Thoroughly Maddening Millie (Lilac! *shakes fist*)

Oh, Lady in Lilac why must you hide from me so!! :puppy:

I saw some posts already along this vein being talked about, and I sympathies greatly; so I thought I’d start a separate thread to discus everyone’s favourite irrigo irritant.

Not to worry; I understand that the Feast cards are intended to work the way they do. Making Lilac hard to find fits well with her story; and frustration is exciting (sort of) in it’s own masochistic way. (That and I now suspect the mighty RNG [All praise it’s glorious name!!] has escaped from its bonds in FBG’s basement and now seeks to create a real Unterzee filled with FL players’ sweet delicious tears… ;) )

I know she’ll turn up eventually… I hope… :cry:

So, this is not really intended as feedback per se, but I thought it might be helpful to have somewhere to vent collective frustration, no matter how impotent. Perhaps turn that energy into suggesting ideas for possible improvements/tweaks to the FotER system while we all wait for the tardy Mrs Clathermont to finally make her appearance? (Or the An Encounters at the Feast card, if that one is getting to you as well).

Perhaps gather some ideas for card deck trimming to improve the draw rate of Feast of the Rose cards as well? Or questions about the current mechanics/story? Whatever would be most helpful :)

Here then are my own ideas on the lovely Millicent for what they may be worth :)

• Perhaps Lilac might work well a little like the Mr. Sacks cards at Christmas?

FBG release a card at the beginning of the Feast of the Rose that starts the story off (either a card with a really high frequency rating or maybe a universal storylet). Then have cards in the deck that have the player catching sight of/ actively searching for Lilac. A glimpse of purple in a crowded room, spotting her loitering at a dance etc. etc. Again the frequency of these would then increase exponentially as the Feast went ever on. It would also be a good way to expand on her character and so not have newer players ask, ‘Who is this woman?’ (As it’s not really obvious if you are still new enough to not be yet started on the Clathermont story).

Edit: I see Lilac character’s and motive is already well covered by the questions you can ask at the Panopticon- but I still think it would be fun to see examples of her Irrigo-magic in action while trying to chase her down.

With each card that they played, the player could gain points toward a ‘Finding Lilac’ value unlocked by the initial story/card. (Maybe let the player gain a little masqueing on each of these card as well?) Then when the player has played enough cards to track down Lilac at the Panopticon/catch her in a net, have her Parlour open up permanently to them until the end of the feast, just like it does with tattoos. (There could even be a small value fate option on the tracking cards to find her lair more quickly? Not an uncontroversial suggestion I know; but if someone has payed a lot of money to get a great horde of fate-locked feast gifts I imagine they might be willing to pay 2 or 3 more to meet Lilac all the quicker?? Especially if that option also had fun text/extra lore/masqueing with it.)

Then once they’d finally found Lilac and her Parlour the player could exchange gifts/get tattoos/new companions with a little more leisure. Using much the same system from then on as Penstock’s Wicket. (I suppose you could even work it into the Irrigo system in some way if there was a need to limit the frequency of visits further? Although I imagine that would probably be very tricky to make work)

This all likely has lots of flaws to it (which of course is why I offer it up to criticism :-) ), but I think something like this would keep some of the random element, fits fairly well with Lilac’s story (and could even add to it as the player would have a greater in game role in looking for her); and also maybe be a little less anxiety inducing? This all would of course be an awful lot of work for FBG, but that’s not going to stop me from suggesting it :greenp: -

Edit: On a little further thought -A much simpler idea. Why not let players exchange feast gifts for masqueing in the current tattoo parlour? Then players would only need to find Lilac once each feast, rather than repeatedly track her down.

And finally to try to summon the Lilac Lady through song… Who knows it might work? :) (Really, really hope there’s an access code this year)

[i]Edit: Song does work!- I just saw a lovely play about dragons :-)

[/i]

edited by Charlotte_de_Witte on 2/22/2016

I drew her twice already… now that i have no use for her…
1 action for 8 points persuasive is pretty good, i suppose.

What if we can recommend an acquaintance like the Amanuensis card? Like “Ms. Lilac, I think you should visit my friend so and so. She has lots of teeth and tongues.”

I like this idea a lot, it’s a small tweak with a large impact and adds to the social aspect of the Feast :) I’d add that such an option might even be thematically restricted to other players you are Seen With? - ‘No thank-you. I don’t want to fill in your questionnaire again Ms. Lilac, why not ask my partner instead?’

Honestly the Feast card is the one I’m lacking in right now. I only need the Lilac card once per Fate companion, but I need the Feast one maybe 15 times each. And it’s just so profitable!

Hello, people! Can you explain the following thing? Masking is exchanged for companions. Non-fated Masking cap is 30. I have 30. Should I keep exchanging gifts (to trade them for Masking one more time in the future) if I want more companions or is it possible to exchange it for a companion just once?

Lilac seems to hate me. I got her once, to start the tattoo quest. And then, nothing more.

I have drawn the feast card once, and got the cutest companion out of the list (Costermonger). I need Lilac and the Feast to both show up again, if I hope to get Lettice, though. The Pentacost Ape and the Diplomat are also on my priority list. Maybe Ghostly Presence, too, because why not? Hopefully, things go well, and I at least get them. Preferably, I get everyone common this year.

What does Lilac do with the hundreds of glasses of teeth that she receives each year, anyways? The other gifts, I can see some use for, but not the teeth.
edited by th8827 on 2/17/2016

To get masquing, you can use options on the Feast of the Rose card to raise it to 20. Thereafter, you should use non-Fate gifts to get it to 30; and beyond 30, Fate gifts. Note that you can always use gifts (Fate or non-Fate) to raise masquing from 0, it is merely a waste of resources since masquing up to 20 can be got for the price of only an action, while the gifts need actions (one from your friend, and one from you) and resources.

If you want a companion worth more than 30 masquing, then yes, you need the Lilac card to trade in Fate gifts to do that. But if you only want non-Fate companions, i.e. those that require 30 masquing or below, then increasing your masquing above 30 only means that you are spending Fate items for no compelling reason aside from expediency. The better way is to raise masquing to whatever you need, trade it in for a companion and then rinse and repeat.

[quote=th8827]Lilac seems to hate me. I got her once, to start the tattoo quest. And then, nothing more.

I have drawn the feast card once, and got the cutest companion out of the list (Costermonger). I need Lilac and the Feast to both show up again, if I hope to get Lettice, though. The Pentacost Ape and the Diplomat are also on my priority list. Maybe Ghostly Presence, too, because why not? Hopefully, things go well, and I at least get them. Preferably, I get everyone common this year.

What does Lilac do wit the hundreds of glasses of teeth that she receives each year, anyways? The other gifts, I can see some use for, but not the teeth.
edited by th8827 on 2/17/2016[/quote]

You’re luckier than me - Lilac is simply avoiding me. I think I have too many Intimate of Devils cards clogging up my deck, but I can’t afford to bring it down till I get the Quiet Deviless. I got the Presbyterate Diplomat with the Encounters at the Feast card and am now anxiously waiting for Lilac to finally turn up so I can nab a Lettice and my beloved Revolutionary Firebrand Reforged. (Sorry, Myrto my intended, if you’re reading this! I know we have an arrangement, but it is after one of convenience ;p)
edited by navchaa on 2/17/2016

Racy poetry is always popular. Pickled liars-tongues are great antipasto year-round, and buttered chess-pieces are delicious on toast-points. Singed playing cards are useful in any card game, and pink-painted cats can catch any-color rat any time, any day.

Maybe she keeps the glasses of teeth for later, to replace any that might be lost trying sweets like Mr Heart’s candied hearts. I bit my tongue and a couple of someone else’s the last time I tried those.

Ha! There I was thinking she had rodentine teeth that grow and grow and need constant replacing?

Specifically:

• Use the pinned storylet &quotCelebrate the Feast of the Exceptional Rose!&quot to exchange gifts.[/li][li]Use the (Ubiquitous Frequency) card &quotThe Feast of the Rose!&quot to get Masquing up to 20 (or 21).[/li][li]Use the (Frequent Frequency) card &quotThe Lady in Lilac to surrender gifts for Masquing (non-Fate gifts only raise Masquing up to 30, Fate gifts can raise Masquing without a cap)[/li][li]Use the (Frequent Frequency) card &quotAn Encounter at the Feast&quot to exchange Masquing for unique companions.

So, if you anticipate you’ll need more Masquing over-20 for more companions, feel free to keep exchanging gifts. Just be midful of the caps when you plan to convert them to Masquing.

Note that if you have a Brass Embassy Sanctum the Quiet Deviless is available year-round for 40 Fate (and a Portfolio of Souls) rather than 70 Fate of gifts and lots of actions/items worth of Masquing.[li]

Ah, so the text that says she is not usually available doesn’t mean that she’s seasonal? That’s very helpful indeed! I was intending to use the 40 Fate option all along, just that I thought the devs forgot to put away the Christmas goodies and was grinding to get it before she disappears till next Christmas. In any case, I’m just a few CP away from Intimate 10, so all I need to do is pick her up and then sell my soul posthaste. Thank you!

[quote=th8827]

What does Lilac do wit the hundreds of glasses of teeth that she receives each year, anyways? The other gifts, I can see some use for, but not the teeth. [/quote]

Maybe she gets a really sweet deal with the Tooth-Fairy? ;)

Or… one could even say, sharklike dentata

She does seem to enjoy dodging me as well, same with encounter at the feast. I have got both a few times, but also ended up using a little fate to draw a few more hands of cards. I just hope that changing to a remote address will help abit.

Also I don’t think she is a big fan of getting well songs, I can’t imagine why.

I finally drew Lilac once and am now pleased to announce that my Revolutionary Firebrand is indeed, erhem, Reforged. (What a euphemism, eh eh?)

Day 3. Still no Lilac.

I’ll be most unhappy if it turns out I spent all that Fate for nothing because I won’t have the time to cash it in. grumbles

[quote=genesis]Day 3. Still no Lilac.

I’ll be most unhappy if it turns out I spent all that Fate for nothing because I won’t have the time to cash it in. grumbles[/quote]
If you’re worried about that, why didn’t you wait until you had the card in you hand before spending Fate?

I’m more or less done with her, but i have two friends that are desperate to get their tatoos and are just waiting. i feel sad for them ;-;