed Bear carousel, which you most likely run into anyway. It raises dangerous caps, gives throphies for dangerous analogue of Sotc/Poet-Laureate and it is story about bear lost in dream world due to overhoneing, so why wouldn’t you)
All and all requires at least one station, but Debt would become real problem only when you upgrade your train or trying for dividents. First can wait, second - last time I check - wasn’t really worth it yet.

Hey, that’s what it’s here for!

I am trying to build Ealing station, but I guess I have to wait for Time the Healer? Even though supposedly before that you get extra meetings?
I hope it’s not a bug. The board chose to go through the occupied buildings, so I was expecting to be able to start laying tracks - apparently, it requires an extra meeting?

You can repeatedly add Board members to reduce corporate debt, and then kick them off the board. Kicking off the board takes an extra vote in the board meeting, but doesn’t seem to have any permanent consequences (honestly I expect this to get nerfed in the future). I’ve kicked the Widow off my board like four times.

You will need multiple Board meetings per station. But if you’ve decided what route to lay tracks, you should be able to start. Do you have the “Terrain Surveyed” quality? Look for a Storylet in Moloch Street named “The Next Stretch of Track.”

Is it pronounced “Was-wood” or “Wahss-wood”?

I’m guessing “was-wood”, because it’s the forest of things that exist in the past tense.

I’ll admit, I’ve been pronouncing it a bit German, like “vas-wood”.

I currently need 1000 First City Coins, but only have 12.

Does anyone know the best way to grind these?

Author of Gothic Tales pays 1 coin and 4 scrips per action. Not the fastest way, but the best in terms of EpA, if you have high enough KT.

Or you can grind them on alt with HD ambition and send to main.
edited by Waterpls on 8/15/2020

[quote=Robin Alexander]I currently need 1000 First City Coins, but only have 12.

Does anyone know the best way to grind these?[/quote]

Are you aiming for aleatory station in your lab? Because it’s not worth it - easier to grind lab-created items for that. And text is short enough to be presented whole on the wiki.

Ah, okay. Is it better to &quotDesign your own aleatory methods&quot, then?

Yes, its easier and cheaper.

Converting 0.5 E into memories of distant shores right now and noticed that there are no “Try again” option. Am I misremembering something or the was a “Try again” button after you interacted with items? Or it is a Jericho Locks problem? Because I’m taking 6th or 7th trip seeking the octagonal tomb and fail every time. And that’s a lot of conversions and scrolling down to find the items again.