To Overgoat, or not to Overgoat?

So my Abs is a secretive sort, this is probably no big surprise to those who RP with me. I reflect this on a few levels, one of which is inventory. I don’t think I have ever sold any of my Whispered Secrets or Cryptic Clues.

Currently I’m at around 24k of each, give or take 2k depending on which one we’re talking about.

Given the rest of my inventory I could easily dump my Secrets and Clues and get an Overgoat. However I’m torn, I love having my Secrets and Clues, and I like that I’ve never been willing to part with any of them. It’s an odd kind of RP-thing, but there it is.

Then again … . I’m all about giving up Anything in pursuit of a worthy goal. So if the Overgoat is a worthwhile goal I’ll do it, but I don’t really know if an Overgoat is worthwhile. (it’s also remotely possible I could wreck most of the rest of my inventory and have enough to get an Overgoat without selling my Secrets or Clues, but I doubt it.)

Which brings up my question: Is the Overgoat worth it?

Does it have anything cool?

{edit for words, B____y Words.}
edited by absimiliard on 6/21/2016

Eh, if you’re only short the value of 20-25k whispered hints and cryptic clues, I’d say just farm that up separately, since it’s only about ~750 echoes or so of value. That’s less than a week of pretty intensive grinding, might as well keep all your secrets. =)

The goat isn’t too impressive. It comes in handy for capping SotC, and the action on it’s card is quite nice, but it doesn’t do much else afaik.
edited by ArtificerProdigy on 6/21/2016

The goat is a must-have for the fastest option on expeditions, which is where they really become a great grind when you have dock’s favors, but you might not be able to access that option even with a mere overgoat- (I can access it, without needing a mood, with a goat, no fate items, and a watchful destiny. You’ll need a destiny or a watchful overcap for 100% success rate, or, of course, an ubergoat- the number to hit is 264, IIRC. ).

It also unlocks an option on its card that, while highly prone to failure (~50% success rate for me), pays 25 echoes on success, and 2.5 on failure, for 8 actions.

it also unlocks a reliable one that pays 2.5 echoes on the almost-certain success.

In addition, if watchful renown caps work like the others did, then with an ubergoat you’ll be able to hit renown 50- with a mood, but without a destiny or a POSI specialization.
edited by Grenem on 6/21/2016

[quote=absimiliard]So my Abs is a secretive sort, this is probably no big surprise to those who RP with me. I reflect this on a few levels, one of which is inventory. I don’t think I have ever sold any of my Whispered Secrets or Cryptic Clues.

Currently I’m at around 24k of each, give or take 2k depending on which one we’re talking about.

Given the rest of my inventory I could easily dump my Secrets and Clues and get an Overgoat. However I’m torn, I love having my Secrets and Clues, and I like that I’ve never been willing to part with any of them. It’s an odd kind of RP-thing, but there it is.

Then again … . I’m all about giving up Anything in pursuit of a worthy goal. So if the Overgoat is a worthwhile goal I’ll do it, but I don’t really know if an Overgoat is worthwhile. (it’s also remotely possible I could wreck most of the rest of my inventory and have enough to get an Overgoat without selling my Secrets or Clues, but I doubt it.)

Does it have anything cool?[/quote]

I like it, especially for access to this action on an already-existing Opportunity Card, but if you would rather keep Secrets there’s no reason why you can’t delay your Goat for another time - especially when the decision has RP value. :-)

I would say yes it’s worth having a goat, because in my opinion I’m glad to have it. Your mileage may vary.
For you, however, perhaps you would take pride in not telling the Bazaar a single goddamned thing, while still getting your terrifying hell-beast by trading other less-mysterious items. ^_^

I have an Ubergoat and for me it was very much worth it. That said, it is only strictly necessary in a few cases. Specifically, it makes expeditions faster and more reliable and it opens up extremely high levels of Scholar of the Correspondence. The Scholar of the Correspondence in particular was a major selling point for me. Plus it comes with a certain air of caprine prestige.

If those things appeal to you then go for it. If not, then don’t. There’s no reason to rush into goat ownership.

It’s sounding like I will want the Goat eventually, but don’t really need it right now.

Kittenpox’s point that Abs would take pride in not telling the Bazaar a single god-damned thing is really telling as well.

Guess it’s time to grind out some more echoes.

Thanks folks.

The Goat is very worthwhile since it helps with several difficult-but-profitable Watchful challenges, unlocks its own highly profitable but difficult challenge, and of course boosts profitability for options scaling with Watchful*. Plus it’s 10 Watchful more than the next best companion, and that one is difficult to obtain even ignoring the Fate cost.

If you haven’t already done so, I recommend checking your net worth with the Goat Farmer extension for Chrome. That way you can get a better idea of how much money you have on hand, how much you need, and how that changes if you reserve items like the secrets to not sell.

*Don’t forget the most common non-Fate option that scales pays out in Cryptic Clues ;)
edited by Optimatum on 6/21/2016

[quote=Optimatum]The Goat is very worthwhile since it helps with several difficult-but-profitable Watchful challenges, unlocks its own highly profitable but difficult challenge, and of course boosts profitability for options scaling with Watchful*. Plus it’s 10 Watchful more than the next best companion, and that one is difficult to obtain even ignoring the Fate cost.

If you haven’t already done so, I recommend checking your net worth with the Goat Farmer extension for Chrome. That way you can get a better idea of how much money you have on hand, how much you need, and how that changes if you reserve items like the secrets to not sell.

*Don’t forget the most common non-Fate option that scales pays out in Cryptic Clues ;)
edited by Optimatum on 6/21/2016[/quote]

The watchful scaling option you mention (Wry Functionary) scales off of base watchful so a goat isn’t going to help you.

[quote=Optimatum]The Goat is very worthwhile since it helps with several difficult-but-profitable Watchful challenges, unlocks its own highly profitable but difficult challenge, and of course boosts profitability for options scaling with Watchful*. Plus it’s 10 Watchful more than the next best companion, and that one is difficult to obtain even ignoring the Fate cost.

Out of curiosity, what scaling options are there for watchful other than mechanics of progress? The only other scaling reward that comes to mind is the drunken rat for shadowy.

[quote=An Individual][quote=Optimatum]The Goat is very worthwhile since it helps with several difficult-but-profitable Watchful challenges, unlocks its own highly profitable but difficult challenge, and of course boosts profitability for options scaling with Watchful*. Plus it’s 10 Watchful more than the next best companion, and that one is difficult to obtain even ignoring the Fate cost.

The watchful scaling option you mention (Wry Functionary) scales off of base watchful so a goat isn’t going to help you.[/quote]

I think they mean the Mechanics of Progress - I have received my watchful with bonus items in Cryptic Clues of course I have also got 1 Cryptic Clue from it as well.

[quote=lady ciel ][quote=An Individual][quote=Optimatum]The Goat is very worthwhile since it helps with several difficult-but-profitable Watchful challenges, unlocks its own highly profitable but difficult challenge, and of course boosts profitability for options scaling with Watchful*. Plus it’s 10 Watchful more than the next best companion, and that one is difficult to obtain even ignoring the Fate cost.

The watchful scaling option you mention (Wry Functionary) scales off of base watchful so a goat isn’t going to help you.[/quote]

I think they mean the Mechanics of Progress - I have received my watchful with bonus items in Cryptic Clues of course I have also got 1 Cryptic Clue from it as well.[/quote]

Right, of course. I keep forgetting about that one because my luck is atrocious.

There’s also a couple Fate-locked ones such as one ending to the Blemmigan Affair.

Here’s a list of them: community.failbettergames.com/topic21266-leveldependant-rewards-spoilers.aspx

[quote=absimiliard]So my Abs is a secretive sort, this is probably no big surprise to those who RP with me. I reflect this on a few levels, one of which is inventory. I don’t think I have ever sold any of my Whispered Secrets or Cryptic Clues.

edited by absimiliard on 6/21/2016[/quote]

Don’t be silly, of course you want a goat! But not until you already own everything else echoes can buy.

Take your CC to Empire Adornments and convert them into bags of flawed diamonds, which you can then sell at the bazaar. There, dilemma solved.

(The WH I’d save for conversion into expedition supplies.)
edited by Mizadil on 6/21/2016

Alternatively, convert all the Clues to Appalling Secrets and drown them. Seek the Name for no good reason!

edited by absimiliard on 6/21/2016[/quote]
Honestly, knowing you, you’d probably wish to keep your secrets to yourself if solely for the purpose to spite the Bazaar’s wishes. You could always sell Cryptic Clues for flawed diamonds, or seek the name with them as others have suggested. If you have enough of the bloody things, you could continuously convert them to build up supplies for creating an Impossible Theorem, or convert them all into Tales of Terror to further convert them for easy Making Waves. Whispered Hints aren’t worth converting, so your best bet without selling them to the Bazaar is to trade them for supplies at the Forgotten Quarter. Don’t give that bloody Bazaar a single hint about what’s REALLY going on with the citizens of London, ESPECIALLY with that amount. You’ll doom London herself and us along with her!

Bad Optimatum, tempting me to Seek. You know I want to, but I’m being good for now. But ooohhhhh, the Shiny Red Button!! (honestly, not Seeking, seriously honestly, still have stuff to do in the game!)

I think Kittenpox and Sir Joseph have it. Better to keep my secrets, even if just to taunt the Bazaar, and gossip w. cats on the roof.

A goat lets you get more Clues; as well as Echoes and SotC and whatever can be obtained by Watchful.
A big stack of Clues sitting in your inventory might as well be a big stack of Clues on fire, for all the good it does you.
An Overgoat also shows the rest of London that you’ve arrived; it’s a milestone that shows you’re a player to be reckoned with.
In terms of RP, an Overgoat lets you see things otherwise unseen in Fallen London.

The question is, is your character the sort of person who wants to discover secrets, or simply keep the ones she has?

Functionally, the Overgoat is but a stepping stone towards the Ubergoat for all your Watchful needs.

Gods no. Even to goat at all would mean selling nearly everything I have and all my secrets. An ubergoat . … that way lies insanity.

Oh Nigel, why must you OR this on me? Surely you must have heard that I’m quite insistent on preferring AND.

I wish … well, let it be said, &quot… she is the sort who wants to discover secrets AND wants to keep the ones he has as well …&quot

Can’t you see how much more deliciously that trips off the tongue? Consider surely; would you prefer we drink Broken Giant OR Absinthe? Or would you not rather prefer that we drink Broken Giant AND Absinthe?

It really is all about the AND.
edited by absimiliard on 6/22/2016