Weekly Fallen London Questions, 01/02/2021

Wa-hey! It’s February 1st - February Fools’ Day! Remember to put a spoonful of jam in your socks, or else you’ll be the February Fool! Also, here’s this week’s quick questions thread.

So, fool if you do, fool if you don’t, that’s how it is?

How do you think the existence of talking rodents has affected Groundhog Day? Today theoretically begins the thirteenth year of Punxsutawney Phil’s fortune-telling reign. Do we have groundhogs down here? I could’ve sworn I had a marmot at some point…

Fallen London’s Groundhog Day consists of a groundhog burrowing down from the surface. If it falls from the ceiling we have six more weeks of neath-winter.

Looks like there has been some updates around Heists. One new Heist added, and the Target Security attribute has been opened up. Also some existing Heists have been bumped up to previously-unseen levels of Target Security (beyond Triple-Bolted), which adds new and exciting cards. The newest & exciting-est being a Glasswork challenge to pick a lock, only encountered via the Discerning Deviless.

Groundhog Day? Until that Bill Murray movie came out nobody in the UK had heard of it. So I very much doubt that inhabitants of the Neath have either. Unless the Devils have somehow nabbed a copy from the future and are smuggling VCRs and TVs into London for people to watch it on.

With the Unsympathetic Landlord, you START with only two points of Cat Like Tread.
This, combined with the fact Heists are now on the Lab and Flash Lay dynamic of an infinite draw pool in conjunction with a nondiscardable three card hand, makes me rather upset.

The Unsympathetic Landlord heist started me just now with 3 points of Cat-Like Tread. Maybe it was updated in the last couple of hours.

I’m having an issue writing letters. In that I can’t. I can do the option to send it, select the person, but I can’t personalize it or add my own text. I can’t do it on any social action. The box to type just disappears on me.

The same thing happens when I try to use the search function on the myself and possessions page.
edited by Winthropx on 2/4/2021

It’s fixed now!
edited by Winthropx on 2/4/2021

Never mind.
edited by Winthropx on 2/5/2021

Is it better to use your Newspaper or Hepheasta to grind Surveys?

That’s kinda complicated.

With Haphaesta supervising a visionary student, you can get 25 surveys in a total of 6 actions (1 to choose the research, 4 to get the research, 1 to finish) for a total of 4.16 surveys per action. You do need to graduate students from time to time which reduces this. With a newspaper, you spend a whirring contraption and 19 actions (13 to publish the newspaper, 6 to gather rumors, need an opp card) to get 98 surveys.

Now, the most efficient way to get Whirring Contraptions is Wilmot’s End, which gives you 2 for 11 actions, so at the end of the day a full sustainable grind spends 49 actions for 196 surveys, for a total of 4 surveys per action, slightly less than the lab.

BUT, the newspaper also gives you 1000 rostygold over the course of the grind if you use theatrical accountancy and also 4 thighs of St. Fiacre, which have a potential value of over a hundred echoes and may well push this grind over 2 EPA without surveys. Overall, I’d heartily recommend the newspaper grind.
edited by NotaWalrus on 2/4/2021

When I ran a simulation on using hephaesta in the lab, adding in the actions to train up students dropped the surveys-per-action to under just under 4, so I think newspaper method is better even according to that. So I say definitely newspaper.

If you don’t have the Debonair Palaeontologist (or you don’t draw the Carpenter’s Daughter’s card) using the newspaper to get surveys gets a bit worse - you get 170 surveys in 47 actions for ~3.62 surveys per action.

Still probably better than the lab though - and the Palaeontologist shouldn’t be a problem after next week.

Could I get confirmation on the prices of the Bohemian Sculptress? According to the wiki she pays out 4+(skeleton value/250) surface blooms, but surface blooms are priced at 3 scrip or 150 pence. Is she buying skeletons at 60% value or is the wiki mistaken?
edited by NotaWalrus on 2/6/2021

[quote=NotaWalrus]Could I get confirmation on the prices of the Bohemian Sculptress? According to the wiki she pays out 4+(skeleton value/250) surface blooms, but surface blooms are priced at 3 scrip or 150 pence. Is she buying skeletons at 60% value or is the wiki mistaken?
edited by NotaWalrus on 2/6/2021[/quote]

The formula on the wiki is correct (though I’d interpret this as the sell price of surface blooms not reflecting their true value)

[quote=34Witches]
The formula on the wiki is correct (though I’d interpret this as the sell price of surface blooms not reflecting their true value)[/quote]
I’m not buying it. This makes her the only bone market buyer that doesn’t pay out commensurate to the sale price of her rewards, and furthermore means that, in terms of echo values, it is never worth it to sell her a skeleton under any circumstances in the sense that you can get more value from selling to anyone else.

I’ve sent a support ticket asking for confirmation of whether this is intended behavior. If it is, well the Sculptress is a newbie trap.
edited by NotaWalrus on 2/6/2021

The smuggling economy in the Upper River treats Surface Blooms as if they are worth 2.5 echoes. If I want bessemer ingots, I prefer the Sculptress as I can smuggle the blooms for 8% more steel than selling to the Industrialist, and also make mad cash on the side from the theological implications.

The sale price is weird, though. Thanks for sending in the ticket, although you’re likely not to hear back til Monday.

[quote=NotaWalrus][quote=34Witches]
The formula on the wiki is correct (though I’d interpret this as the sell price of surface blooms not reflecting their true value)[/quote]
I’m not buying it. This makes her the only bone market buyer that doesn’t pay out commensurate to the sale price of her rewards, and furthermore means that, in terms of echo values, it is never worth it to sell her a skeleton under any circumstances in the sense that you can get more value from selling to anyone else.

I’ve sent a support ticket asking for confirmation of whether this is intended behavior. If it is, well the Sculptress is a newbie trap.
edited by NotaWalrus on 2/6/2021[/quote]

I mean, there’s two buyers (the Enthusiast and the Zailor) who pay out in items that can’t be sold at all - surely they’re worse offenders?

(in practice, the Sculptress functions similarly to these two - you sell to them if and only if you specifically want the item they pay out with)

I have way more steel than I need, because I’ve been attaching relics of St. Fiacre to skeletons to sell to her and smuggling the blooms in the hope that some time in the future the steel will be redeemable for about 50p each. I’m glad someone sent the support email, though, because it feels wrong that the blooms are undervalued like that.

Is there a good way to spend Investigating? I think I’ve done all story-related things and can’t remember a way to sistematically cash in…