The Wry Functionary and the Admiralty

Level 5, according to the mouseover text.

Seems I’m at dead end with both main themes, with Secrets 3 :(

Are there supposed to be other segments of the story available after you finish with the admiralty? the topics of discussion seem to suggest so, but they’re unclear on wether they can be accessed as of this moment.

I can’t progress on either branch because I can’t find more options. I’m stuck at 3, too.

I do notice that talking about the Admiralty does nothing at all. Talking about the Duchess at least removes the quality afterward, but you just get stuck in a loop with the Admiralty until you walk away.
edited by MidnightVoyager on 9/30/2014

Level 5, according to the mouseover text.[/quote]

Blah I’m nowhere near that >.<

This is good fun! I think I caught all of the love content. I backed out of the admiralty content before I’d played it though and now I seem to have lost it - I can’t get through to it, in any case. A bit of a shame.

I followed love and it was interesting, but I think it’s locked the admiralty for me. Or maybe it’s just reliant on airs I’ve not had despite trying to swoosh through them a bit. Hey ho. Still worth it. :-) (I’m at 15 secrets!)

And yes, if you are honest about your encounter with his mother and are unlucky, he ceases to speak to you. Ware.

I never got even a mention of his mother. I really feel like I somehow got locked out before any of the content really started.

Sometimes, silence is golden. Othertimes, it can have the warm glow of brass. Either can be worthwhile.

Anyone have a good idea on how to grind up connections to the Wry Functionary so I can get the card?

Rare Successes from “Correspond with a Contact in the Shuttered Palace,” or “Playing Cards with the Civil Service,” failure on “Friend of a Friend” option in the High Castle Lodging Opp Card, and using “A Visit” to spend time with him are the only ones I know of.

If you mean picking one wrong step can lock someone out of all the content in both paths without any real warning or indication, that would be super-unpleasant, especially for something that people aren’t allowed to share.

so I really hope that’s not what you’re hinting at here.

It isn’t. I’m suggesting that sometimes you need to give a friend some time to sit quietly and contemplate if you want them to open up further. The other meaning will become apparent if/when you enter the maternal story.

I can’t give too many spoilers even if I wanted to, since I have my Acquaintance zeroed out from 8+ earlier today.

[quote=MidnightVoyager]I can’t progress on either branch because I can’t find more options. I’m stuck at 3, too.

I do notice that talking about the Admiralty does nothing at all. Talking about the Duchess at least removes the quality afterward, but you just get stuck in a loop with the Admiralty until you walk away.
edited by MidnightVoyager on 9/30/2014[/quote]
All of you have gotten much further than I have. Is this just a matter of airs of london, or one of those things where I have to obsessively click on every option just so in order to progress?
EDIT: It turns out I’ve got to wait for an opportunity. Patience it is, then.
edited by ZackOak on 10/1/2014

Oooh, love these kinds of things. Though I haven’t drawn any cards related to it yet, so hopefully I do that soon.

Are there opportunity cards? I haven’t seen any myself.

Had another play with this just now, and the career related conversations (duchess / admirality) do look to be dependent on airs, so if you back out by accident like I did yesterday, you haven’t locked yourself out!

I saw the opportunity card once yesterday; it’s Standard frequency. Unfortunately, I clicked out of it to do something in inventory and it had disappeared when I went back into the story.

I have no reason to assume that I won’t draw it again, but I haven’t done so yet…

Hahaha, Fallen London has been figuring me out rather quickly, at least, because I am wholly more willing to play these murky storylines when they pop up via opportunity cards, even though that’s actually much more inconvenient.

I enjoyed the one I played (EDIT: About the reports received, not the conversation, which I haven’t played yet), but ignored the follow up storylet in my lodgings; and now suddenly it’s a card (and gone from my lodgings) and I fully admit I’m going to play it now.

That aside: while I really enjoyed the one I’ve played so far, I was really unhappy to see options locked out based on quirk levels. The quirks required make total sense, mind you, but: We just got done playing through a festival event that basically required us to absolutely ravage our quirks. Most of my surviving quirks went down to level 6 and have only recovered a little since, despite the fact that I make use of almost every waking action (though I don’t grind quirks intentionally). Like, I had 10 subtlety, but then I went fishing.

So… by playing the Zee festival a lot, I am (seemingly) locked out of a significant number of story options… which seems a touch odd.

Plus, the way quirks worked for the zee festival (and the way they were necessarily destroyed) was pretty gamey & unreal, even though it was fun, but now we’re back to assuming that high levels reflect traits about your character? It’s confusing to switch between game logics quite so quickly. Though honestly, it would be fixed for me if the requirements were simply lower (6-7, rather than 10).

Also I’m not exactly a veteran so salt my feedback as much as is necessary :)

EDIT: I also kinda hope we can replay these storylines, even though that’s really gamey… so I dunno if that’s reasonable to suggest.
edited by thedeadlymoose on 10/2/2014

I got an opportunity card, and now I can explore more of the admiralty, hurrah! I’m enjoying this new content a lot :)

I’m with deadlymoose re the quirks though - it seems unfortunate timing that now we need high quirks, when we just had a fest that decimated our quirks… I hope the content sticks around long enough so I have time to raise my quirks up again so I can pick the option I want.