Weekly Fallen London Questions, 10/05/2021

Here’s this week’s quick questions thread!

Why is the sky not blue?

Do we have statistics about the Rare Success that makes Lab students upgrade on their own? Specifically, do we know if it’s in any way related to the cost of upgrading them “manually”?

Because we’re in a cave silly. It’s black obviously.

Because we’re in a cave silly. It’s black obviously.[/quote]
:)

Is there a cap on “Caused a Scene at the Apicius Club” or some sort of reason/implication to increase it above a certain number?

I need my “Scholar of the Correspondence” to be at 15 to pass a check, and it’s taking forever and a day - at a hell of a lot of cost - to do it by spending Plaques at the University. The hover-over tells me to do an expedition to the Temple of Seven (I think it was?), but it says to go to the Forgotten Quarter (turns out it was the base-camp I needed), but there’s no such expedition in my base-camp.

Is there an easier way to raise it as needed? I feel like I’m missing something.

[quote=Robin Alexander]I need my &quotScholar of the Correspondence&quot to be at 15 to pass a check, and it’s taking forever and a day - at a hell of a lot of cost - to do it by spending Plaques at the University. The hover-over tells me to do an expedition to the Temple of Seven (I think it was?), but it says to go to the Forgotten Quarter (turns out it was the base-camp I needed), but there’s no such expedition in my base-camp.

Is there an easier way to raise it as needed? I feel like I’m missing something.[/quote]

The expedition to the Tomb of the Seven is how you got your first point of Scholar of the Correspondence, back when you were Making Your Name. You can’t do it again.

Once you’ve reached 10 SotC, the only ways to raise it further (outside of Christmas) are by spending Plaques at the university and by receiving Flame-Proof Missives from Correspondents. (if you’ve not yet reached 10 SotC, this guide on the wiki can help you to get to that point)

[quote=34Witches]

The expedition to the Tomb of the Seven is how you got your first point of Scholar of the Correspondence, back when you were Making Your Name. You can’t do it again.

Once you’ve reached 10 SotC, the only ways to raise it further (outside of Christmas) are by spending Plaques at the university and by receiving Flame-Proof Missives from Correspondents. (if you’ve not yet reached 10 SotC, this guide on the wiki can help you to get to that point)[/quote]

Thank you, that’s helpful.

It seems like it’ll be a pain in the butt, so just to double check -

Do I need to have it at 15 to do the Hurlers content? I imagine I need to ‘Swear the Oath’ to progress, and there’s no other way to do this?

You will need to do that in order to progress on the Discordance storyline at the Hurlers. There is some Hurlers content that’s separate from the Discordance (like the stove and the lapidary), but the Discordance is the main thing and as far as I’m aware it’s a hard gate.

If I board the ship with the Carpenter’s Granddaughter,how long will I be away? I have eggs to decorate!

Some time. About a day? Normal length for an ES.

I think it was on the order of 40 actions (with no or few challenge failures). Definitely fewer than 80.

Ah, very helpful. This is my first adventure of this kind.

I shall wait out an egg or two before continuing this one, then. I can get only one of the fully augmented kind, as several locations are not available at my low level, so I’ll make a super-spindlewolf and then off we go!

Spoilers for railway up to Burrow infra Mump

Can you change your parish council members later or are you stuck with the ones you choose at the start? I want to get the one who requires 25 Bohemian renown, and I’m a few points off and unsure whether to wait.

Also, in the earlier stages of building the railway I did a couple of sections where I looked for bones along the way. I took the option to ‘mark the spot’, I think it was, both times because I didn’t want to choose the bones just then. I assumed I’d be able to access this content again later. However, I can’t find a way back to it - is there one, or did I inadvertently give up the option to choose the bones for good?

https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Yara%20Aronssen
edited by Yara on 5/17/2021

Is there a way to regain my soul that doesn’t involve paying Fate? I’ve been searching the Wiki and it seems like all the non-Fate options have been retired from the game.

I believe you can reform your parish council and begin the process of forming your church again, for Fate. If you want to save the Fate, wait until you have the renown before progressing.

If you mark the spot where you’ve found bones, then you’ll have more points of Palaeontological Discovery to spend next time you go to a dig. So, you’ll need to repeat whatever action brought you to the dig in the first place.

Thanks very much. I’ll hold off on forming the parish council then.

Do I get to a dig via the option in Ealing Gardens or via a card, or will either work?

Any option that brings you to the “Sort the Results of Excavation” story should work - though, as far as I’m aware, doing it via a card is a more efficient use of resources.

I believe there is still the possibility to get your soul back randomly in a Bundle of Oddities. Not exactly reliable, but still possible.