Update: Item Rarity?

[quote=suinicide]One thing I can’t help but point out is that the diamond ring isn’t ranked &quotprecious&quot, as it obviously should be.
My precious…[/quote]

Actually, Gollum’s &quotPrecious&quot was a plain gold band, with Elvish script upon it. :-)

[quote=an_ocelot]Cider doesn’t have a label yet, before you ask (but a bunch of stuff doesn’t, so maybe it’s coming).

&quotPrecious&quot:

• Mountain-sherd
    *A Sealed Copy of the Crimson Book
  • Judgements’ Egg
  • Vial of Cantigaster Venom
    edited by an_ocelot on 4/13/2016[/quote]
    Wow, you have a Mountain-sherd! Is it on your profile? I’d love to look at it.

Sorry for repeating your note about the Cantigaster Venom; I should have read back through the thread before posting.

Can someone check element of dawn? It looks like its basically guaranteed a “precious”, with the other two getting that rank.

Element of Dawn is rare.

My Element of Dawn is just Rare.

Wonder why that one’s different. Hope it becomes more common, I’ve wanted one for a long time.

Yeah, I’m guessing most of the seemingly out of place labels are simply an indicator that we’ll be seeing a new way of getting them in the near-ish future.

[quote=Catherine Raymond]Wow, you have a Mountain-sherd! Is it on your profile? I’d love to look at it. [/quote]It’s up; the image is just a diamond, and the text is, &quot[Precious] This was struck from the side of the Mountain-of-Light, who is the god called Stone. It is holy: treat it accordingly.&quot

Looking at my personal notes, I appear to have got one from a Charitably Mysterious Bundle and the other from Flint, Part I.

Also I am suppressing the urge to make a list of things that don’t have labels yet, on the ground that FGB ought to have automated tools to tell them that and therefore it would be a waste of time, but my completist self is itching with the desire to.

Now what I want to know is the rarity of a Ratty Reliquary. Anyone here lucky enough to grab one?

(On a slightly unrelated note, I find it interesting that Judgement’s Eggs and Vital Intelligence were available through the the charity bundle but not the Christmas bundle.)

Mid-December at latest, as a comment on its wiki page attests.

Aside from selling the Cave of the Nadir location, Master’s Blood is card-based as well, even if said cards can be forced. But I’d say it’s definitely rarer than Coveted considering that, if converting Airag into Tears, you pay an additional 625 echoes in lost Airag value on top of the 7 Notability and value of the Tears. Similarly, the Impossible Theorem costs almost twice its monetary value in Searing Enigmas, even ignoring the 100 echo and Searing Enigma fine on failure.

The Ratty Reliquary is rare.

Huh, that’s farther back than I had anticipated! I clearly do not pay enough attention to my inventory.

One additional label I’d like to see is “Limited”, indicating that something is only available a limited number of times or can even only be obtained once. This would be irrespective of value or usefulness. Early on I spent 2/3 case notes writing a story, because I assumed that case notes were a commonplace item, not a rare thing you can only obtain three of ever. Some of us are collectors and don’t want to sell off special items like that.

Fragment of the Tragedy Procedures is also Precious.

And missing from the wiki. Was it taken off? I thought I’d looked it up there before.

[quote=Harlocke]One additional label I’d like to see is &quotLimited&quot, indicating that something is only available a limited number of times or can even only be obtained once.[/quote]Makes sense. Or &quotIrreplaceable&quot.

I can confirm that the Rumourmonger/master change happened on 18th September 2015, after I emailed support@failbettergames.com about it.

How does one get an ‘Element of Dawn’ ?

I got mine from Flint. I think one of the item randomizers from a while back could also give you one if you got the necessary value, but obviously that was pretty random and is no longer available.

Yeah, I got my Element of Dawn from a Charitably Mysterious Bundle.

This is a pretty nifty update, but I’m having a really hard time getting the adjectives sorted in my head. I would have thought that a coveted object is more rare than a ‘rare’ object, and maybe more rare than a precious object. My trouble with it is that there are three adjectives that describe rarity (commonplace, scarce, and rare) and two that describe quality (coveted and precious), and I tend to think of the former as having high quality for a lot of people and the latter as having high quality for the individual. E.g., my (nonexistent) fancy car is coveted; my niece is precious. Using adjectives like ‘uncommon’ or ‘singular’ or ‘irreplaceable’ instead of ‘coveted’ and ‘precious’ would make much more sense to me.