Walkthrough/Cheats

Is there a walkthrough or set of cheats that will take me through the game? I bought this game because I liked fallen london’s storyline and wanted to explore these places, but I’m having a hell of a time trying to do that. I’ve played this game over multiple lives and hours, but my navigational chart never reached further than the nearby islands. I had one runthrough that went fairly well by farming pirates ships to build up a sizeable bank, but I lost all my money when I ran into this warship that oneshot my hull.

Honestly, I’m pretty fed up with the gameplay in sunless sea. Does anyone have a god mode that would let me explore all the quests before I move on?
edited by Dudleydino on 7/3/2014

Well, you could turn on Mercy mode so you can manually save/reload.

Might seem a bit self-serving to use my first post for this, but I’ve started writing a walkthrough for the game. Don’t know how much it’ll help you NOW, buuuuut…

I went looking in the save file for a value for the player’s echoes, but I couldn’t find it. I’m not big on cheating but at this point I just want to not have to grind to build up that ~500 echo safety net.

The echoes could probably be done with a memory editor (Cheat Engine would be my recommendation).

Thanks, I’ll try Cheat Engine. I’ve used it before for flash games, hopefully it’ll work here.

I used cheat engine and it’s successful for changing echoes. After you first change it, the echoes don’t decrease in the store, but after some point they will and you’ll have to do another search for the value.

I have got a cheat based on the autosave system. If you get into an &quotoh no I am about to die&quot situation, hit Alt F4 before you die. When you start up Sunless sea again you are back in the last port if you choose &quotcontinue&quot. Of course if you are playing Merciful you can just load your last manual save.
edited by reveurciel on 7/4/2014

From personal experience, mucking around in your game files is a bad idea that does not end well. It often requires the game to load data from 2-3 different maps or worlds, and by doing so will make it impossible to play your game. Given that your save is one file, it’s not editable anyway. Save-scumming is the closest thing the game has to cheating, though.

Haha what? Just open the save file with a text editor. There are phone games that have harder to edit save files then Sunless Sea.

Exactly this. Save files in windows are stored in AppData/LocalLow/Failbetter Games/Sunless Sea/saves/*.json
do a ctl+f for the current amount of money you have and if it comes up in more than one location go back into the game and buy/sell a few things and try again until you only get 1 found, then change the number to give yourself a couple hundred echos. Though I should warn you, the game is a lot less thrilling on god mode so only do it after you have exhausted the game and are just looking to write strategy guides or whatever.

Freezing the values for Terror/Supply/Fuel/Echoes/Hull is pretty easy. I haven’t tried finding the value for crew yet though.

Exactly this. Save files in windows are stored in AppData/LocalLow/Failbetter Games/Sunless Sea/saves/*.json
do a ctl+f for the current amount of money you have and if it comes up in more than one location go back into the game and buy/sell a few things and try again until you only get 1 found, then change the number to give yourself a couple hundred echos. Though I should warn you, the game is a lot less thrilling on god mode so only do it after you have exhausted the game and are just looking to write strategy guides or whatever.[/quote]
Great, how do I resurrect the likely lass ;P?

There’s plenty of ways to easily make 500 echoes at the start of the game. Selling one judgement Egg, which you can get by searching the shore of Mutton Island (quest), is one easy way. Selling 100 stacks of wine at Godfall will give you 450 echoes. Sailing around the map once in conjunction with an admiral’s commission and getting all the port reports will get you well underway, just be sure to dodge the lifebergs, placeholder ships, khanate ships, big pirate ships, unfinished pirate ships, bound sharks, mega sea-urchin, albino morays and of course Mt fricking whatshisname. You might need the Bruiser’s commission to make this trip though.

You can solo lifebergs with the starter ship. They can’t attack you unless they’re within 40m, so as long as you use the attack path Flee > Flee > Flare/Salvo you’ll be fine.

You can get some pretty awesome loot from them too. Not to mention that the light bouy near the coast south of Wither is a perfect place to farm. It’s right near the Lifeberg spawns and if your next to it you can kill both engines and lights without terror gains. Then all you have to do is sit and wait for the bergs to come after you without wasting any fuel at all.

Where do I get lamentable relics? I’ve massacred epic amounts of giant crabs to no avail… Ditto for lifebergs.

Those? Well I got 10 from the Citadel but you can also get them by hunting Bound Sharks and getting lucky on the Unidentifiable Mass.

[quote=Zee-Bat]Those? Well I got 10 from the Citadel but you can also get them by hunting Bound Sharks and getting lucky on the Unidentifiable Mass.[/quote]The Citadel? What Citadel? Where, where?!

Go to Godfall and there should be an option to explore the Citadel. Of course you need at least 5 candles but you’ll want at least 10 to be safe.