The Wry Functionary and the Admiralty

I don’t recall that locking you out, though. When I played it having 5 Masters just adds a line, and both options bring you to the same set of content. Haven’t tried the option not requiring anything, but the other two are fine.

Would one of you delicious people mind dropping me a private line? I’ve just dropped nex for a second chance, and I’d like to make the most of it.

Well, I still don’t have “A Visit”. But I got “Functionary at Work” and started some kind of investigation. I like it so far, my only complaint would be that passing every single challenge did not amount to much. The story just continues and all my Subtle and Connected suggestions do not change what is happening at all. But well, it’s still interesting and any new content is appreciated. I’ll comment on the Visit when I get it.

People with serious interest in gathering results please message me.

Apart from magnanimous, hedonist and austere, or visiting the Iron Republic and paying fate, is there any way to raise your other quirks to 10? As far as I can see they are capped at 9.

[quote=Alexis Kennedy]
[color=rgb(0, 153, 0)]But of course some of our players like irrevocability much more than others. I often end up modulating my creative preferences (or Adam’s, or Emily’s). [/color][color=rgb(0, 153, 0)]The Wry Functionary is experimental content in all sorts of ways, and it’s very interesting to see how people have reacted to it. My strong inclination is to find ways to signal irrevocability more effectively in the future - but we’ll keep on listening and planning. Thanks, all![/color][/quote]

Alexis, at least for me, it’s not the fact that the content is irrevocable that bothers me. It’s two things. First, that the irrevocability isn’t signalled at all; since choices don’t cost actions, it appears that you can continue the conversation as long as you’re interested, until suddenly you can’t progress any more. Second, it’s the reasons for losing access to this part of the game. It seems to me that if you’re going to lock people out of content to provide &quota sense of consequence,&quot it should be the consequence of either trying something obviously very risky and failing, doing something obviously very inadvisable, or making a deliberate choice that your character wouldn’t do something required to pursue a certain story further.

I’m trying to discuss this without spoilers as per request, but … if I’d been locked out after trying and failing a very hard quirk check, I still would have been annoyed at not knowing I wouldn’t get another chance later, but at least I’d have known what I did wrong. But as far as I can tell, I was locked out after a branch that didn’t have any quirk check associated with it; I made a suggestion that seemed like the appropriate thing to say given what he’d told me, he hated the suggestion, and that was it.

Apparently I guessed wrong, and I’m not sure why that’s something the narrative should punish by making content irrevocably unavailable. It feels like a pretty stiff penalty for failing to read the game writers’ minds, and that’s my main frustration.

I have a question: is it actually possible for a character to play all three branches (Mother, Admiralty, Duchess) or are you locked out of the others once you started on one of them?

Because I’ve completed the Functionary’s Past storyline couple days ago, but never saw so much as a hint to the other two… I wouldn’t even know they existed were it not for people mentioning them here!

As one suddenly blocked out of it, I too worry about this handling of things; you give us pretty so much repeatable storylets, and didn’t even by single word inform us there IS some kind of irreversibility?

Personally, I had a fairly good idea of which options lead to progress from others’ journals, and actually decided not to pursue the full plot with the family, because I thought those options too dishonest. I did enjoy the admiralty side of the story, though, for similar reasons!

Oh, ok. I’ll just wait for the &quotA Visit&quot card then and continue the storyline. Thanks!

There’s something with the Duchess too?

[quote=penknife][quote=Alexis Kennedy]
[color=rgb(0, 153, 0)]But of course some of our players like irrevocability much more than others. I often end up modulating my creative preferences (or Adam’s, or Emily’s). [/color][color=rgb(0, 153, 0)]The Wry Functionary is experimental content in all sorts of ways, and it’s very interesting to see how people have reacted to it. My strong inclination is to find ways to signal irrevocability more effectively in the future - but we’ll keep on listening and planning. Thanks, all![/color][/quote]

Alexis, at least for me, it’s not the fact that the content is irrevocable that bothers me. It’s two things. First, that the irrevocability isn’t signalled at all; since choices don’t cost actions, it appears that you can continue the conversation as long as you’re interested, until suddenly you can’t progress any more. Second, it’s the reasons for losing access to this part of the game. It seems to me that if you’re going to lock people out of content to provide &quota sense of consequence,&quot it should be the consequence of either trying something obviously very risky and failing, doing something obviously very inadvisable, or making a deliberate choice that your character wouldn’t do something required to pursue a certain story further.

I’m trying to discuss this without spoilers as per request, but … if I’d been locked out after trying and failing a very hard quirk check, I still would have been annoyed at not knowing I wouldn’t get another chance later, but at least I’d have known what I did wrong. But as far as I can tell, I was locked out after a branch that didn’t have any quirk check associated with it; I made a suggestion that seemed like the appropriate thing to say given what he’d told me, he hated the suggestion, and that was it.

Apparently I guessed wrong, and I’m not sure why that’s something the narrative should punish by making content irrevocably unavailable. It feels like a pretty stiff penalty for failing to read the game writers’ minds, and that’s my main frustration.[/quote]

Transparency was definitely part of my problem with it. The 0 action thing meant I beat my head against it for a very long time without knowing that I had locked myself out of anything, and I only figured that out because of the forum. Same with the Admiralty branch, I thought I had locked myself out of it until the card finally popped up. It was incredibly frustrating.

Apparently. Somebody mentioned it earlier in this thread, but that’s the only thing I’ve heard about it.

I’ve only played love so far, I just went in circles on the admiralty and never saw the duchess option. I don’t think I’m locked out of anything though, just haven’t gotten the right airs yet. I loved what I did play, but it would be nice if it told you “that’s all for now, try this again later” instead of letting you go around in circles though.

The only thing involving the Duchess I’ve seen is a single option that doesn’t go anywhere.

I second that question. All my quirks have been nuked by the Mutton Island Fesitval…

The admiralty has a new opportunity card that starts off a story; perhaps the duchess has one too, but if so I haven’t turned it up yet.

I do agree it’s a bit hard to tell if you’ve been locked out of something or if you’ve reached the natural end of the story/are waiting for a card. The admiralty card I played ended on something of a cliffhanger, and I’m not at all sure if I managed to pick the wrong option or if I’m waiting for the next part of the story (or if that part of the story is to come and hasn’t been written yet!). It wasn’t obvious!

I did really enjoy the choices on the admiralty card though; great fun to interact with the functionary in a new and and interesting way! I hope there is more.

Admiralty has a follow up card. Probably more than one. I hope.

I got A Visit finally. Success at the melancholy challenge looped me back to the opening, failure at Acquaintance just closed the card. I don’t think it locked me out, since no properties were changed. It does not seem as bad a people are saying.

[quote=Fhoenix]Admiralty has a follow up card. Probably more than one. I hope.

I got A Visit finally. Success at the melancholy challenge looped me back to the opening, failure at Acquaintance just closed the card. I don’t think it locked me out, since no properties were changed. It does not seem as bad a people are saying.[/quote]

That is not what locks people out of things. It’s a random, unrelated check that doesn’t do anything interesting if you succeeded. Which confused me greatly!

Check A Visit if/when you can. There miiiight be something there? maybe? It’s hard to tell, even though I’ve played through all (maybe) of the Admiralty stuff.
edited by MidnightVoyager on 10/5/2014

[quote=Rupho Schartenhauer]I have a question: is it actually possible for a character to play all three branches (Mother, Admiralty, Duchess) or are you locked out of the others once you started on one of them?
Because I’ve completed the Functionary’s Past storyline couple days ago, but never saw so much as a hint to the other two… I wouldn’t even know they existed were it not for people mentioning them here![/quote]

To answer my own question: I’ve just had the &quotFunctionary at Work&quot card which consequently started me on the Admiralty story, so it is definitely possible to play more than one branch.

Has anyone made any progress on the Duchess branch? All I’ve gotten it to do so far is remove my conversation topic. :|