The Wry Functionary and the Admiralty

&quotExplore the story of the Wry Functionary’s past&quot Oh yes!
&quotTo begin the story watch for the A Visit opportunity card.&quot Oh no!
&quotFor a limited time only, this may help…&quot Oh yes!
&quotYour acquaintance with the Wry Functionary has not changed because it’s hire than 5&quot Oh no!

Was my reaction to the letter. Why must it be a card? mumble, mumble
Also the servers are super slow, I went and tried to use the link on an alt, everything froze, now it says I’ve used it up, but I still don’t have the quality.
edited by Fhoenix on 10/4/2014

And how does one achieve Subtle 10 without both haring off to the Iron Republic and paying fate points?
The note on the Functionary card about Whispers from the Great Game seems like a cruel joke, in this regard.

[color=#009900]Skathes, Inky Petrel: no, we didn’t introduce the Nex reset as a scheme to swindle our players.[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
color=#009900 We’re not total dicks[/color]
color=#009900 if we wanted to make money with this, we’d have Nex-locked the whole thing. [/color]

[quote=Alexis Kennedy][color=#009900]Skathes, Inky Petrel: no, we didn’t introduce the Nex reset as a scheme to swindle our players.[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
color=#009900 We’re not total dicks[/color]
color=#009900 if we wanted to make money with this, we’d have Nex-locked the whole thing. [/color][/quote]

Speaking of, has the Wry Functionary been removed? I cannot find him despite having above 5 acquaintance points with him.

At any rate, thanks for making an appearance Alexis. Is there any chance that this recent update is a sign of new things to come in the future?

[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]I wouldn’t ever describe any tool as ‘broken’ on principle. I would venture to say that most other designers wouldn’t either. Or carpenters. Block planes, they’re rubbish! Chisels are better![/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]As it happens, I do enjoy the menace and promise of permanence in choice, when properly managed. [/color][color=rgb(0, 153, 0)]I built Fallen London in part because I was excited by the idea of a game with no reload function, and the tensions and effects that allows. [/color]
[color=rgb(0, 153, 0)]
[/color]
[color=rgb(0, 153, 0)]But of course some of our players like irrevocability much more than others. I often end up modulating my creative preferences (or Adam’s, or Emily’s). [/color][color=rgb(0, 153, 0)]The Wry Functionary is experimental content in all sorts of ways, and it’s very interesting to see how people have reacted to it. My strong inclination is to find ways to signal irrevocability more effectively in the future - but we’ll keep on listening and planning. Thanks, all![/color]

[quote=Owen Wulf]Speaking of, has the Wry Functionary been removed? I cannot find him despite having above 5 acquaintance points with him.

At any rate, thanks for making an appearance Alexis. Is there any chance that this recent update is a sign of new things to come in the future?

—[/quote]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]My pleasure! I’m frantically busy on SS, but I do keep an eye.[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]I believe he’s on his primary opportunity card now - he’ll be along.[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]

[color=#009900]New things to come - it’s an experiment. If we find people really like interacting with NPCs in this way, we’ll probably add more. We do have some other FL content on the way, too, which you probably saw us teasing the other day on Twitter - but a key team member’s been horribly ill, so that’s set us back a bit.[/color]

OK, feedback sent via email. If that’s ever the less-effective way to do it, and forum comments would be preferred, you will tell us, right? :)

[color=#009900]Forum threads are generally preferred for feedback - because they don’t raise a support ticket, and they encourage discussion. But we appreciate not everyone wants all their comments public![/color]

It’s your choice not to describe tools as ‘broken’ on principle. It is by no means universal; I can’t enforce my preference on you, but I can assure you as a design engineer (who designs tools and uses them) that designers complaining of tools broken-by-design is not uncommon.

But then, you’ll have to squint pretty hard to describe Fallen London as a tool in any conventional sense. &quotA tool to produce fun,&quot but that’s more an exercise in semantics than anything else. In Fallen London’s case, there are at least-- in most cases-- the ability to undo most things. If you make a misstep grinding survivor of the Affair of the Box, for instance, you can undo that. You can’t undo it instantly as with a conventional save and restore, but you can get back to where you were before. Likewise, a recent mis-click got me Plotting Against the Masters, which I emphatically Do Not Want, but I’m pretty sure if I’m patient I can undo that.

Then there are the cases of true permanence, or permanence up to an expenditure of cash. In some cases, it seemed to me as though what the expenditure of cash got me was the opportunity to make a permanent choice that was not well advertised at all. (It was fate locked and involved the Regretful Soldier. It was over so fast I didn’t even realize what had happened, so I don’t have clear memories of it.) Those are the ones that grind directly against my sense of what is fun. I don’t know if I’m in a majority or a minority on that, but I do know from reading the forums that I’m not alone.

While I’m giving feedback, though, in order not to be wholly negative, I do (so far) like the content of the new story line… such that I’ve been able to experience it in the minefield of getting branches turned off and dead-ended. The irritation factor is in direct proportion to my interest in the content. (And so again, to belabor the obvious-to-me, it surprises me that it is so easy to get locked out of content that you should be proud to have people widely experience.) It’s also nice, but certainly not necessary, that there are so many 0-move actions in that story line.

And finally, as a concrete suggestion on notions of permanence, perhaps it’s worth considering some extremely slow-accumulating resource that can be traded in to undo certain stories or results. It already takes four weeks to get a Trade Secret; perhaps an exchange of four Trade Secrets might be a reasonable mechanism. It’s slaved to the clock, so it’s immune to grinding. Three resets a year hardly seems excessive. And at a pure cash value of 450 echoes or 600 stats change points, I doubt they’d be spent lightly except by people at the top of the POSI/cash pyramid, anyway.

I loved this new snippet and hope to get to know other npcs more as well. I’d love to have something like this for each of the acquaintances. I do think there should be warnings on choices that will lock you out of content, but otherwise I loved this.

Oh, we’ve had the discussion about fate locked resets and permanence a few times before - might be worth looking at the disgraced rat threads, and think it’s elsewhere too. It’s designed to deter, and is almost always put in after enough people say they’d pay to change their choice, rather than from the start. From what I can see, it’s not a money spinner but a ‘oh, if you must’. Were it a money thing it would have been there from the beginning. Still, any mechanism put in place is going to be disliked by some - if people were given 3 resets, they’d want 4.

I can’t really understand a mindset that invests emotionally enough with a game that this bothers them, but not such that they’re willing to pay small amounts to support it. I get around awkward locks by using an alt or paying nex, depending how important it is to my main character. Were I really clever I’d play new content on the alt first, but I never think of doing that till after the event.

[quote=Alexis Kennedy][color=#009900]I believe he’s on his primary opportunity card now - he’ll be along.[/color][/quote]He’s got an extra option on A Visit, where he receives his visitor at his home, and then there’s the Functionary at Work card where he’s showing off his desk crowded with papers concerning the Admiralty.

I haven’t dared click on anything. Primarily because I’ve been too busy catching up on other internet-stuff to feel comfortable devoting however much time I’ll need to finish the dialogue tree. But apparently it pays off to let others hit the spiked pit traps before I do. Even if I only hear the screams of anguish, and don’t get to see the maps of those who have gone before, I still know there will be things to watch out for. Horrible, adventure-ending things. No frivolous exploration recommended. Stay in character.

Does anybody have the successful result text for suggesting he bury it? None of my characters passed that test, and I’m curious.

Ohhh. Sorry, then :). Here’s what I sent:

The one-word summary would be ‘confused.’ My family have four characters between us, and play FL almost always as a group, so we all dived into the Wry Functionary new story… and it seemed to close up very fast regardless of what we did. Then I saw on the forum a description of Admiralty-related content, but none of us saw that - I know on my own character I passed a very difficult ‘peek over the shoulder’ Subtlety check, but then everything still seemed to vanish.

So we’re left feeling both confused and rather unfulfilled, I guess. Sorry to be pretty negative here: we all like the wry functionary very much as a character, and it seems as though we have missed out on stuff without knowing why…

…often we’ll deliberately make different choices so as together see all the content; it seems that may have failed us here, but we don’t know why .

Ewan

(Edited: it’s possible, re-reading above, that maybe we just haven’t yet seen the ‘Functionary at work’ card, rather than being locked from that content? In which case much of the comment is moot, but left to explain user thinking :)]
edited by Ewan C. on 10/4/2014

where is the reset even located and how much nex? the only way that code in the e-mail i got advertising the new content could help me is if it offered a reset…
edited by Skathes on 10/4/2014

I think it’s 7 Nex? I saw it on the long conversation storylet not too long ago. You can find it on A Visit, the Wry Functionary option that takes an action to pick.

It is indeed 7.

ok that isn’t to bad

So, I just kind of bull-rushed into this without knowing what I was doing, once the little boost got me to Acquainted 5, and I drew the Day at Work Card.

Now, I’m assuming the work card is about the Admiralty business, and the visit about the Functionary’s personal life? I haven’t gotten to the Long Conversation yet.

So! Feedback so far on the Admiralty storyline. Um… not sure, really. I like the plethora of branching options, and I don’t really mind having them be permanent in decision, but the one thing that annoyed and worried me, and I don’t know if I was being silly or not, but when seeing options that I couldn’t take by lack of quality, I feared “Perhaps-notting” out of the card, since I really didn’t want to wait for it again, or possibly lose out on it (bad memories from my first Slowcake’s Amaneusis card). So, that may have pressured me to rush through it, when I might have stepped back and taken care of a few things to get some more character-appropriate branches more than if it had been a pinned card. Still, it would make sense that it would all have to happen in the course of one conversation, so I guess that’s alright if I think of it in terms of mechanics/story synergy.

I like quirk checks, but having them so high right after the last content update chewed all my high levels… no, didn’t like that at all. I mean, if an option takes subtle 10, which as far as I could tell takes some kind of nex expenditure, why not make that a Fate-Locked option? It’s not exactly unprecedented. This just seems like more busywork.

Well, just tried the Functionary’s new storylet myself and only got as far as his mother and her sigiled amulet. I am a versed reader of the correspondence (level 18, well over the needed 8) but lacked the sufficient connection to the Masters (the needed 5) because I had spurned their ideals last Christmas. A real shame, but it was all quite riveting while it lasted.

But now I really want to hunt this &quotThing Below&quot of which was mentioned… a worthy target for my Monster-Hunter!

edited by Owen Wulf on 10/5/2014