The Wry Functionary and the Admiralty

This is my first post here; I apologise for any breach of decorum, but I hope that possible new content will mitigate my culpability.

Imgur

I got this quality from a new card in my Lodgings, where the Wry Functionary discusses the Admiralty’s duties, the non-performance thereof, and the possible relation to the Carnelian Coast.

Now I have these two storylets available.

Imgur

This is quite possibly my first time encountering new content as it’s being unveiled. WAT DO

How exciting! The topics of conversation seem to be similar to or the same as those one could discuss with Lilac, last Feast of the Rose…

I’m not sure either-- I spoke to him of love, and of his wife, but I fear I may have chosen the wrong option; consoling him rather than staying in silence. Now he doesn’t seem to want to talk about her anymore. I haven’t seen the card that opens up the information about the Admiralty yet.

[color=#C2B280]Edit: added spoiler tags.[/color]
edited by Flyte on 9/30/2014

Hmm. I’m getting zero action things with no subject lines to the results. It feels … unfinished? Or as if I’m too important to partake? But it seems to be functioning as intended. I’m enjoying getting him drunk, should do this to people more often.

Oh, I get to say hello to his mum.

OOH ERR GO SEE HIS MUM, SHE HAS THE GOSS’!
(ooooooh)
edited by babelfishwars on 9/30/2014

No, I’m a POSI and having the same. There must be something else we’re missing.

However, everytime you strike up a conversation with him, when you “Leave him for the evening”, you’ll get some Acquaintance: The Wry Functionary. And it costs no actions, which is probably a bug.

[quote=Loiathal]No, I’m a POSI and having the same. There must be something else we’re missing.

However, everytime you strike up a conversation with him, when you &quotLeave him for the evening&quot, you’ll get some Acquaintance: The Wry Functionary. And it costs no actions, which is probably a bug.[/quote]

It’s playable. I’m considering the no actions a gift. :-) It’s got some in-ter-es-ting stuff.

There is some amazing stuff, certainly. Go see his mother, all of you. And the &quotLeave him for the evening&quot option only increases the acquaintance up to level 9, so it’s not so broken, maybe?

[spoiler]If you are seeing the mother, I must advise raising Connected: the Masters to 5.

Unfortunately I am not so connected, and must rely on what meagre gleanings I can derive from Scholarship of the Correspondence.[/spoiler]

Where’s his mother? Is it a card?

wiggles eyebrows suggestively
You get him to tell you stuff that opens another branch from your home.

It’s a storylet. You have to speak to him about Affairs of the Heart, and get him to open up about his own love. The option to speak to his mother opens up eventually.

[color=#C2B280]Welcome, Edmond! You’re right: we just released a substantial chunk of new content by Emily Short. It’s around seven thousand words, although it won’t take long to complete, because the branches don’t cost actions. In fact, it’s almost entirely disconnected from the FL economy, like the conversation with Lilac at the Feast of the Rose.

You’ll need to be a close acquaintance of the Wry Functionary to play it: look for new options in your Lodgings. (Be warned: it may migrate to an opportunity card later.)

In addition to occasionally writing for Sunless Sea and Fallen London, Emily’s done some of the most interesting work on conversation in games. We’re very pleased with how it’s turned out, and look forward to hearing your thoughts. Please don’t post it on the wiki, though, or discuss details here without using spoiler tags: there are no economic hurdles to navigate, and this type of story works best unspoiled.[/color]

[quote=Flyte][color=#C2B280]Welcome, Edmond! You’re right: we just released a substantial chunk of new content by Emily Short. It’s around seven thousand words, although it won’t take long to complete, because the branches don’t cost actions. In fact, it’s almost entirely disconnected from the FL economy, like the conversation with Lilac at the Feast of the Rose.

You’ll need to be a close acquaintance of the Wry Functionary to play it: look for new options in your Lodgings. (Be warned: it may migrate to an opportunity card later.)

In addition to occasionally writing for Sunless Sea and Fallen London, Emily’s done some of the most interesting work on conversation in games. We’re very pleased with how it’s turned out, and look forward to hearing your thoughts. Please don’t post it on the wiki, though, or discuss details here without using spoiler tags: there are no economic hurdles to navigate, and this type of story works best unspoiled.[/color]
edited by Flyte on 9/30/2014[/quote]

Alright! Thank you, and sorry for not spoilering the details. The content is very interesting, and I certainly hope to hear more!

OK, now I have to ask:
What happens if you succeed at “Peek over his shoulder”?
It requires Air and extremely high subtle, and I know no way to raise mine higher than 6 now.

Time to start flipping cards at my lodging it appears

I just noticed it myself; it does look interesting, but to be honest it felt unfinished to me too. I thought someone might have taken the Key of dreams off it by mistake… I will try it again though.

I’m a big fan of deep conversations in games though! The StoryNexus thing I’m working on myself has some pretty detailed mechanics around conversation - a bit like the ones in Deus Ex: Human Revolution, if you’ve played that.

[quote=Edmond Dantes]This is my first post here; I apologise for any breach of decorum, but I hope that possible new content will mitigate my culpability.

Imgur

I got this quality from a new card in my Lodgings, where the Wry Functionary discusses the Admiralty’s duties, the non-performance thereof, and the possible relation to the Carnelian Coast.

Imgur

This is quite possibly my first time encountering new content as it’s being unveiled. WAT DO[/quote]

Please guide me with private message, how may I obtain similar result? Looks like all the branches are now closed and winded in itselves :(

How close an acquaintance with the Wry Functionary do you need to be?

[quote=Kharsirr Lynx][quote=Edmond Dantes]This is my first post here; I apologise for any breach of decorum, but I hope that possible new content will mitigate my culpability.

Imgur

Imgur

This is quite possibly my first time encountering new content as it’s being unveiled. WAT DO[/quote]

Please guide me with private message, how may I obtain similar result? Looks like all the branches are now closed and winded in itselves :([/quote]
I’m having a similar problem. I can’t seem to get in any further.

Level 5 I think.